US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "R"

This page was last updated 26 Mar 2016


These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

Rankin, Edward W., is a great-grandson of William Rankin, who was born in Stirlingshire, Scotland, May 16, 1745 (died 1834), and came to Troy, N. Y., in 1763. He married Wilhelmina Payne, daughter of Dr. Lodowick Dunkel, of New York city. William Rankin, his son, born 1785, died 1869, married Abigail Ogden, of Elizabeth, N. J., in 1809, and removing to Newark, N. J., became prominent in business and religious circles. His son, Edward E. Rankin, D. D., born 1830, died 1889, was pastor at Springfield, N. J., then of the 42d Street Presbyterian church, New York city, 1849 to 1863, when he went to the war under the Christian Commission. From 1866 to 1879 he was pastor of the First Church of Christ at Fairfield, Conn. Retiring in ill health he settled in Hartford for two years and then returned to Newark, N. J. He was one of the directors of the Hartford Theological Seminary and a lecturer in his later years at the Bloomfield Theological Seminary. He married, 1847, Emily Watkinson, of Hartford, Conn., whose family came from Lavenham, Suffolk, England, in 1795. Her father, Edward Watkinson, married Lavinia Hudson, of Hartford, and was a brother and partner of David Watkinson, the founder of the Watkinson Library. Edward Watkinson Rankin, son of Rev. Dr. E. E. Rankin, born in New York city, August 12, 1850, educated at Collegiate School, N. Y. C, Newark Academy and Williston, Easthampton, was graduated at Princeton College in 1871, receiving degree of A. M. in 1874. He studied law at Southport, Conn, (where he also edited the Southport Chronicle), and at Bridgeport. He received degree of LL. B. from the Albany Law School and was admitted to the bar at Albany in 1873. He was in Europe until 1875 and studied for a time at Leipsic. He returned to Albany in 1875, since which time he has followed his profession, making a specialty of office practice and real estate titles. He is a member of the Albany Institute, Albany Historical Society and Albany Camera Club. June 3, 1884, he married Catharine Bogart Putnam daughter of Dr. Alonzo and Harriet Maria (Van Rensselaer) Putman [sic], who on her father's side traces her, descent back six generations to an ancestor coming from Holland. Her grandfather, Cornelius H. Putman [sic], married Gazena Visscher Maybee, the granddaughter of Col. Frederick and Gazena De Grafif Visscher, of Caughnawaga. Mrs. Rankin's mother, Harriet Maria Van Rensselaer, was the daughter of Robert Sanders Van Rensselaer (married Catharine Bogart), who was the son of Col. Philip Van Rensselaer (married Maria Sanders), who built the mansion "Cherry Hill," at Albany in 1768, in which Mr. and Mrs. Rankin now live. Col. Philip Van Rensselaer was a son of Col. Killian Van Rensselaer (married Arriantie Schuyler in 1742), and he the son of Hendrick Van Rensselaer (married Catrina Van Brugh, daughter of Catharine Roeloffsen, and granddaughter of Anneke Jans), who was a brother of Killian Van Rensselaer, the third Patroon of Rensselaerwyck. Mr. and Mrs. Rankin have three children, Edward Elmendorf, Herbert Edward and Emily Watkinson.

Raymond, Charles H., is a son of Benjamin C. and Lois P. (Mather) Raymond, both descendants of English ancestors who settled in New York State early in the seventeenth century. He was born in Albany, January 24, 1834, was educated in the Boys' Academy and Prof. Charles H. Anthony's Classical Institute of his native city, and then spent several years abroad, traveling in the West Indies, South America and Europe. In 1857 he was in the Latin quarter in Paris, where he developed a marked taste for literature and art. Returning to Albany he was appointed by superintendent William Barnes to a clerkship in the newly organized State Department of Insurance, and subsequently succeeded Hon. James W. Husted as deputy superintendent. He also became a member of the Albany Zouave Cadets, and in 1861 enlisted with many other noted members of that body in the Union army. He served with distinction in the Louisiana campaign under Gen. N. P. Banks, but was forced to resign on account of ill health and return home. Being reinstated as deputy in the Insurance Department, he resigned after one year to accept the secretaryship of the Widows' and Orphans' Benefit Life Insurance Company of New York city, which had just been organized with Hon. Lucius Robinson as president. On Mr. Robinson's resignation Mr. Raymond became president and so continued until the company's risks were reinsured in 1871. Later he formed a copartnership with John A. Little, general agent of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York. Mr. Little subsequently retired, and since then Mr. Raymond has had sole charge of the Mutual Life's Metropolitan agency, with offices at 32 Liberty street, New York city. Mr. Raymond was the first president of the Life Insurance Association of New York city and in 1892 was president of the National Association of Life Underwriters. He is one of the best known life insurance men in the east.

Read, Major Harmon Pumpelly, traces his ancestry to Edward Read, armiger, lord of the manor of Beedon in Berkshire, England, high sheriff of Berkshire, 1439, and back to Thomas de Read of Northumberland. The cavalier Richard Read of Oxfordshire, with his greatnephews, Sir Compton and Edward Read, defended Barton Court against the Parliamentarians until it was burned over his head. His great-grandson, Col. John Read (grandson of Sir Charles, who came to Dublin where he held estates) born in Dublin, Ireland, January 15, 1688, became a large land owner in Maryland and Delaware and a founder of the city of Charleston. Hon. George Read, his son, born September 17, 1733, in Maryland, died September 21, 1798, in New Castle, Delaware, was the author of the first constitution and the first edition of the laws of Delaware and signed the original petition to the king of the Congress of 1774, the Declaration of Independence, and the constitution of the United States. Hon. John Read, son of George, was U. S. agent-general from 1797 to 1809. His son, Hon. John Meredith Read, LL.D., was one of the candidates for the presidency of the U. S. in 1860, was U. S. district attorney eight years, attorney-general of Pennsylvania, solicitor-general of the Treasury Department, chief justice of Pennsylvania, one of the most emment of the leaders of the Freesoil movement which gave birth to the Republican party, grand master of Masons of Pennsylvania, etc. Gen. John Meredith Read, son of the latter, born in Philadelphia, Pa., February 21, 1837, was graduated from Brown University and the Albany Law School, and in 1860 became adjutant-general of New York and also organized the "wide awake" movement in this State. He was the first U. S. consul-general to France and Algeria during the Franco-German war, and at the request of the German government he occupied the same position for that country. November 7, 1873, he became U. S. minister to Greece. He later resigned from that position, and for distinguished services on behalf of Greece, was created by King George a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer, the highest dignity bestowed by that country. April 7, 1859, he married Delphine Marie, daughter of Harmon Pumpelly of Albany. Their son, Harmon Pumpelly Read born July 13, 1860, was educated at St. John's Military Academy, Sing Sing, N.Y., and Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., and spent some time in study abroad. As a Republican, he has always taken special interest in the laboring classes and in 1885 was nominated for the Assembly, but was defeated in a Democratic stronghold. He was president of the Y. M. A. in 1886 and the same year was a member of the civic day and tableting committee during Albany's Bi-Centennial celebration. In 1893 he was the vice-chairman of the committee appointed by the mayor of Albany to receive the Duke of Veragua. He became acting-chairman on account of the absence of the chairman, Charles Tracey, and upon Major Read alone devolved the whole responsibility of the public reception and grand tour through the North Woods. With what success he carried out these various duties is shown in the Duke of Veragua's own words: "Among my most pleasant remembrances of America will be my reception in Albany and trip to the Adirondacks." He has taken an active interest in genealogy and history, is quoted as one of the three greatest authorities on heraldry in this country, and in 1894 was one of the original promoters of Albany's historical pageant of December 3, 5 and 7. January 15, 1895, he was elected Regent of Philip Livingston Chapter Sons of the Revolution, succeeding Hon. Matthew Hale, the first president. He was inspector of rifle practice in the old 5th Brig., N. G. S. N. Y. He is a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society of France, the Historical Societies of New York and Pennsylvania and of many other learned societies of Europe and America. In 1889 he married Marguerite, daughter of the late Jacques Frederic de Carronot Franche Comte, France, a descendant of an ancient Huguenot family. He has been an active Scottish Rite Mason and is looked upon as one of the most learned of the craft in the history of the order. He has made a special study of the social conditions of the various classes in Europe and America before the American Revolution, and of the customs and laws relating to the nobility, gentry and yeomanry of that period. He has been a constant contributor to the press, writing under various names.

Reavy, Frank C., has been one of the leading undertakers of Cohoes since 1870. His father was John Reavy, a merchant who went from Montreal when Frank was born in 1843, to Chicopee, Mass., in 1844, coming here in 1858. Mr. Reavy began business life at fifteen years of age. After remaining in the cotton mills for a few years he learned the carpenter's trade, spending three years in New York at the business before establishing for himself. He served as school commissioner, supervisor, city hall commissioner, and many minor offices. He is a member of the Business Men's Association, of the A. O. U. W., the A. O. H., and K. of C.

Reid, William James, was born in New Salem, Albany county, March 6, 1835. George the grandfather, was a native of Scotland, who came to America, before 1785, and settled in the town of New Scotland. He was a farmer and reared eight children, and died in 1805. One of his sons, James, was the first supervisor of the town and held the office from 1833 to 1838. Alexander, the father, was born in New Scotland in 1801 and spent most of his life here. When a young man he settled in the town of Berne, where is now Reidville, which was named in his honor. Through his efforts a post-office was established and he was appointed postmaster, and also conducted a store and hotel. He remained there for about six years, when he returned to New Salem, where he engaged as a wheelwright, which business he followed until he retired on account of ill-health. His wife was Sophia Thompson, born in New Scotland, by whom eight children were born: Eliza J., George A., Margaret, Maria, Alexander, William J., Ann and John. Mr. Reid died in 1878 at the age of seventy-seven, and his wife died in 1869. William J., when sixteen years of age, began learning and working at the wheelwright trade in his father's shop and has followed this business since. For many years he manufactured sleighs and wagons and employed several men to help him. After his marriage, in 1859, he opened a shop for himself and has always met with success in his business. In early life he manifested a keen and intelligent interest in the political affairs of his town and county, and when twenty-eight years of age was elected justice of the peace and filled the office with satisfaction for twenty years. He was justice of sessions during the years 1872, '73, '81 and '82, and was elected supervisor of the town for the years 1886, '87, and '88, and since 1883 he has been notary public. He has been chosen many times as representative to county and State conventions. In 1859 he married Catherine Paterson, daughter of Alexander Paterson, who was born in New Scotland and is of Scotch ancestry, his grandfather, John, being one of the early emigrant settlers in this town. Their children are Mrs. Margaret Raynsford of Jersey city; Mrs. Mary Moak of the same place; and William P., who is with the National Express Company at Jersey city.

Reiley, Patrick, came to West Troy when twelve years of age, and is one of the older citizens of this city. He has always resided in the same block, and has conducted a grocery store here for forty-nine years. He has led an active political life and is now postmaster. Among the many public offices he has held are school trustee, village trustee, supervisor, overseer of the poor, and many others. Mr. Reiley was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1822, coming to America when seven years of age, and settling in Troy. He has served thirty-six years as treasurer of St. Patrick's church, and forty-two years as trustee.

Reinhart, H. E. , though apparently not past the prime of life, is a pioneer settler of Cohoes, coming here in 1853 from Berne, N. Y., where he was born in 1838. He is of Dutch descent, and a son of John Reinhart, a hat manufacturer. Here he learned the machinist trade, which vocation he followed; having been associated with the Granite Mill of William Moore since 1886. In 1861 he married Marie Osterhout of Cohoes, by whom he has one daughter, Elizabeth, wife of William Leroy of this place.

Relyea, Abram, was born in Guilderland, November 19, 1835. David D., his grandfather, was a native of Guiiderland and a farmer by occupation. He reared five sons and six daughters, all of whom he provided liberally for. Peter D., his father, was also a native of Guilderland, born in 1808. He came in possession of his father's homestead, where he spent most of his life. His wife was Magdalen Mann, and their children were Mrs. Sarah Miller, Abram, Mrs. Adeline Van Patten, Mrs. Mary Jane Schermerhorn of Schenectady, Mrs. Catherine Van Buren, and Emma. He died in 1848 and his wife died in 1883. Abram attended the common schools, and at his father's death he was twelve years of age, and was obliged to care for himself. He then went to Cato, Cayuga county, and engaged at farm work, and also lived in Onondaga county. He later worked at blacksmithing for a short time and spent five years in Schenectady, and in 1862 came to New Scotland, where he was on a farm until 1864. He then enlisted in the 11th New York Independent Battery and served until the close of the war. Upon his return to Voorheesville he engaged in the meat business and later engaged in carpentry and followed contracting and building until 1893. He erected the Presbyterian church in Voorheesville, several of the prominent residences, and some of the stores. He was elected justice of the peace in the town of New Scotland in 1880, being the first Democratic justice elected in thirty years. He was constable for some time and was deputy sheriff for nine years, and was also court crier in 1895. He has often been chosen delegate to County and Assembly Conventions, and was chairman of the Democratic town organization, and is now a member of the general Democratic county organization. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Noah Lodge No. 754 of Altamont, and is also a member of Temple Chapter No. 5, Commandery No. 2, and the Shrine of Albany. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity. No. 668 of Voorheesville, in which he has passed through several of the chairs and is now trustee and treasurer, and at one time was treasurer of the Presbyterian church and also of the Driving Association. In 1868 he married Amelia M. Earl, born in New Scotland and daughter of Benjamin and Margaret (Stalker) Earl. Their children are Charlie A. and Grace. The Relyeas were originally French Huguenots, who fled from France to Holland, whence they came to America.

Relyea, Peter J., was born in Guilderland on the farm he owns in 1832. He was a son of Jacob Relyea, born in Guilderland in 1790. Jacob D., the father, purchased the farm of 100 acres, where Mr. Relyea now resides and devoted his life to farming. His wife was Mary Spoore, daughter of Abram Spoore; their children were William, Daniel, Abram, Jacob, who died when young; Hannah, Maria, Rachel and Peter J. He died in 1873, and his wife died in 1869 at the age of seventy-nine years. Peter J. has .spent his whole life on the homestead, a part of which he came in possession of and to which he has added, and now owns a farm of 101 acres. He remained with and cared for his parents until their death. He has been assessor, collector, school trustee, roadmaster, and is now serving his fourth term as assessor. He has often been chosen juryman and delegate to the county conventions. In 1851 he married Elizabeth Smith, born in Guilderland in 1835, daughter of Peter and Marion (Wands) Smith, and granddaughter of Ebenezer Wands and Zachariah Smith. Mr. and Mrs. Relyea are members of the Reformed church, in which he has been deacon and elder. They have reared and cared for one of Mr. Relyea's brother's sons since he was four years of age. Mr. Relyea was president of the Prospect Hill Cemetery for a number of years, and is also one of the trustees.

Reynolds, Charles W., was born in Petersburgh, Rensselaer county, N. Y., February 8, 1848. He is descended from William Reynolds of Providence, R. I., who, on August 20, 1637, with twelve others including Roger Williams, signed the following compact:

We whose names are here under, desire to inhabit in the town of Providence, do promise to subject ourselves in active and passive obedience to all such orders or agreements as shall be made for public good of the body, in an orderly way by the major assent of the present inhabitants, masters of families incorporated into a town fellowship, and such others whom they shall admit unto them, only in civil things.1

The great-grandfather of Charles W., William W. Reynolds, came from Westerly, R. I., and settled in Petersburgh in 1780. Prior to this, in 1777, he served in the defense of his country against the English, at the battle of Bennington. He spent his remaining days in Petersburgh, being supervisor in 1801, 1802 and 1803, and magistrate for many years. The grandfather of this subject was Parley Reynolds, who was born in Petersburgh in 1780. He became a merchant and for many years, in partnership with his brother Thomas, conducted an extensive and profitable business in Petersburgh, and was supervisor in 1837 and 1838. William W. Reynolds, the father of Charles W., was born September 25, 1816, and died June 4, 1876, and was supervisor in 1847, 1848, 1856 and 1857. He was married to Mary (born January 14, 1825), daughter of Braddock Peckham, Jr. (born June 4, 1781, died January 7, 1834), and granddaughter of Braddock Peckham, Sr. (born May 4, 1757, died January 9, 1830), who was a soldier in a Rhode Island regiment during the Revolutionary war. Previous to this service he was second in command in an expedition composed of patriotic citizens of Wickford, R. I., that made a prisoner of the British General Prescott, July 10, 1777, at Newport, R. I.; the prisoner was delivered to General Washington at Newburgh by the same party, and on July 18, 1777, was exchanged for Major-General Harry Lightfoot Lee. At the close of his connection with this duty, he came to the valley of the Little Hoosick, looking for a future home. He had but just arrived when Captain Hull's company was being formed to go to the relief of General Stark at Bennington; he joined this company, was made lieutenant and served in that capacity at the battle of Bennington and continued with the company until after the battle of Bemis Heights and the surrender of Burgoyne, when the company was disbanded; he then joined the command of General Gates and with that little army of 1,500 marched away to New Jersey. He was at the defeat of Brandywine and on the bloody field of Monmouth. He remained with General Gates's command until the latter was superseded by Gen. Nathaniel Greene, and with him saw the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. At the termination of the war he returned to his home in Rhode Island, and in 1786, accompanied by his brother Abel, came to the beautiful valley of the Little Hoosick and there reared a family of thirteen children and where many of his descendants still reside. The first ancestor in this county of Braddock Peckham was John Peckham of Newport, R. I., who was admitted an inhabitant May 20, 1638; he married Mary Clarke, who was a sister of the Rev. John Clarke from Bradfordshire, England, "one of the ablest men of the seventeenth century and a founder of Rhode Island." In 1648 John Peckham was one of the ten male members in full communion of the First Baptist church. Charles W. Reynolds grew to manhood on his father's farm, and obtained his education in the common schools, at Fort Edward Institute and Alfred University. When twenty-one years of age his father assisted him in purchasing an interest in a general store in the village of Petersburgh in partnership with the late David H. Kellyer where they soon after, in connection with their mercantile interests, began the manufacture of shirts by contract, and with such encouraging success that in 1874 they sold their store and engaged exclusively in the manufacture of shirts on their own account, in which undertaking they have been successful as well as furnishing employment to a large number of people. Mr. Reynolds makes the village of Petersburgh his home, but spends the winters at his Albany residence where his children enjoy greater educational advantages. In 1874 he married Lucy M. Gifford, born December 7, 1856, a native of Albany and daughter of Alonzo (born March 9, 1832) and Mary J. (Hakes) Gifford (born August 4, 1835), who has borne him five children, as follows: William G., born August 13, 1875; George T., born September 21, 1878; Grace born December 31, 1880; Alonzo P., born January 21, 1886; and Noyes, born April 8, 1891. Mr. Reynolds has traveled extensively over the United States, and in 1891, accompanied by his son William G., was of the party of over two hundred Knights Templar who visited Europe. Mr. Reynolds has never sought office, but in the spring of 1896 was elected supervisor of Petersburgh without opposition and at a considerable personal sacrifice consented to serve in that capacity.

1 "The government established by these primitive settlers of Providence was an anomaly in the history of the world. At the outset it was a pure democracy, which for the first time guarded jealously the rights of conscience by ignoring any power in the body politic to interfere with those matters that concern man and his Maker. Principle, not precedent, formed their only standard of judgment. Could the record of their proceedings have been preserved (meetings were held monthly), with what interest should we now pursue the debates of this earliest of modern democracies!" Arnold's History of Rhode Island.

Reynolds, Lewis W., born in Westerlo, is the son of Jared and Delilah E. (Showers) Reynolds, both natives of Westerlo, and grandson of Lewis and Elizabeth (Husted) Reynolds, who lived and died on the farm where Lewis W. Reynolds now resides, and which was bought by his great-grandfather, Jared Reynolds. Jared, the father of Lewis Reynolds, was a farmer, merchant and hotel-keeper at South Westerlo. He had a general store and did a large business in handling farm implements. After his death in 1893 Lewis W. Reynolds carried on the store until 1892, and the hotel until 1894. Mr. and Mrs. Jared Reynolds were married in 1864 and had six children: Jennie, wife of Frank Ingalls, Lewis, Electus, Myra, Jessie and Harry. Mr. Reynolds was a Democrat and deputy sheriff and gave support to the Christian church.

Rheinhart, Alonzo L., was born in the town of Berne, July 13, 1858. John Rheinhart, his great-grandfather, was a native of Germany and immigrated to America in 1762, settling in or about New York. When the Revolutionary war broke out he enlisted and served through the whole war. Johannes Rheinhart, the grandfather, was born in Berne on the homestead where he was a lifelong farmer and owned a farm of 113 acres. His children were Catharine, Peter, David, William and Adam. Peter, the father of Alonzo Rheinhart, was born in Berne in 1803. In early life he was a farmer, but later became a shoemaker in the village of Berne. His last days were spent in Knox. He was twice married, his first wife being Christiana Deitz, and their children were Louisa (wife of David Ball of Berne), Matilda (wife of Isaac Ball of Schoharie), and Christiana, who died when fourteen. His second wife was Mary Ann, daughter of William Havens of Knox, and they had the following children: Harrison, Catharine, Addison (who was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, 1860 to 1865, enlisting in Co. E, 7th N. Y. Heavy Artillery for three years, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Cold Harbor and was a prisoner in the Andersonville prison eleven months, and died in 1870), Morgan (who served in the army the last year of the war of the Rebellion), Lucy, Irvin, Mary J. and Alonzo L. Alonzo L. remained with his father until twenty three years of age. He attended the common schools and began life for himself as a farmer, which vocation he has since followed. In the spring of 1888 he moved to the town of Berne on his present farm of sixty acres, where he has since resided, doing general farming. In 1890 Mr. Rheinhart was elected town clerk and several times he has been called upon to represent his town and district at town, county and assembly conventions. In 1887 he married Ida, daughter of Charles G. and Margaret (Schoonmaker) Frink, and they have two children, Frank A. and Minnie. Mr. Frink, father of Mrs. Rheinhart, was a prominent man in the town of Knox, representing his town on the Board of Supervisors several terms; he was also one of the most successful farmers and at the time of his death his wealth was $50,000.

Rice, Joseph Taft, who for many years was prominently identified with Albany's interests, was born in Shrewsbury, Mass., January 22. 1787. He was a lineal descendant from Edmund Rice, who was born in Wales in 1594, moved to Hertfordshire, England, and in 1638, with his wife and seven children came to this country and settled in Sudbury, Mass. He died at Marlboro, Mass., March 3, 1663, and was buried at Sudbury. Joseph Taft Rice settled in Albany in 1808 and engaged in the most extensive manufacture of silver ware west of New York city, continuing it until 1832. Many of the older citizens yet have the productions of his manufacture which are highly prized as heirlooms and for their sterling worth. September 4, 1811, he married Jane, daughter of Gilbert Gumming of Strothspay, Scotland; they were blessed with thirteen children all born and reared in this city. One of his sons was killed in the late war and the others have honorably filled responsible public positions. Mr. Rice was one of the original members of the Republican Artillery organized in 1810. He was closely affliated with De Witt Clinton, William H. Swan, Thurlow Weed and other public men of that period. He was very noticeable for his commanding figure and walk and was of a genial temperament. He died June 19, 1854.

Richardson, William J. and Alexander, are sons of William Richardson, who came from Ireland in 1830 and settled the farm where his sons now live. William J. married Jennie Ross, who died in 1892, and left three sons and three daughters: George A., Walter J., William, Anna, Jennie, and Lottie. The grandfather of Mr. Richardson, John Richardson, came to America at the time of the Revolutionary war. He was a soldier and returned to Ireland, where he died.

Rickard, Hon. Michael, was born in East Creek, Herkimer county, February 1, 1837. His father was a section boss on the old Utica and Schenectady (now the Central) road, and lost his life by the cars. Shortly after his father's death Mr. Rickard was employed as line boy for civil engineers who were surveying the route for new tracks. Later he was employed as ticket agent at Amsterdam, N. Y., then clerk in the freight house at Fort Plain, N. Y., and subsequently he went on the road as fireman. It was not long, however, before he was promoted to the position of engineer and he soon became one of the most expert in charge of a locomotive. For some time he was engine dispatcher at Utica, N. Y., and then went back on the road, being placed in charge of engines on some of the most important trains on the Central. He was prominent in the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, was one of the charter members and held various offices. November 14, 1887, he was ap- pointed a railroad commissioner to succeed John D. Kernan, resigned. Governor Hill reappointed him for the term of five years oh January 29, 1888, and on January 29, 1893, Governor Flower reappointed him for another term. The first Mr. Rickard knew of his appointment was on November 14, 1887, when he stepped off his engine at the Union Station and was handed his commission by a friend, who had obtained it from Governor Hill to hand to the commissioner when he arrived in Albany on his locomotive. Commissioner Rickard left a widow and four children, who reside in Albany at his late home, No. 233 Madison avenue. One daughter is the wife of Fred S. Howell, the well-known broker. Edward H., the elder brother, is employed by the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville railroad. Another son, Raymond C, is a stenographer in the office of the car shops at West Albany. Mr. Rickard was always at his desk in the Capitol when the committee was not in session. He had many friends among railroad men and was beloved by all.

Ridgway & Russ. This is the oldest plumbing firm in Albany and one of the oldest in the State, having been estabhshed in Albany in 1843 by J. & F. W. Ridgway, who came here from New York city, being located there at 145 Broadway. They continued business in this city for three years, when the brothers separated, Jonathan going to Boston and F. W. continuing here alone until his death in 1851, at the age of thirty-four. His widow carried on the establishment for a year or two, when it passed into the hands of Mrs. Ridgway, Herman H. Russ and Edmund Nesbitt, who composed the firm of Ridgway & Co. About sixteen years later Mr. Nesbitt retired and the firm of Ridgway & Russ was formed. Mrs. Ridgway withdrew about 1870 and her interest has since been represented by her son, Frederick W. Herman H. Russ, born in Albany, October 23, 1829, is one of the best known business men in the State, and has been street commissioner and one of the public building commissioners of the capital city and is at present a member of the Board of Health. He is a prominent and highly respected Free Mason, 33d degree, is grand treasurer of the Grand Chapter R. A. M., and a charter member of the Albany Club, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of all good citizens. He has been engaged in business in the firm's present building for fifty years and is now the oldest active merchant on State street in Albany. Adam Russ, his father, born in Germantown, N. Y., in 1774, came to Albany in 1790 and died here in 1863. He was for a long time inspector and measurer of grain, carried on a large freight business by teams between Albany and Buffalo until 1825, when the canal was opened, collected State taxes, served as alderman of the Fourth ward in 1815-16, and was a member and elder of the Second Reformed Dutch church, now located on the corner of Madison aveuue and Swan street. Mr. Ridgway, born in Albany, July 19, 1849, has been connected with the firm for thirty years, is a member of the Masonic order, was formerly a member of the National Guard, is a charter member of the Old Guard of Co. A. 10th Bat., N. G. N. Y.. and is one of the water commissioners appointed by Mayor Wilson. He is also a charter member of the Albany Club and one of its board of governors. He is an active and progressive business man and highly respected. The firm does a large business in plumbing and heating all over the country and has executed heavy contracts in Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina and several other States.

Rivet, F. A. W., M. D., one of the oldest physicians of Green Island, was born at Montreal in 1847. His father was a farmer, and when about nineteen he began the study of medicine at "College Point aux Trembles" near Montreal, graduating from this institution with honors in 1871. He took a post-graduate course at McGill College. Practicing his profession at Au Sable Falls for eight years, and about the same length of time at Indian Fields, he came to Green Island in 1887. Dr. Rivet is of the eclectic school of practice. He has been health officer for a long term of years.

Robertson, Matthew Henry, second deputy superintendent of insurance of the State of New York, was born in the Burrough of Malmesbury, County of Wiltshire, England, February 14, 1838, a son of James and Elizabeth (Worcester) Robertson. His early educational advantages were unusually good, he having as tutor the Rev. J. G. Kaltofen, an eminent divine and professor of music and the languages. In 1854 Mr. Robertson entered the law office of Hon. William Stephens Jones, a well known attorney and counselor at law, of Malmesbury, remaining with him about two years, and there began the study of law. His father, James Robertson, had left the family estate known as "Maunditt's Park," a beautiful old place with rambling stone house and extensive lands just outside of Malmesbury, and moved into the town, residing there several years, and in September, 1855, decided to join his brother, John Robertson, who was then, and had been for many years, a resident of the United States, living on a large estate called "Maidford Park" near the city of Oswego, N. Y. From Oswego Matthew H. Robertson moved to Albany, N. Y., and in September, 1856, entered the law office of Hon. William Barnes and continued the study of law until January, 1860, when the insurance department being organized and Hon. William Barnes appointed superintendent. Mr. Robertson soon after, on May 1, 1860, became a regular clerk in that department; in January, 1870, he became chief clerk in said department and continued as such until June, 1892, when the Hon. James F. Pierce, superintendent, appointed him second deputy superintendent of insurance, which position he now holds. Mr. Robertson has been a vestryman of St. Paul's Episcopal church, Albany, for many years. He married, June 2, 1863, Elizabeth Clute, daughter of the late Cornelius P. Clute of Schenectady, and they have one daughter.

Robinson, James A., son of Albert S. and Anna M. (Preston) Robinson, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., in 1862. He moved to Albany with his parents in the early seventies, and attended the public and high schools and the Albany Academy. He afterward became a student in the law office of Cliflford D. Gregory and remained there five years, in the mean time bemg admitted to the bar. He subsequently became connected with the Hon. Robert G. Scherer and remained with him three years. Since then Mr. Robinson has practiced law at No. 68 State street. He is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men and Capital City Lodge No. 440, I. O. O. F. In 1893 he married Genevieve Bigelow of Albany.

Robinson, Robert J., was born in Albany, June 19, 1869, and is the only son of Robert and Caroline (Garrity) Robinson. His father was born in the North of Ireland, and coming to Albany, engaged in the merchant tailoring business until his death, which occurred September 13, 1892; his mother died in 1882. Robert J. Robinson was educated in the public schools and academy, and the Albany Business College; he then associated himself with his father and learned the trade of merchant tailoring, and on his father's death succeeded him in business. His father was a Mason, and he is a member of the Albany County Wheelmen. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417. F. & A. M., Temple Chapter No. 5, R. A. M., and the Masonic Veteran Association. In 1862 he married Christina A., daughter of William Logan of County Armagh, Ireland, and they have five children living: James Samuel, Martha J., Tysie Estelle, John Hall and Elizabeth Shanks.

Robinson, Walter Foote, M. D., son of Albert David and Helen (Fay) Robinson, was born in Albany October 13, 1860. His father was appointed paymaster in the army and moved the family to Washington, D. C, where Dr. Robinson prepared for Princeton College in Mr. Young's Academy. After graduating from Princeton with the degree of B. S., he entered the Albany Medical College and was graduated therefrom in 1884 with the degree of M. D. He spent one year in the Albany Homeopathic Hospital and two years in general practice and then for three years made a specialty of the study of mental and nervous diseases, attending lectures in all the principal hospitals of Pans, Vienna, Berlin and Heidelberg. In October, 1890, he returned to Albany, where he has since practiced his specialty of mental and nervous diseases. Dr. Robinson has perfected a number of electrical appliances of value to the medical profession. He is a member of the American Electro-Therapeutic Association, the Albany Medical Society and the Albany Country Club.

Rochford, W. P., a resident of West Troy, is at present engaged as superintendent at Tim & Co.'s Shirt, Collar and Cuff Manufactory. He is of French ancestry, born at Chester, Vt., in 1859. After residing in Montreal and North Bennington for a short time, he came to Troy in 1874. He had learned the shoemaking trade of his father, Peter Rochford, but went to work at Holmes & Ide's collar shop, also E. L. Killop's laundry, and spent one year in Richard Davis's laundry. He left Cluett, Coon & Co., where he had been nearly thirteen years superintendent of the shirt, collar and cuff laundries, and in 1894 went to Clifton, Staten Island, to engage in business for himself, laundering new goods only. He has only recently returned here, where he is well known for his sterling worth and enterprising abilities. Mr. Rochford now owns a custom laundry at Bennington, Vt. which is operated by a resident manager.

Rockwell Hiram J., son of George T., was born in Luzerne, Warren county, N. Y., July 13, 1832, was educated at the Glens Falls Academy, and was afterwards associated with his father at the Rockwell House at Luzerne until 1866, when he assumed charge of the Lake House at Lake George, which he successfully conducted for five years. In 1871 he built with his brother, Charles L., the Rockwell House at Glens Falls, which they kept until 1878, when Hiram J. became manager of the Fort Williamt [sic] Henry Hotel at Lake George for one season. He was then proprietor of the American House in Troy for nine and one-half years, being also manager of the Wayside Inn at Lake Luzerne for seven years. May 14, 1888, he came to Albany as proprietor of the Hotel Kenmore, which was built in 1878 by Dr. James McNaughton for Adam Blake, the noted landlord of the old Congress Hall. Later this popular hotel received several additions and now occupies a whole block, excepting Jermain Hall, fronting on North Pearl street. It is the largest and foremost hotel in Albany, and under the able management of the Rockwells has attained a wide popularity. In December, 1895, Mr. Rockwell admitted his son Frederick W. as partner, under the firm name of H. J. Rockwell & Son. Both are members of the New York Hotel Association, of which Hiram J. is one of the originators and founders, and which he served as treasurer until the spring of 1896.

Rogers, Howard Jason, born in Stephentown N. Y., November 16, 1861, is a son of Edwin A. and Laura (Howard) Rogers, and a lineal descendant of Deacon Joseph Rogers (1), who moved from Rhode Island to Stephentown in 1765. The line from him is (2) Joseph, farmer, local magistrate and a captain of militia; (3) Joseph, captain of cavalry in the war of 1813; (4) Alonzo Joseph, one of the earliest seedsmen in the State; and (5) Edwin A., who enlisted in 1862 in the 135th N. Y. Vols., was wounded at the battle of Spottsylvania and died from the effects of the wound in 1878. In his mothers line Howard J. Rogers is lineally descended from Nicholas Howard, who came from England to Salem, Mass., with Endicott in 1638; and from Gen. Hosea Moffit, a member of the New York Legislature from 1794 to 17S8, sheriff of Rensselaer county in 1810, and a member of Congress from 1812 to 1817. In 1879 Mr. Rogers removed to Pittsfield, Mass., and was graduated from the Pittsfield High School in 1880 and from Williams College in 1884, winning among other honors the Graves prize for the best English essay, and taking an active part in athletics. On leaving college he came to Albany, N. Y., and taught English literature and rhetoric in the Albany Boys' Academy for eight years, reading law meanwhile with Heyward & Pruyn. He was admitted to the bar in June, 1887. In 1892 he was made superintendent of the New York State Educational Exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago; in the latter part of 1893 he became acting secretary for the New York Board of General Managers at the World's Fair, and as such wrote their elaborate report, "New York at the World's Columbian Exposition." April 8, 1895, he was appointed deputy State superintendent of public instruction. He was one of the of the organizers of the Albany Chess Club in 1886 and served as its secretary until 1888 and as president from 1888 to 1890, and is now vice-president of the Albany Chess and Whist Club. He was secretary of the New York State Chess Association from 1889 to 1893, and has since been its president. In December, 1887, he married at New Haven, Conn., Anne North, daughter of Jonathan Turner, and their children are Kathryn Howard and Joseph Edwin.

Rogers, W. Seymour, son of Samuel and Gertrude A. (Snyder) Rogers, was born in Hudson, N. Y., July 12, 1854. He is of Holland-Dutch descent on his mother's side and English on his father's side, being a descendant of the original Rhode Island Rogers, who came to America early in the fifteenth century. He received his education at the Hudson River Institute and Claverack College and subsequently worked three years in a paper mill owned by his uncle, Harper W. Rogers, at one time mayor of Hudson and member of assembly. Mr. Rogers moved to Albany in 1876 and engaged in the poultry and game business, which he has since followed. In 1876 he married Maggie Miller, daughter of W. Ellsworth Miller, of Claverack, Columbia county, and they have two children: Elsie D. and Lola.

Romeyn, Theodore F., born in Amsterdam, N. Y., is a son of Henry S. and Agnes (Van Epps) Romeyn, and was educated in the public schools and academy of his native town. He spent two years in Canada and nine years in Wisconsin, as abridge builder. In 1865 he came to Albany and engaged in box manufacturing at No. 214 Hudson avenue; he manufactured all kinds of wooden boxes, cases, etc. He was one of the organizers of The Pure Baking Powder Company and its secretary. He married Mary Conde, of Glenville, Schenectady county.

Ronan, Parker C. was born in Albany, N. Y., on July 22, 1868, and is a son of the late Patrick Ronan, who was, for a great many years, the sole proprietor of the "Ronan Line" of Steamers, plying between Albany and New York City. Parker attended the "Boys Academy," at Albany, and when twenty years old, entered his father's oflfice, as bookkeeper, and remained as such for several years. He was later made superintendent of the line, and upon the death of his brother, John D., (in 1893) he succeeded to the proprietorship of the entire business, which his father, Patrick, had bequeathed to the brothers shortly before his decease, (in 1888). Mr. Ronan was united in marriage, in the autumn of 1888, to Miss Isabelle M. McQuade, of Albany, and they have one child, a son, Samuel M. Mr. Ronan is treasurer of the Albany Lodge, No. 49, B. P. O. E., a member of the Albany Club, and Albany Yacht Club, and a life member of the Catholic Union. He is a man of sterling worth and successfully maintains the business left him by his father.

Rosemond, James, came to New York from Ireland, where he was born in 1859, with his widowed mother who is still a resident of Cohoes. He was educated in New York in the grammar schools and first engaged in the dry goods business where he remained for four years. He then came to Cohoes and acquired the plumber's trade, working for three years in the Harmony Mills and nine years with Burbanks & Co. In 1893 this enterprising young man engaged in business for himself at No. 93 Main street, and has developed an extensive industry in plumbing and tin-roofing, also steam and hot water heating, making a specialty of beer apparatus. The position he now holds in the front rank of the young men of today is due to his own personal efforts and sterling characteristics.

Rosenthall, Mitchell, editor and publisher of the Sunday Regulator, is one of the leading newspaper men of the city of Cohoes. Mr. Rosenthall has always been interested in journalism and has had wide experience in newspaper work, doing special work for many out of town papers. For several years he was correspondent for the Troy Telegram, then became its city editor in 1885. He was also connected with the Troy Budget, at the time serving as deputy postmaster, to which office he was appointed in 1877, holding it for eight years in all. He is a Republican and has been school commissioner. His father was Abram Rosenthall, an honored and highly esteemed citizen of Cohoes, since 1869. He was a native of Warsaw, Poland, and an extensive traveler, paying his expenses in foreign countries by making passamenteries, then coming to America before reching man's estate. He joined the gold seekers in California, but soon located in New York, where he married, then returned to California, where Mitchell was born, in 1856. After stopping in St. Louis, New York, and Troy, he finally located in Cohoes and engaged as a retail clothier, until his death, February 6, 1896. He is survived by his widow and two sons.

Rowe, Wilhelmus, was born in the town of Westerlo January 20, 1836. Wilhelmus, his great-grandfather, came from Holland and grew to manhood in Dutchess county, N. Y. After he married he settled on a farm near O-nes-que-thaw, in the town of New Scotland, and died at eighty-eight; his wife died at ninety; he left two sons, Conrad and Frederick. Conrad, the grandfather, was born in 1773 and died in 1848 on the farm where he was born; his wife was Sally Hoyt; they reared four sons, William, Richard, Henry and Samuel, and three daughters. Richard, the father, was born in 1808 and died in 1891, was also a farmer; his wife was Elizabeth Bogardus, born in the town of Berne and was the daughter of John Bogardus; they reared three sons, Wilhelmus, John and Conrad, and three daughters. Mrs. Rowe died in 1876. Wilhelmus was a contractor and builder and in 1856 went to Winona, in the then Territory of Minnesota, afterward to Memphis, Tenn.; he was in Tennessee at the outbreak of the Civil war and was conscripted in the rebel army, and after Beaureguard took command was detailed to guard prisoners from Corinth to Holly Springs, Miss.; was second lieutenant in a company of Home Guards. Immediately after the fall of Memphis he made his way north, and three months afterward was drafted in the Union army, but was exempted on the grounds of having been in the rebel army. In 1866 he married Elizabeth H. Bennett, daughter of Rushmore Bennett, of Clarksville, whose father, Daniel Bennett, was born at Stone near Berkley, Glostershire, England, in 1777, and came to the United States in 1802; he married Abigail Rushmore of New Salem and settled on a farm near that village, where he died while still a young man, leaving three sons, William, Rushmore and Thomas, and one daughter. Rushmore married Emily Whitcomb, who was a daughter of Roswell Whitcomb, a preacher in the Society of Friends; his father had come from Connecticut with pack and ax when Albany county was a comparative wilderness, to take up a farm under what was then considered the very advantageous offer of the Albany patroon, Van Rensselaer; he settled in Berne. Mr. Bennett was a farmer and mill owner in Clarksville, and built the third house in that village; he was a Republican in politics and his name appears on the first Republican county ticket, the ticket with white letters on a black ground, which gave to the Republican party the name of Black Republicans; he reared one son, Erasmus, and two daughters, and died in 1875; his wife in 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Rowe still reside on the Bennett homestead, a farm of 200 acres, and have three sons, Erasmus B., born in 1866, R. Burton, born in 1872, and Anson H., born in 1882.

Rundell, Darius, born in Westerlo, September 3, 1832, is a son of Jeremiah and Eliza (Lockwood) Rundell, both natives of Westerlo, where she died in 1849. He removed to Columbia county, where he died in 1892. He was a Republican and a member of the Masons in Columbia county. The grandparents of Darius, Isaac and Hannah (Scott) Rundell, came to Westerlo from Dutchess county and settled on the farm now owned by Darius Rundell. Darius Rundell was educated at Charlottville Seminary, and farming has been his principal business. He has two farms, one of 126 acres and one of 128 acres, and a gravel bank at South Westerlo. He is a Republican and held the office of justice for eight years, was elected supervisor in 1886 and has been elected at each succeeding election since (was president of the board in 1894), having held the office longer than any one man ever did in Albany county. He is president of Greene County Mutual Insurance Company, director of Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of four counties, also director in the Village Fire Insurance Company and a notary public. Mr. Rundell is a member of James M. Austin Lodge No. 557, F. & A. M., and of Chapter No. 283, R. A. M., and has been master of lodge ten years. In 1853 Mr. Rundell married Ann Eliza, daughter of Adam and Eliza (Hunt) St. John, farmers of Westerlo. Mr. and Mrs. Rundell attend the Christian church at South Westerlo.

Russell, George H., was born in Rochester, Windsor county, Vt , August 13, 1848, of New England stock, his ancestors having gone from Northern Massachusetts into New Hampshire and thence into Vermont, in the days when that State was first settled. His parents, Horace and Abigail S. (Worcester) Russell, removed to Albany in 1849, coming by their own conveyance, an uncle. Dr. Andrew W. Ru.ssell, being in practice here for many years and dying in 1871. Dr. Russell's wife was a sister of James T. Lenox and Lionel U. Lenox, the latter colonel of the 10th Regt. in the war of 1861-65, James T. being one of the firm of Ubsdell, Pierson & Co., of New York, who opened the New York store (now W. M. Whitney & Co.) May 7, 1859. In this store on the first day of its opening, George H. Russell commenced work as a cash boy, later as a clerk, continuing until the spring of 1863, when his parents removed to Pittsfield, Mass., where his time was spent at the high school and in the store connected with the woolen mills of L. Pomeroy's Sons. Thence he went as superintendent of the mills run by Sarsfield & Whittlesey and then was for a time in the employ of the American Express Company. In 1867 he returned to Greenbush with his parents, his father being for nearly forty years in the employ of the Boston-Albany Railroad, and at the time of his death in 1889 one of the oldest conductors connected with the road. Returning from Pittsfield and having finished a course at the Albany Business College, he was for a year in the employ of Hinckley & Lewis, shippers and forwarders. He was next employed in the office of the tobacco factory of Benjamin Payn, which he left to go to Weslfield, Mass., returning to Greenbush in November, 1871, where he entered the employ of Charles R. Knowles, then, as now, a large fire insurance manager of several companies for New York State with headquarters at Albany. In 1874, after eight months spent in travel in the Western and Southwestern States, he associated himself with E. J. Knowles, who had been appointed manager for the Stale for the Western Assurance Company of Canada. In 1878 the firm of Knowles & Russell was formed for the transaction of the fire insurance business locally and this connection continued until January 1, 1897, when the firm dissolved and Mr. Russell took over the entire business. He has represented a large number of companies and has built up a very large and profitable business. Mr. Russell is also connected with various business enterprises in Albany and Greenbush. He is a past master of Greenbush Lodge No. 337, F. &A. M., past high priest of Greenbush Chapter No. 274, R. A. M., companion of De Witt Council No. 22, R. & S. M., and a member of Temple Commandery No. 2. K. T. He is a trustee of the Albany County Savings Bank, the Albany Camera Club and the Greenbush Methodist Episcopal church and was trustee for the Fourth ward two terms and president of the village one term, declining a renomination. In 1875 he married Phebe A. Hermance, a descendant of the old Columbia Dutch settlers. They have two children: Mabel A. and Clarence H. Mr. Russell has resided for twenty-two years at No. 14 Third street, Greenbush; he has also a summer cottage at Vischer's Ferry, on the Mohawk.

Russell, George L., son of Charles and Gertrude (Hallenbeck) Russell, was born in Rensselaerville, Albany county, N. Y., in 1846. His maternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812; his paternal grandfather, a New Englander, and a member of a very old family, was captain of a whaling vessel and lost his life at sea while following his vocation. In 1846 Mr. Russell's father moved from Hudson, N. Y., to Rensselaerville where he engaged in the shoe business. Mr. Russell received his education in the parochial school at Rensselaerville, conducted by the Rev. Robert Washburn of the Trinity M. E. church. He finished the course at this institution in 1862, after which he spent two years in Fonda's foundry in Rensselaerville. In 1864 Mr. Russell moved to Albany, N. Y., and for one year was a clerk in the old Congress Hall; from there he went to the Delavan House where he was connected with the livery of D. Rose. In 1868 he married Anna Storey of Albany, by whom he has five children: Maria, George R., Carrie, Anna and Effie. In 1874 Mr. Russell embarked in the livery business at Nos. 53 and 55 Lancaster street, where he remained until 1886, when the building was torn down to make room for the enlargement of the gas meter factory. In 1880 he started another livery stable at No. 362 State street and for six years conducted both places; in 1886 he doubled the capacity of the State street stable so as to concentrate all the business at one stand, now known as the Fort Orange stables. March 1, 1895, Mr. Russell disposed of the livery business and now conducts only a boarding stable. He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church and Ancient City Lodge No. 452 F. & A. M.

Russell, George W., son of David M. and Rachel (Burgett) Russell, was born in Saugerties, Ulster county, N. Y., March 26, 1839. He attended the public schools and graduated from the Saugerties Institute in 1855. After his graduation he obtained a clerkship in a Saugerties store where he remained four years. Mr. Russell then moved to Catskill, N. Y., where for three years he was engaged in the blue stone business and for four years was bookkeeper for Penfield, Day & Co., forwarders. In 1866 Mr. Russell removed to Albany, N. Y., where he secured the position of bookkeeper for Strong Bros. & Co., a wholesale dry goods house. Here he won favor and his strict attention to business was rewarded by his being taken into partnership in 1872. In 1886 Mr. Strong retired and Mr. Russell and Charles A. Lawyer carried on the business until 1893, when Mr. Lawyer retired. Since then Mr. Russell has carried on the business as a jobber of manufacturers' supplies, including the dyeing, coloring and printing of cloths. In addition to this business, Mr. Russell is a trustee of the William N. Strong, William F. Russell and George W. Dewey estates. He was one of the organizers of the Albany Club. In 1870 he married Adelaide Dewey and they have one child, Robert D.

Ruso, Conrad, son of Nicholas F. and Catharine J. (Mosher) Ruso, was born in Albany, N. Y., November 7, 1848. Mr. Ruso is of French origin, his great-great grandfather having come to America from France, in the early part of the seventeenth century and settled in Albany county. Conrad Ruso was educated in the Albany public schools and the Albany Business College, from which he was graduated in 1866. After leaving college, he was employed for a short time as clerk in the wholesale grain house of Glazier & Thacher. Subsequently he went as bookkeeper into the employ of his father, N. F. Ruso, wholesale commission merchant. In 1870 he became a partner in the business and in 1875, after the death of his father, he succeeded to the sole ownership. Mr. Ruso is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 242, R. A. M., Temple Commandery No. 2, K. T., and Cyprus Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and is also a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason. He is president of the Acacia Club. In 1870 he married Eleanor V., daughter of Rev. Charles Gorse, of Newburgh, N. Y., and they have one son, Frank G.

Ryall, John.This honorable gentleman was born in Wales, August 3, 1839. He is the son of James and Margaret (Kerwick) Ryall, natives of the county of Tipperary, Ireland, who went to Wales in early life shortly after their marriage, and returned to Ireland about six months after the birth of the son, John. James was a farmer and spent his early life as a farm foreman. He was one of four sons, George, Michael, John and James. George went to Australia and the others came to America. In 1851 Margaret, the mother of John, left her home in Ireland without the knowledge of her husband and came to America. She communicated her intentions to her husband as she was about to board the ship in Liverpool; after arriving in America she worked, accumulated money, and assisted her husband and family to join her, which they did in 1853. They spent their remaining days in the town of New Scotland where he died in 1857, four years after their arrival in America. His wife died February 23, 1895, at the age of eighty-six. To them were born seven children: John, James, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Thomas, Edward and Margaret. Elizabeth and Mary died in Ireland at the residence of their grandmother, aged respectively nine and eleven. John spent his early life at farm work and attended the common district school winters for a limited number of terms; he being the eldest, it fell upon him to care for his mother and younger brothers and sisters. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in Co. D, 91st N. Y. Vols., and later re-enlisted in the same company and served until the close of the war. He was at the siege of Port Hudson, Five Forks, Petersburg, and Appomattox. His brother James was also a soldier in the army from the beginning until the close of the war, enlisting as a private in the 3d N. Y. Vols., and being promoted to a captain; he died in 1881. Mr. Ryall again engaged in farm work, which he has followed more or less to the present time. He was elected and re-elected four successive terms of four years each as justice of the peace. The years 1893-94 he was justice of sessions; he is a United Stales loan commissioner for the county of Albany. He is a member of the G. A. R., Lew Benedict Post No. 5 of Albany, also a member of the Veteran League of Albany. In 1864 he was married to Miss Mary Stapleton, daughter of John Stapleton of New Scotland, by whom he has had six children: Mina, wife of Garret Bradt, Idella, Mary, Lillie, who died when seventeen, Estella and Gertrude.

Ryan, Thomas A., M. D., son of Andrew and Margaret (O'Shea) Ryan, was born in Hudson, N. Y., in 1864. He attended the public schools of Hudson and in 1881 removed to Albany, N. Y., and took a course at the Albany Commercial College. While attending that college he began the study of medicine with the late Dr. Snow. He next studied with Dr. Vander Veer until 1890, and continued with Dr. MacDonald until 1893, when he was graduated from the Albany Medical College, receiving the degree of M.D. Dr. Ryan was president of the class of '93 and received the Bigelow prize of $30 in gold for the best work on the nose and throat. In September, 1893. Dr. Ryan commenced practice at No. 47 Eagle street, where he is now located. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, Albany Press Club, and is instructor in surgery at the Albany Medical College and attending surgeon to the out-door department of the Albany Hospital; is an ex-member of New York State National Guard, having served six years in Co. D, 10th Battalion, of Albany county.



Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page