US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "N"

This page was last updated 26 Mar 2016

These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

Nangle, Martin E., born in East Waterford, Perry county, Pa., December 31, 1848, is a son of Martin and Isabella Bensha (Sturgess) Nangle. Martin, a native of London, England, settled in Philadelphia about 1830 as a silversmith, and died in East Waterford in 1855, aged sixty-five, leaving these children: Edward J., of Nebraska, who served one year in the Civil war; Joseph R., Julia S. (Mrs Van Schaack) of Albany; Mary Emma (Mrs. Cunningham) of Nebraska; Martin E. of Albany, and one deceased. Joseph R. enlisted in September, 1861, in Co. A, 49th Pa. Vols., and served until October, 1864. He settled in Albany in 1867 as foreman of the car department of what is now the D. & H. C. R. R., and since 1880 has been engaged in the coal business. In 1867 he married Elizabeth B., daughter of J. D. Howell, a major in the war of the Rebellion, of Juniata county, Pa. Mrs. Isabella B. (Sturgess) Nangle, a member of two old Albany families, Sturgess and Bensha, was born in the Captain Schuyler mansion at the head of Schuyler street. Martin E. Nangle enlisted in September, 1864, in Co. 5, 202d Pa. Vols., and after the war engaged in railroading, settling in Albany in 1866. In 1876 he became associated with William E. Griffin, an undertaker of Greenbush, and in 1878 engaged in the same business for himself in Albany as a member of the firm of Tedford & Nangle. Since 1883 he has conducted an undertaking establishment alone. He is a member of Ancient City Lodge, Capital City Chapter, De Witt Clinton Council and Temple Commandery of Masons; Chancellors Lodge No. 58, K. P.; L. O. Morris Post No. 121, G. A. R.; Clinton Lodge No. 7, and New York Encampment No. 1, I. O. O. F., and the Albany County Undertakers' Association. In 1870 he married Elizabeth Van Schaack, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Van Shaack) Reamer, and a grand-daughter of Derick and Elizabeth (Tygart) Van Schaack of Albany.

Neil, George, one of the foremost figures in the business life of Cohoes, was born at St. Thomas, Ont., in 1842. He was early thrown on his own resources and has achieved success by his own efforts. In 1865 he came to Cohoes as an employee in a knitting mill, and in 1870 received an engagement with J. H. Parson & Co., as salesman and bookkeeper, a responsible position which he held for fourteen years. Later he formed a partnership with George McDowell, which existed for five years. In 1891 he went into the Atlantic Knitting Co. as treasurer and manager, and is a man well quahfied for the position, as he possesses full knowledge of every branch of the business. He has traveled extensively and is a well known man in trade.

Nellegar, Edwin, son of Wilham R. and Maria B. (Staats) Nellegar, was born in Albany, N. Y., March 13, 1853. He received his education in the public schools and subsequently served a six months' apprenticeship in the upholstery business with B. W. Wooster. Then after a short time in business for himself, he obtained the position of foreman and head salesman in the furniture department of W. M. Whitney & Co., with whom he remained fifteen years. After leaving Whitney & Co. Mr. Nellegar went into business for himself on Hudson avenue, and in 1891 moved to his present location at No. 29 Washington avenue, corner of Hawk street. He is a member of Fort Orange Council No. 697, Royal Arcanum. In 1871 he married Elida A. French of Albany, and they have three children: Don Albert, William Robinson and Edwin, Jr.

Nellis, William J., M. D., son of Jacob and Julia A. (Wright) Nellis, was born at Schoharie Court House, N. Y., September 3, 1855. He was graduated from Schoharie Academy in 1873 and then engaged in the jewelry business in Schoharie for one year. In 1874 he came to Albany as a partner in the drug firm of J. Nellis & Sons, from which he withdrew in 1876. While there he read medicine with Dr. John M. Bigelow and graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1879; since then he has been in active practice in Albany. He took post-graduate courses in the New York Polyclinic Hospital and College, in laryngology and rhinology and in the New York Post-Graduate School in clinical medicine, pathology and diseases of the nose and throat. He is a member and ex-secretary of the Albany County Medical Society, a member of the New York State Medical Society and chairman of its committee of arrangements. He is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution, through his great-grandfather, Peter Nellis, who served in the 3d Regiment Tryon county militia, from 1779 to the close of the war; a member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M., the Phi Sigma Kappa, the Fort Orange, Albany Camera, and Albany Country Clubs, the Mohican Camera Club, and served for three years as fleet surgeon of the American Canoe Association.

Nesbitt, John H., an old and respected citizen of West Troy, was born in the county of Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1826. When eighteen years old he came to America and henceforward carved his own way in the world. This statement may be accepted also in a literal sense, for Mr. Nesbitt was by trade a carpenter and learned his trade in Troy. He has been a resident of West Troy for about half a century. His son, George R. Nesbitt, follows the same vocation, and has been, like his father, an employee of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company at the carpenter's shop on Green Island. Mr. Nesbitt is a genial and well-preserved gentlemen, who has acquired a competence by his own unaided exertions.

Newton, John Milton, was born in Albany, N. Y., in November, 1838. He is of Puritan and Scotch ancestry, being a descendant of the Newtons and Whitings of Colchester, Conn. Thomas Newton, the first ancestor of John M. in America, came from England previous to 1639 and settled in Fairfield, Conn., and in 1644 was elected deputy for Fairfield. John Newton, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, served in the Revolution; he enlisted July 20, 1776 in Wadsworth Brigade of Connecticut and was discharged January 14, 1777. John Milton Newton is a son of John Milton and Eliza (Carman Mcintosh) Newton. When he was four years of age his parents moved to what is now Newtonville (so named after his father) and here young Newton's education was commenced at the public school, then continued at the Monticello (N. Y.) Academy and finally at the school conducted by the Rev. William Arthur, so well known for ripe scholarship and Scotch integrity and as the father of our model president, Chester Allan Arthur. Subsequently Mr. Newton became a clerk in the employ of Palmer, Newton & Co., and in 1860 he became a member of the firm. The business now owned by Newton & Co., a corporation (often known as the Albany Salamander Works), was founded in 1806 by Paul Cushman, father of the late Paul Cushman, on the ground now known as Nos. 18 and 19 Central avenue, where stoneware was manufactured by him. About 1833 Dillon, Henry & Co. succeeded to the business and afterwards the firm was changed to Dillon, Henry & Porter; later Jacob Henry bought out the interests of his partners and conducted the business individually until 1841, when he formed a copartnership with Adam Van Allen, under the firm name of Henry & Van Allen, which continued until 1848. In August, 1842, the factory was moved to Phoenix Place and soon thereafter was burned; and in 1843 a new factory was built on the corner of Hudson avenue and Hawk street. Fire brick and stove linings were first made by Henry & Van Allen in 1843. In 1848 John Gott and Amos P. Palmer bought the business from Henry & Van Allen and a partnership was formed under the name of Gott & Palmer, which continued until 1850, when Jacob Henry and Adam Van Allen bought out Mr. Gott's interest and the firm name was changed to Henry, Van Allen & Palmer. About 1851 Horace B. Newton was admitted as a partner, when the firm name was changed to Henry, Van Allen, Palmer & Co.; that firm continued until 1854, when Adam Van Allen withdrew his interest and the business was continued under the name of Henry, Palmer & Co. Soon after the last named date Jacob Henry retired from the firm and the business was then continued under the name of Palmer & Newton until about 1855, when Jacob Henry again entered the firm as a silent partner. The factory was then moved to its present location on Rathbone street. About 1853 Charles V. Henry, a son of Jacob Henry, bought his father's interest, became an active partner and the firm name was changed to Palmer, Newton & Co. In January, 1860, John M. Newton bought the interest of Charles V. Henry and the firm was continued under the name of Palmer, Newton & Co. until 1873, when it was dissolved; at the same time Horace B. Newton and John M. Newton formed a copartnership under the firm name of Newton & Co., which continued until 1891, when it was dissolved and the present corporation was then formed under the name of Newton & Co. The officers of the company are Horace B. Newton, chairman; John M. Newton, president and treasurer; William M. Newton, vice-president; and William S. Moseley, secretary. The company is doing a very extensive business and its products are sold in nearly all sections of the United States and Canada. Their wares are also used in foreign countries and the goods manufactured have a reputation for being of superior quality. In 1864, Mr. Newton married Mary Austin Clark of Albany, and they have had four children; two of them, William Mcintosh and Mary Clark, are living.

Nicholls, H. A. Among the business places of Coeymans village the furniture store of Nicholls & Robbins has supplied a long-felt want. Mr. Nicholls was born in Massachusetts and in early life went to Michigan. He returned and after graduating from Stamford (N. Y.) Academy in 1885, taught school until 1891, when he was compelled to retire from that field through ill-health. After spending some time in Coeynians he opened the above-mentioned furniture store, where is carried on a general furniture and undertaking business. S. L. Robbins was born in Greene county, N. Y. His early days were spent on a farm up to the time of his joining in business with Mr. Nicholls. He graduated after a thorough course of instruction from the Champion College of Embalming in the class of '96. Both partners are men of good standing and possess excellent business qualifications.

Niles, Luther H., born in Rensselaerville, N. Y., October 8, 1830, was a son of Samuel Niles, born in Coeymans in 1806, and he a son of one of the earliest settlers of Coeymans (where he lived and died), coming from Connecticut at an early date. The father of Luther Niles came to Rensselaerville in 1828 and bought the farm Luther now owns, and died there in 1891. His wife was Ruth Tompkins of Coeymans, a daughter of Daniel Tompkins, one of the early settlers of Coeymans. Mrs. Niles died in 1893. Luther H. Niles was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He is a farmer and owns a farm of 200 acres. In 1857 he married Minerva Tanner of Rensselaerville and they have three children: Henry T., Libbie and Mary. Mrs. Niles died and he married Mary Wininsof Durham, Greene county, N. Y., and they had three children: Henry, Samuel and Luther, deceased. Mr. Niles is a Democrat in politics and has been assessor nine years. He is a member of Cascade Lodge, No. 42, F. & A. M. To Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Niles were born ten children, of whom eight are now living, Luther being the youngest of the family.

Niles, Nathaniel, son of John H. and Fannie (Mosher) Niles, was born in Bethlehem, Albany county, September 1, 1856, and is a grandson of Nathaniel Niles, who came from Connecticut to Coeymans, Albany county, at an early day and died there in 1876. The latter was prominent in town affairs, serving as supervisor, etc. John H. Niles, a farmer by occupation, died in 1861. Nathaniel Niles attended the public and private schools, was graduated from the Albany Free Academy in 1874 and from Dartmouth College, with the degree of A. B., in 1878, and read law in Albany with Judge Rufus W. Peckham. He was admitted to the bar in 1880 and for a time acted as clerk for Peckham, Rosendale & Hessberg, in whose offices and the offices of their successors, he has successfully practiced his profession ever since. In politics he is a Democrat.

Nodine, Francis, was born at Coeymans in 1820. He is a son of William and Rodat (Joslyn) Nodine, and a grandson of one of the four brothers who were soldiers in the Revolutionary war, and died with the small-pox. He left one son, William, who came to Coeymans when a boy, where he married in 1797 and had six sons: Benjamin, Harvey, Joslyn, William, Hiram and Francis; and three daughters: Elizabeth, Harriet and Rachel. He was a farmer and died in 1861. Francis Nodine married Agnes, daughter of Jonathan Miller, by whom he has had three children: two sons, Hiram J. and J. M., and one daughter. Mr. Nodine is a farmer and still resides on the farm where his father settled in 1849.

North, Charles F., of the firm of North & Doyle, proprietors of the well-known Anchor Hosiery Mills. The family is of English origin. In 1640 two brothers first settled in Connecticut, where Mr. North was born in 1844, at Collinsville, a son of Morris North. He never entered school after seven years of age, the time when he came to Cohoes, but worked in a mill until twenty years of age. He then sold machinery to the mills, in exchange for knit goods, which he again sold. As a demand for paper boxes in which to ship knit goods increased, he began the manufacture of them, conducting an extensive factory. Later he became a partner of the Anchor Hosiery Mills, and with Charles F. Doyle built mill No. 1 in 1881, and in 1887 mill No. 2, and in 1890 mill No. 3. Mr. North also carries on a stone and sewer pipe yard, building a large store house in 1884 and another in 1894. He has also served officially in county affairs, and was the first alderman under city government in 1869. He later officiated as alderman for two years, and in 1874 as city chamberlain for four years. In 1879 he was appointed fire commissioner, which appointment he has since held. He has been a member of the Reform church since 1869.

North, Howard C., has been a railroad man since he was twenty-four years old, and has steadily climbed the ladder of advancement. He entered the service of the New York & Oswego Midland, now the Ontario & Western, as clerk and telegrapher in 1874, and in 1875 came to Green Island as an operator for the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company. In 1880 he was appointed assistant train dispatcher, and in 1883 chief dispatcher. In 1887, after acting as agent in Green Island for about a year, he was appointed assistant superintendent of Saratoga & Champlain division, the important position he now so acceptably fills after a quarter of a century association with the company. He was born at Guilford, N. Y., July 4, 1852. He was the son of Erastus B. North, of old English ancestry.

Norton, David J., son of David and Catharine (Putnam) Norton, was born in the town of Buel, Montgomery county, August 12, 1832. The first Norton who came to America, landed at Martha's Vineyard during the early settlements in the sixteenth century. He subsequently moved into Connecticut, where he became a large land owner. Some of his descendants are now living in the town of Hebron, Conn. The grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a sharpshooter in the Revolutionary war, was taken prisoner by the Indians and later was imprisoned by the British. Toward the latter part of the war he was exchanged. For eight or ten consecutive terms he was a member of the Connecticut Assembly. David J. Norton was educated at the district schools and completed the course at the Cherry Valley Academy, after which he taught school in Schoharie county, N. Y., and in Illinois. He returned East and after practicing law for a few years, was admitted to the bar in February, 1866, while residing at Sharon Springs. Soon after he moved to Albany, N. Y., and practiced law with ex-judge Voorhees. This partnership was dissolved after a time and another formed with William F. Beutler, which continued until Mr. Beutlerwas appointed assistant district attorney of Albany county. Since then Mr. Norton has practiced alone. He has traveled extensively and is a writer of great merit. He is the author of "Enid," an opera given in Albany by the Albany Opera Company. He has also written many very entertaining stories for Frank Leslie's and other papers and magazines, He represented the Sixteenth ward on the board of supervisors for one term and was alderman from the Fourteeuth ward for two terms, and while serving as alderman was chosen one of the members of the Committee of Albany's bi-centennial celebration in 1887. He was also a member of Beverwyck Lodge I. O. O. F. November 10, 1863, he married Almira Voorhees and they have two daughters: May and Margaret B.

Nussbaum, Hon. Myer, is a native of Albany, and received a common school education. He was admitted to the bar in 1877 and immediately formed a copartnership with George H. Stevens, which continued for four years. He was appointed police magistrate by Mayor Swinburne in 1884 and served about a year, and in 1893 was elected member of assembly from the Third assembly district of Albany county. In 1895 he elected State senator to represent Albany county for a term of three years. Mr. Nussbaum is actively identified as trustee, or member, with the several charitable institutions and social clubs of Albany. His present law partner, who was admitted in December, 1895, is Joseph P. Coughlin, who had been for a number of years his managing clerk.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page