US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "L"

This page was last updated 6 Apr 2016

These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

La Rose, Anthime Watson, son of Anthime F. and Kate (Kappes) La Rose, of French descent, was born December 6, 1865, in Albany, where his father settled about 1858, coming from Canada. The latter started with his brother Peter the first steamboat (freight) line between Albany and Troy. Mr. La Rose was educated at the Albany Academy and in 1883 engaged in the manufacturing business with his father. He was graduated from the Institute of Technology at Boston in 1888 and then spent a year each with Ogden & Wright, architects, and Sullivan & Ehlers, contractors, of Albany, receiving with the latter practical experience in iron construction. January 1, 1890, he opened his present architectural office. Among the many structures designed by him are several fine residences and manufacturing plants and the brew house for the Dobler Brewing Company, recognized as one of the best of its kind in the State. October 16, 1883, he enlisted in Co. D, 10th Bat., N. G. N. Y., was promoted first sergeant October 20, second lieutenant July 10, 1884, and first lieutenant May 30, 1888, and resigned January 19, 1892. September 20, 1892, he was appointed assistant inspector-general with rank of major, which position he still holds. He is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M., Temple Chapter No. 5, R. A. M., the Albany Press and Camera Club and the New Manhattan Athletic and United Service Clubs of New York city, and an honorary member of Delta Chapter of the Theta Xi fraternity.

Lamb, James, whose death in 1885 was so sorely felt in the city of Cohoes, was one of its most public spirited and benevolent citizens. He was a native of Scotland, and came to America in early manhood and located in Mechanicville, working in a tailor establishment, which he afterwards purchased. He later engaged in the same business in Troy, and in 1855 came to Cohoes and entered the employ of R. G. Smith. In 1857 he associated with Mr. Leroy, continuing the business for eight years, and was alone until 1872, when the present Globe Knitting Mill was established, under the firm name of Leroy, Lamb & Co. Mr. Lamb was an active politician, as well as a prominent manufacturer, and was serving his sixth term as alderman of the Third ward. In the Common Council he was a man of marked ability and an earnest advocate of all that pertained to the advancement of local affairs. He was a member of the Sons of Scotia, and was past grand in Egberts Lodge, K. of P., and also of the I. O. O. F. He left a wife and three children.

Lameraux, Phila, is the daughter of Solomon Carmon, of Greene county, and the widow of Judson Lameraux, who was for many years a prominent and successful farmer of Indian Fields, where he died in 1887. He was the son of George, and the grandson of James Lameraux, who with three brothers came from Paris, France, to Dutchess county, and James came to Coeymans and built a mill at Coeymans Hollow, and later bought a large tract of land at what is now Indian Fields village, where they have always been prominent farmers.

Lamoreaux, Maus, was born in Coeymans in 1864 and is the son of William J., grandson of Jarvis, and great-grandson of George, whose father, James, came from Paris, France, and settled at Indian Fields. In 1885 Mr. Lamoreau married Emma L., daughter of Henry C. Mosher, and settled on a farm near Wemple, where he is one of the leading farmers of the town.

Langan, John, was the son of William Laugan, who, after leaving his birthplace, first settled in Schenectady. He was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1843. He learned the blacksmith's trade in the locomotive shops there, then entered the Arsenal shops. In 1861 he enlisted in the Ordnance Department as a private, and soon was made a corporal, acting-sergeant and quartermaster, being six years in the service. After the war he came to West Troy and established a grocery, market and liquor store. Since 1880 he has dealt in liquors at wholesale only. Mr. Langan has taken a lively interest in political affairs and held various offices. He was town clerk for two years, overseer of the poor for two years, and deputy sheriff for eighteen years. He was also on the Board of Excise for fifteen years. He has also served on the Democratic County Committee for a number of years.

Langan, John R., is a son of Michael and Kate (Fitzpatrick) Langan, both natives of Albany, and a grandson of John Langan, who came here from Athlone, Ireland, in 1829, settling permanently in 1833, and died in April, 1881. John Langan was a wholesale potato dealer, and married Margaret Tracey, who was born in Ireland in 1810, and who died in 1887. (Mrs. Kate Langan was a daughter of William Fitzpatrick, who was a native of the north of Ireland.) John R. Langan, born in Albany, October 13, 1865, was graduated from the high school in 1884, read law with the late John B. O'Malley, and with Newcomb, Bailey & Nusbaum, took the degree of LL.B. from the Albany Law School in 1885 and was admitted to the bar in 1887. Since the spring of 1888 he has been in the active practice of his profession at Albany, N. Y. November 27, 1895, he married Celia M. Lavella Hayes, daughter of John Hayes, of Syracuse.

Lansing, Egbert W., one of the most prominent men of Cohoes, is a representative of a family who were closely identified with the history of this city from its earliest period. His first American ancestor, Gerrit Lansing, whose death occurred in the vicinity of Albany prior to 1679, and from whom he is sixth in descent, came from Holland. The residence now occupied by Mr. Lansing was built in part by his great-grandfather, Johannes I. Lansing, about 1750. Mr. Lansing was born in 1833, and was educated in Albany and has for the past twenty years been actively engaged in the real estate business. Politically he is a Republican, and was one of the first aldermen of his native city in 1870. His wife was Helena, daughter of Dow F. Lansing of this city, whom he married in 1860. Both are connected with the Reformed church.

Lathrop, Charles H., descends from Rev. John Lothrop, who was graduated from Queens College, Cambridge, England, as B. A. in 1605 and as M. A. in 1609, and who for religious freedom came to America in 1634 and settled in Scituate, Mass., where he was pastor of the church until 1639, when he moved to Barnstable, where he died in 1653. The family is traced back in England to 1216, when the name appears as Lowthrope. Henry B. Lathrop, grandfather of Charles H., married Sarah Preston and when a young man came to Albany, where he engaged in mercantile business and where he died in 1870. He was born in Lisbon, Conn., November 17, 1794. Charles H. Lathrop, Sr., his son, was born in Albany, March 15, 1880, was for many years the agent of the National Express Company and died here December, 1895. He married Lydia A. Presby. Charles H. Lathrop, their son, born May 27, 1862, in Albany, was educated in the public and high schools and was a clerk for Benjamin Lodge, the well known merchant tailor, until 1889, when he formed a partnership with Charles S. Shanks, as Shanks & Lathrop, and became Mr. Lodge's successor. The firm has successfully carried on a large merchant tailoring business. Mr. Lathrop has been secretary and treasurer and is now vice-president of the Albany County Wheelmen. September 23, 1885, he married Mary E., daughter of Hon. Warren S. Kelley of Albany, and their children are Charles H., Jr., and Mary E.

Lathrop, Cyrus Clark, is descended on his father's side from literary workers, and on his mother's from business men. A son of John W. and Margaret O. (Clark) Lathrop, he was born in Bridgeport, Conn., February 21, 1862, and when fifteen entered his father's book store, where he remained two years. For five years he was connected with the linen thread establishment of Barbour Brothers. Returning to Bridgeport he traveled for one year for an iron concern and then went to St. Paul, Minn., in the employ of William F. Davidson. In 1888 he came to Albany and established himself in the laundry business, in which he still continues. He has always had strong religious convictions and from the age of fifteen has been deeply interested in Sunday school work as a teacher. In 1889-90 he became identified with the boy's department of the City Mission and in 1890 took charge of it, devoting every night in the week to the work. After visiting other cities, he organized, on April 30, 1892, the Albany Boys' Club, one of the most successful institutions of the kind in the country, of which he has since been the secretary and superintendent. Among the first to become interested in this organization were Charles R. Knowles, president, Charles Gibson, vice-president, Herbert W. Stickney, treasurer, Cyrus C. Lathrop, secretary and superintendent, Oscar D. Robinson, Robert W. Shannon, Charles H. Turner, Edward J. Wheeler, Albert Hessberg, Dr. A. B. Huested, George H. Thacher, William H. McClure and Percival N. Bouton, The club now has about 450 members, maintains a free reading room and library, an evening school of industrial practical training, a gymnasium and a savings bank, and reaches poor boys of the city. It was incorporated November, 1896. Its success is practically due to Mr. Lathrop's personal efforts and direction. Its present officers are: Robert Shaw Oliver, president; William F.Winship, Charles L. Blakeslee, George C., Baker, James C. Farrell, James Holroyd, W. G. MacDonald, M. D., Edward N. McKinney, Charles T. Buchanan, J. Montgomery Mosher, M. D., directors; Edward J. Wheeler, treasurer, Cyrus C. Lathrop. secretary and superintendent. He was married in 1885, in St. Paul, Minn., to Ida F., daughter of Abram Pulis, of Troy, N. Y., and they have two daughters: Dorothy Pulis Lathrop and Gertrude Kathryn Lathrop.

Laventall, Julius, born in March, 1832, in Bovendon, Hanover, Germany, came to America in August, 1854, settling in Albany and opened a small jewelry store on South Pearl street, in 1857. In June, 1865, having sold this business, he bought of S. M. Valkenburgh the Ladies' Bazaar, on the corner of South Pearl street and Hudson avenue. In 1857 he also purchased the property, and in 1876, built the present building, where he carries an extensive line of ladies and children's furnishings and shoes. He is a member and ex-president of Shiloh Lodge, I. O. of B. B. and of Arnon Lodge, I. O. of F. S. and has represented both in their respective Grand Lodges of the United States. He is a member and past noble grand of Mt. Carmel Lodge, I. O. O. F., member of Washington Lodge, No. 85, F. & A. M., was manager of the Jewish Home and has been a trustee of the Congregation of Temple Beth Emeth since 1873, and was its vice-president for eight years, its president in 1883, and chairman of the building committee during the erection of the present temple, on the corner of Lancaster and Swan streets. He was also one of the organizers and for the first two years a director of the South End Bank. In 1858 he married Miss Sarah Swartz of Albany, who died, leaving two daughters: Mrs. H. W. Foreman of Albany, and Mrs. Daniel Stern of Brooklyn. In 1863 he married second, Hannah, daughter of M. Hydeman of Albany, and they have two sons: Louis Julius, born January 28, 1866, and Edward Simon, born June 13, 1874, both of whom are associated in business with their father.

Lawson, Joseph A., son of Isaac and Elizabeth L. (Steere) Lawson, was born in Albany, December 13, 1859. The family have lived in Albany county for more than one hundred years, the old homestead in Watervliet, now Colonie, having been purchased by his great-grandfather, Peter Lawrence Lawson, from the French refugee, Marquis La Tour; it has always remained in the name and is now owned by a cousin, Joseph C. Lawson. His ancestors fought in the Revolutionary war and were with the detachment that captured Major Andre. Isaac Lawson, for many years a prominent lawyer in Albany, was the Republican nominee for justice of the Supreme Court in 1887. His wife came from an old Rhode Island family of English descent. Joseph A. Lawson was graduated from the Albany Academy in 1878, with the highest honors. He read law in New York with Marsh, Wilson & Wallis and in Albany with I. & J. M. Lawson. and took a course of lectures at the Albany Law School and was graduated from Columbia Law School in New York city in May, 1882, with the degree of LL. B., and in September of the same year was admitted to the bar by the General Term of the Supreme Court. He began practice in New York city, associating himself with the firm of Marsh, Wilson & Wallis. In 1884 he returned to Albany and became a member of the firm of I. & J. M. Lawson until the fall of 1891, when he withdrew and opened his present office. While a student at law Mr. Lawson indulged in some newspaper and magazine work, being connected as editor and proprietor with the Fort Orange Monthly, and later assuming the duties of editor of the Sunday edition of the Albany Morning Express. As a lawyer, he has been successful and is possessed of sound judgment and forensic ability. He is a Democrat and has been active as a stump speaker throughout the State, and from January to October, 1896, served as Mayor Thacher's first clerk. He is a charter member of the Albany Press Club; a member of the Fort Orange Club, the Albany Camera, Burns, Whist and Chess, and Young Men's Democratic Clubs, the Albany Institute and the Albany County Wheelmen; a sustaining member of the Y.M.C.A.; a member and past master of Masters Lodge, No. 5, F. & A. M., and a member of the American Bar Association, and a member and formerly secretary of the New York State Bar Association. He has been a member of the Faculty of the Albany Law School since 1895. Among his most significant achievements have been his successes as a postprandial orator and campaign speaker of originality and force. In June, 1885, he married Harriette C, daughter of William E. and Helen S. Morgan, of Syracuse, and their children are Helen E. and Florence M.

Lawson, Stephen, was born in 1830, and is a son of Levi, and grandson of Lawrence Lawson, who first settled at Bethlehem and later at Rufus Corners, where he died and left two sons, James and Levi. Levi came to Coeymans in 1830 and bought the farm where Stephen now lives. He was a farmer and died in 1860. He had four sons: Henry, William, Isaac, and Stephen, who remained on the homestead, and has two sons: Frederick and Howard.

Lawyer, George, is a descendant of Johannes Lawyer, who came from Holland to Schoharie, N. Y., about 1700 on a surveying expedition, and whose son, Johannes H., was granted 36,000 acres of land in what is now Schoharie county, by King George II. The latter was commissioned by Governor Tryon in 1772 ensign in Shaffer's Company of Foot and by Sir Henry Moore, Bart., ensign of Grenadiers. He served as lieutenant in the 15th N. Y. Regt. through the Revolutionary war, as did also his son Jacob, who was an ensign. Jacob I. Lawyer, son of Jacob, suc- ceeded his ancestors as a large land owner in Schoharie, and married Nancy Spraker, who died in 1884, aged 101. Their son, George, who is living at Schoharie Court House at the age of ninety, owns much of the ancestral grant. Dr. James Lawyer, son of George, practiced medicine in New York city and at Middleburgh, N. Y., and was for six years treasurer of Schoharie county, where he died November 26, 1890. During the Rebellion he was assistant surgeon in Bellevue Hospital. He married, first, Eliza J. Irwin, who died in 1880, leaving an only son, George, of Albany. He married, second, her sister, Mrs. Marion K. Case, who survives. George Lawyer, born in New York city, September 34, 1864, attended Schoharie Academy, was graduated from Hamilton College in 1885, with membership in Phi Beta Kappa, and read law with Judge S. L. Mayham, of Schoharie Court House. He was graduated from the Albany Law School and admitted to the bar in May, 1887, spent two years in the office of Clark Bell in New York city, and in 1890 began the practice of law in Albany as partner of F. E. Wadhams. Since 1893 he has practiced alone. He is a foundation member of Philip Livingston Chapter, Sons of the Revolution, and has been its secretary since 1895. He is one of the first members of the Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States and of Troop A, Cavalry of New York (in which he served two years), and of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M. He was admitted to practice in the United States courts in 1890. In 1892 he married Agnes Estelle, daughter of David B. Pershall, of New York city. Their children are James Pershall and George Irwin.

Le Boeuf, Randall J., is a son of Peter J. Le Boeuf, who was born in France in 1834, came to Canada with his parents when young, and was graduated from the Fort Edward Institute; he engaged first in the manufacture of axes in Cohoes and later became a member of the collar, cuff and shirt firms of Wheeler, Allendorph & Le Boeuf and Wheeler, Le Boeuf & Co., of Troy. His wife was Sarah A. Saunders. Randall J. was born in Cohoes, March 10, 1870, and when nine years old came with the family to Albany, where he finished his education at the grammar and High Schools, graduating in 1887. He read law with Eugene Burlingame until the fall of 1889, when he entered Cornell University in the course of history and political science; at the end of the first year he discontinued these studies and entered the law department, from which he was graduated in 1893, being one of the prize debaters and receiving also a thesis prize. He was made a member of the Uelta Upsilon fraternity and was president of the junior and senior classes of the law school. He was admitted to the bar at Saratoga Springs, September 14, 1892, and was managing clerk for Sackett & Bennett, elevated railroad attorneys, and assistant attorney for Carter, Hughes & Kellogg, both of New York, until February, 1895, when he returned to Albany and formed his present partnership with Eugene Burlingame. In November, 1895, he was appointed corporation counsel for the village of Greenbush. He has been several terms a member of the executive council of the Delta Upsilon fraternity, and is a member of the Cornell University Club and the Albany Republican Unconditionals. June 3, 1896, he married Katharine, daughter of Hiram L. Washburn of Albany.

Le Roy, Isaac, son of Henry S. and Bridget (Purcell) Le Roy, was born March 15, 1850, in West Troy, N. Y. He was educated at St. Bridget's School in West Troy, at the Christian Brothers' Academy in Troy, and at the Troy Business College, graduating from the latter in 1866. He obtained a clerkship in his father's grocery store in West Troy, and upon his father's death, in 1878, succeeded to the business which he has since conducted. Since April 1, 1896, he has conducted a laundry in connection with the grocery. In 1873 he was elected clerk of the town of Watervliet for a term of two years and in 1892 was re-elected for another term. Mr. Le Roy is a charter member of the Gleason Hook and Ladder Company and has been an active fireman for the last twenty-five years. He is a member of Trinity Council, C. B. L., and was one of the prime movers in having the streets of West Troy named and numbered.

Leavy, Mark S., M.D. and surgeon, was born on January 1, 1862, at Fort Edward, N. Y., and is a son of Michael and Ann (Donohue) Leavy. Michael Leavy is a native of Ireland, and emigrated to America about 1840, settling at Fort Edward, N. Y., where he resided for a number of years, later removing his residence to Al- bany. Mark S. attended private school, and early developed a liking for medicine. He took a course in the Medical Department of the University of Wooster, at Cleveland, Ohio, and was graduated therefrom, with honors in 1888. He then returned to the home of his parents, at 317 Madison Avenue, Albany, N. Y., where, in the same year, (1888) he began the active practice of his profession. He has been eminently successful, and justly deserves the high esteem in which he is held, in both professional and social circles. Dr. Leavy is a member of the Catholic Union, and Knights of Columbus, of Albany, and of the Albany County Medical Society.

Lempe, George G., M.D., was born in Lansingburgh, N. Y., December 28, 1864. When six years of age he moved to Germany, and attended the gymnasium and the University at Goettingen, province of Hanover. In 1883 he removed to America and took a one-year's post-graduate course at Harvard University. Subsequently he attended the Albany (N. Y.) Medical College and received the degree of M.D. from that institution in 1888, since which time he has practiced medicine in Albany. Dr. Lempe was assistant demonstrator at the Albany Medical College for two years and instructor in physiology at the same institution for one year. He was also surgeon at the Albany Homoeopathic Hospital from 1889 to 1896; and is one of the examiners of health officers for the New York State Civil Service Commission. Dr. Lempe is a member of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, Co. A, 10th Bat. N. G. N.Y., Albany Press Club, Albany County Medical Society and the Deutscher Club. He is also a charter member and surgeon of the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order.

Lenway, W. A., was born in West Troy, December 11, 1849. The late Alexander Lenway, his father, came to West Troy about 1835. The paternal grandfather of W. A. Lenway came from France. Mr. Lenway was carefully educated at select schools and at the Troy Business College. He has been officially connected with canal administrations since 1880, at which date he was appointed chief clerk to John H. Hulsapple, then a canal collector. Before his association with the canal departments he was associated in a clerical capacity with F. B. Durant and William Hollands in the fire insurance line. He spent five years in the D. & H. freight office as clerk and was for a time mate of a river steamer plying between Troy and New York.

Leonard, Daniel, was born October 3, 1839, and came to Albany in 1854 from Springfield, Mass., in which neighborhood his family resided from the settlement of Springfield in 1636, and where John Leonard, his ancestor, was killed in King Philip's war in 1676. The family was allied to many of the early Connecticut and Massachusetts families, Mr. Leonard being in direct descent from Governor William Bradford of Plymouth. On coming to Albany he took a position in the Mechanics' and Farmers' Bank, in the building then standing next north of the site of the post-office, and was made teller of the bank before reaching his majority. In 1867 he entered the firm of J. G. Cotrell & Co., and in 1878, after the death of J. G. Cotrell, Edgar Cotrell and Daniel Leonard, who were brothers-in-law, formed a partnership and continued the business under the style of Cotrell & Leonard until Mr. Cotrell's death in 1890. The firm now consists of Mr. Leonard and his two sons, Edgar C. and Gardner C. Leonard and the firm name is retained as Cotrell & Leonard. In 1867 the business required only a three story building at 46 State street and was purely local. In 1870 the firm erected a five story building on the same lot, made necessary by the growth of its wholesale business. Still larger quarters being necessary the firm purchased and removed to the present location, 472 and 474 Broadway, in 1884; and from year to year have been compelled to connect upper stories in the buildings on either side of them until now their business occupies space equal to ten stories of their present store. Mr. Leonard is president of the Albany Safe Deposit and Storage Co.; vice president and treasurer of the Mutual Fire Insurance Co.; treasurer of the State Street Presbyterian church; a charter member of Fort Orange Club; a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, and a trustee of the Mechanics' and Farmers' Savings Bank. He is a man of quiet and reserved manner who finds his greatest recreation in his family and home life.

Le Roy, Hon. William B., since his graduation in 1880, at Granville Military Academy, and two years' previous work at the Highland Military Academy, Worcester, Mass., has been a proprietor of the Globe Knitting Mills, conducted by the firm of Le Roy & Lamb, of which his father, Alfred Le Roy, was the senior member. His father was one of the foremost figures in the management of the municipal affairs of the city of Cohoes, a position he had once before occupied. He was born at Mechanicville, and is of French ancestry. He came to this place in 1857 and engaged in the hardware business, establishing the first telegraph office in this city in his store. He was a mason by trade and in later years was a contractor. The many offices in which he served his county as trustee, alderman, mayor and assemblyman in 1877, attest the honor in which he is held. William B. Le Roy is a native of Cohoes, born in 1861. He inherits the sterling qualities of his father, and has filled acceptably many responsible positions among his fellowmen. He was a member of assembly in 1889 and 1890, and afterward police commissioner in 1892-93 and in 1894. He is also prominent in the order of K. of P. and holds high rank in the Masonic fraternity.

Lewi, Theodore J., was born in Albany, N. Y., February 4, 1862. He is a son of Dr. Joseph Lewi, who for the past forty-two years has practiced medicine in Albany, and Bertha Schwarz. He received his preparatory education in the public schools and later attended the Albany High School for three years, after which he held a clerkship in the drug store of L. Sautter, Sr., for ten years, attending in the mean time the Albany College of Pharmacy, from which institution he was graduated in 1883, receiving the prize for the best graduating thesis. In April, 1887, he acquired possession of the property on the corner of Hudson avenue and Eagle street and opened a drug store there where he is now located. He is a member of the Albany Press Club, Adelphi Club, New York State Parmaceutical Association, Capital City Club, Albany Turn Verein and Gideon Lodge, I. O. O. B. He is also the president of the German Foot Powder Co.

Lewi, William G., Ph. G., M.D., son of Dr. Joseph and Berta (Schwarz) Lewi, was born in Albany, N. Y., March 23, 1870. He was educated in the Albany public and high schools, after which he accepted a clerkship in the drug store of his brother, Theodore J. Lewi. He remained in the drug store four years, in the mean time attending the Albany College of Pharmacy, where he finished the course in 1890 and from which he received his diploma in 1891. While a senior at the College of Pharmacy, Dr. Lewi entered the Albany Medical College, from which he received the degree of M. D. in 1892; since then Dr. Lewi has practiced in Albany. The year following his graduation he was appointed instructor in physiology in the Albany Medical College; later he took the chair of instructor in nervous diseases as assistant to Dr. Hun, and he is at present instructor in materia medica, therapeutics and medical technique. He is also first lecturer in pharmacy, a chair instituted in 1890. Dr. Lewi is physician to the dispensary of the Albany Hospital and is a member of the Albany County Medical Society.

Liscomb, Orlando P., son of Darius P. and Anna Gage (Clement) Liscomb, farmers, was born in Hartland, Vt., January 1, 1838, and moved with his parents to Rutland in 1841, where he received his education. His paternal ancestors were early settlers of New England; on his mother's side he descends from Robert Clement, who came in his own ship from Coventry, England, to Haverhill, Mass., about 1640. When twenty-two Mr. Liscorab engaged in mercantile business in Castleton, Vt. In 1863 he enlisted in Co. M, 11th Vt. Vol. Inf. (later the 1st Vt. H. A.), and served until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor (where he was wounded) and North Anna. Returning from the war he again engaged in mercantile business in Castleton, Vt., and since 1868 has been identified with the oil trade. In 1868 he first associated himself in this business with E. W. Murphey, and in 1873 they became partners under the present firm name of Murphey & Liscomb. The firm has a branch house in Springfield, Mass., conducted under the name of Murphey, Liscomb & Haskell, and another in Hudson, N. Y., styled Murphey, Liscomb & Co.; they are exclusively wholesale dealers in oil. Mr. Liscomb is a member of Fort Orange and the Albany Country Clubs and of Lee Lodge, F. & A. M. of Castleton, Vt. In 1873 he married Cornelia Speed of Ithaca, N. Y., who died in 1884, leaving four children: Percival Clement, Margaret Howard, Orlando Parkhurst, Jr., and Christina Morrell.

Littlefield, Edgar, Jr., is a son of Edgar and and grandson of Abijah Littlefield, who came from Connecticut to Rensselaer county and engaged in farming. He had three sons: Alvin, Sanford and Edgar, who settled at West Troy, where he engaged in the ice business and in 1889 came to Bethlehem where he is now engaged in the ice trade and farming, being assisted by his son, Edgar, Jr., who is foreman for Tilly & Littlefield. They have the largest single ice house on the river.

Leversee, Hon. Jacob D., has been a resident of Cohoes only since 1878, but has taken a very front place in business and manufacturing circles. He was born in Brunswick, N. Y., in 1858, and received a common school education at that place, where his father was then a farmer. Mr. Leversee learned the paper box making trade at Lansingburgh, and in 1885 established the present firm of Leversee & Snyder, with W. W. Snyder of Cohoes, of which he is president; he is also president of the Daily News Company of Cohoes. In social and financial circles he is a central figure, and has served as alderman of the Third ward. In 1896 he was elected member of assembly to represent the Fourth assembly district of Albany county. He is a member of Apollo Commandery No. 14 of Troy, also a mernber of B. P. O. Elks Lodge No. 141, and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the Cohoes City Club, the Mystic Club, the Waterford Club, Pafraets Dael Club of Troy, and is treasurer of the Park Club of Lansingburgh. Mr. Leversee was married September 9, 1880, to Katie Fitzgerald of Cohoes.

Livingston & Co. The business of this well known firm was founded in 1857 by Hiram Livingston, who in a small store on Green street built up a large wholesale wine and liquor trade. In 1876 he removed to the present location. No. 76 State street, and upon his death in 1879 was succeeded by his son, William H. (born 1839), who in September, 1895, formed a copartnership with Jacob H. Smith (born 1862), under the firm name of Livingston & Co. The firm carries the finest grade of goods, caters principally to the drug and hotel trade and is one of the heaviest importers through the customs warehouse at Albany. Mr. Livingston was deputy collector of internal revenue under Theodore Townsend, during the Rebellion held a position in the War Department and was a Mason, a trustee of the Albany County Savings Bank and a member of the Albany Club. Mr. Smith, son of Henry Smith, who died in December, 1891, was graduated from the Albany High School in 1881, and from 1884 to 1895 was bookkeeper for W. H. Livingston. He was an organizer and the first secretary of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer.

Lloyd, Will Lyman, great-grandson of Andrew Lloyd, of East Otis, Mass., and grandson of Lyman J. Lloyd, a large manufacturer of harness and trunks in Albany, until his death April 23, 1889, was born in Albany, May 27, 1860; he attended the public schools and Albany Business College. In 1872 he became a page boy in the Legislature and continued as page boy until 1878; In 1879 he was appointed messenger to the Assembly Judiciary committee; in 1880 he was made superintedent of the wrapping department of the Assembly; in 1881 he became a clerk m the New York Custom House, and in 1882 the Assembly correspondent of the Brooklyn Eagle; in 1883 he was the Assembly representative of the United Press Association, and in 1884 the legislative correspondent of the New York Truth. In January, 1885, he became secretary at Albany to Chauncey M. Depew, and later assistant general tax agent of the N. Y. Central Railroad, which position he still holds. He is one of the governors of the Albany Club, a member of the Acacia Club, a life member of Mt. Vernon Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M., a member of Capital City Chapter and De Witt Clinton Council, junior warden of Temple Commandery No. 2, K. T., a life member of all the Scottish Rite bodies and Cyprus Temple, N. M. S. He is a noted statistician, was the originator of the Legislative Red Book and has a valuable collection of lithographs, autographs, etc., largely relating to the State Legislature, with which he has been identified for twenty-five years. February 21, 1884, he married Ida C, daughter of Charles Hauptner of New York city, and they have had five children: Valeria Louise, Gladys Viola, Will Lyman, Jr., Clifford Gregory, and Chauncey Depew. The latter died November 13, 1888, aged one and one-half years.

Lochner, Dr. George Emory, was born in Albany, July 19, 1867, and is a son of Jacob L. Lochner, who for twenty-five years was engaged in the fruit business at the corner of South Pearl and State streets. On the maternal side Dr. Lochner is descended from Revolutionary stock, his mother being Nellie J. Best of Schoharie. When Dr. Lochner was eight years of age his mother died. His early education was received at private schools and in Public School No. 11, and was graduated from the High School in 1885. He then registered with Dr. Albert Vander Veer, under whose care he studied medicine for three years. He had previously attended clinics at the City Hospital. While with Dr. Vander Veer he attended the Albany Medical College, graduating in March, 1888, being honored by selection as historian of the class. At the competitive examination which followed for appointment to the Albany Hospital, Dr. Lochner outstripped all competitors and the result entitled him to the place. During the summer of 1888 he continued his studies in New York city. In September, 1888, he entered the Albany Hospital and served twenty months as ambulance surgeon and house physician and surgeon. His term expired in April, 1890, and upon retirement he received a diploma from the staff, gift of surgical instruments from matron and associates, and a letter of commendation from the Board of Governors. Leaving the hospital, he began the practice of his profession at No. 1 South Hawk street. In 1890 he was appointed by Dr. J. M. Bigelow as an instructor in the Albany Medical College in laryngology and rhinology and the following year by Dr. J. P. Boyd, as instructor in obstetrics and gynaecology and in anatomy by Dr. S. R. Morrow, which place he still holds. In October, 1891, he received the appointment of physician to the Albany Hospital Dispensary for diseases of women and children. As a member of the Albany County Medical Society he was, in October, 1891, chosen as its secretary and served as censor in 1893 and 1894. In 1892 he was appointed physician to the Albany Fire Department. Dr. Lochner is a member of the alumni associations of the Albany High School, of which he is now serving as president, and Medical College, and of the executive committee of the High School; he also belongs to the Press Club, A.K.P., and P.E.K. fraternities; is also a member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M.

Lockwood, Horace R., born in Westerlo, February 28, 1841, is a brother of Leander S. Lockwood, mentioned in this work. In 1865 he married Esther, daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Townsend) Green of Westerlo, and they have three children: Estella, Samuel G. and Mary Helen. Mr. Lockwood has the old Allen farm of 164 acres and eighty acres where he resides. In politics he is a Democrat and held the office of assessor for six years in succession. Mr. Lockwood is a member of J. M. Austin Lodge No. 567, F. & A. M. and the Christian church of South Westerlo.

Lockwood, Leander S., born in the town of Westerlo, November 4, 1833, is the son of Samuel and Margaret (Swope) Lockwood, both natives of Westerlo. The parents of Samuel, Ira and Betsey (Utter) Lockwood, came from Connecticut and were pioneers of South Westerlo. He was a farmer and wheelwright. The maternal grandparents were Frederick and Adria (Whitmarsh) Swope. who lived in Westerlo and removed to Oneida county, where Mrs. Swope died, when he moved to Herkimer, then to Oneida county, where he died. The parents of Frederick, John and Katie (Teeter) Swope, came from Germany when young and settled in Eastern New York. Samuel Lockwood was a farmer of Westerlo, born in 1800 and died May 31, 1875. In politics he was a Whig, then aRepublican, and a member of the Christian church. Mrs. Lockwood was born in 1803 and died in 1897. Leander S. Lockwood was educated at Troy Academy and in 1860 married Hannah, daughter of Benjamin and Avis (Hunt) Green, of Westerlo; they have five children: Margaret, Ella, Alida, Lillian, and Anna, who died aged nine years. Mr. Lockwood commenced his business career as a clerk for S. I. Peabody & Co. of Troy, where he remained four years, then one year for T. Saxton of South Westerlo. He then, in partnership with Robert S. Cryne, bought out Mr. Saxton in 1859. In 1860 his partner died, and he was then five years associated with J. B. Taets in the same business. In 1865 he bought out Mr. Taets and has since conducted the business at the old stand, where he carries a general line of goods found in country stores. He owns the old Lockwood homestead of 106 acres, which he carries on. He is a Republican and a member of J. M. Austin Lodge, No. 557, F. & A. M.

Lodge, Barrington, was born October 13, 1828, in Dublin, Ireland. Thomas Pippiet Lodge, his father, a native of Carlow, Ireland, was of French extraction and at an early age enlisted in the English army, with which he participated with Wellington in the battles of Waterloo, Salamanca and Victoria. After Waterloo he married Adelaide Le Dou, of Gaillefontaine, France, and later went to Newfoundland, where he received the appointment of ordnance storekeeper under the British government and there Barrington obtained his education in private schools. In 1852 Barrington Lodge came to Albany, where he has since resided. He was a clerk in the dry goods jobbing house of Sheldons & Co. in 1852. In 1861 he formed a copartnership with Henry B., son of Alexander Marvin Gregory, and engaged in the knit goods business under the firm name of Lodge, Gregory & Co. In 1882 the firm became Lodge, Wilkins & Co., and in 1887 it was changed to B. Lodge & Co., which still continues, Mr. Lodge's two sons, William S. and Charles Y. D., becoming members in 1893. Mr. Lodge is a great lover of literature, well versed in history, political economy, biography and science, and from the age of fifteen has written much for the press. For poetry and versification he possesses unusual talent and has gained a high reputation in this respect. Such poems as "The Perquisition," "Fate," "Altruistic," "Charity," "It might have been," "Chadidja," "The Boulders of Blue Mountains," "Normandie," "The Blue Bell," "A Reverie," " Mary March," and many others exhibit high poetical instinct and the wide scope of his genius. In 1854 he married Annie, daughter of John B. Scott and niece of William B. Scott of Albany. She died in 1886, leaving the two sons previously mentioned. In 1888 he married Christina, daughter of Alexander Graham of Newfoundland, whom he had not seen in thirty years, her home being at Balarat, Australia, during that time.

Long & Silsby. The carriage manufacturing firm of Long & Silsby was founded in 1847, by James Long and Henry W. Silsby, who successfully carried on an extensive business until 1888, when Mr. Long purchased his partner's interest and became sole owner. Mr. Silsby was a blacksmith and was born at sea about 1815. Mr. Long, a native of Ireland, came to America in 1824 and spent his active life in Albany. He was a practical wagonmaker and after the retirement of his partner, carried on the business alone until February, 1892, when his sons, Le Roy Y. and John S., were admitted. He died in November, following, and since then his two sons have conducted the establishment, which is one of the oldest of the kind in this city. The original firm name has always been retained. This concern is widely known, has continuallv enjoyed an extensive trade of the best class and makes a specialty of the finer work.

Lord, Edmund J., was born in Lancashire, England, in 1820. At an early age he came to America and settled in Albany, where he engaged as a clerk in a grocery store, winning the respect of his employer by constant attention to business and those traits which foretold his later success. After years of hard work, in which pluck, perseverance and rigid economy played active parts, he succeeded in saving sufficient money to start the business with which he has been identified, and in 1841 established a grocery on the northeast corner of Washington avenue and Hawk street, opposite where the capitol now stands. Possessed of unusual business qualifications, it was not surprising that the work which he had begun on a small scale, should, in the course of a comparatively few years, increase to such a degree as to prove highly profitable and remunerative. In 1870 he moved to larger and more commodious quarters at the northwest corner of Washington avenue and Hawk street, where he continued in business until his death, September 22, 1895. The business since then has been conducted by his son, Edmund W. Lord, who inherits much of his father's business ability. In the constant rush and excitement attendant upon a business life, Mr. Lord never forgot the important duties to be performed in his home, and it was there the amiable disposition and kind heart were ever manifest. He was a devoted Presbyterian and while he loved his Creator and served Him as best he could, he did not neglect to practice that charity without which there can be little religious sincerity. He was also a member of the St. George Benevolent Society and several fraternal organizations. As a citizen, Mr. Lord was highly esteemed and respected. A Republican in principle, he stood ever ready to give his undivided and active support to his party when the exigencies of the hour demanded.

Lounsbury, Omar W., born in Rensselaerville, N. Y., August 11, 1843, was a son of William and Mary M. (Reeve) Lounsbury, both natives of Rensselaerville. William Lounsbury was a son of Sylvanus, a native of Connecticut, who came to Rensselaerville previous to 1800 and spent most of his life. He was a farmer and tanner by trade, and in politics a Democrat. He died in 1893 and his wife in 1868. Omar W. Lounsbury was educated in Rensselaerville and followed teaching a while, but is now a farmer and owner of 108 acres. In politics he is a Democrat, and was collector for two years. March 14, 1878, he married Jennette Snyder, and they have one daughter, M. Marilla.

Lowery, Rev., J. F., LL.D., the talented and faithful pastor of St. Agnes church, which is just completed, was its first pastor and builder. He has labored for years for its erection. Rev. Father Lowery has done glorious work, which will be for centuries a remembrance of one who labored zealously and effectually for the salvation of souls and for the up-building of the church of God. He was born in Utica, N.Y., March 2, 1841, and studied in the common schools of his native city, and after an academic course, went to St. Charles College. Maryland, where he made his classical studies, and afterwards completed the higher studies at St. Mary's University, Baltimore, and St. Joseph's Provincial Seminary, Troy, where he was ordained to the priesthood, June 15, 1867. He was appointed to Saratoga, and then to St. Joseph's, Albany. His first pastoral charge was in Oswego, in which city he built the church of St. John the Evangelist, and he afterwards built St. Cecelia's church in Fonda. The University of Niagara conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws in April, 1894.

Lumereaux, George C., is the son of Jarvis, grandson of George and great-grand-son of James, who came from Paris, France, and settled in Coeymans, where the Lumereaux family have since occupied a prominent place, being among the leading farmers of the town. James Lumereaux settled a large farm on Copeland Hill, where his son, W. J. Lumereaux, now lives, and died there in 1870. George C. Lumereaux came to his present home in 1862 and has always been a farmer, though now retired on account of his health. His wife was Emily, a daughter of Harvey Shear, and they have four daughters: Phoebe L., Lottie W., Anna and Ida. Mr. Lumereaux is president of the Coeymans and Watervliet Telephone Company and has always taken a keen interest in all affairs relating to the welfare of the town. He built in 1895 a fine residence in the village of Coeymans, where he contemplates moving to spend his old age.

Lundergan, John, is one of the most respected and oldest residents of the locality. The trite saying, "that he is a self made man," became invested with fresh significance, when applied to Mr. Lundergan. He was born in Ireland, March 16, 1831, and came to America when four years of age. In 1832, after the death of his mother, at Montreal, he came to the vicinity of Albany, and has lived here for sixty-four years. He began life in the most humble way as a farm hand, but was very frugal and had no, bad habits. He was enabled to rent a small tract of land and became his own master in 1845. In 1848 he went to California via Cape Horn, and returned via the isthmus. Here he obtained the nucleus of his present considerable fortune, and soon began to purchase additionals to his original homestead. His most recent acquisition was the extensive fair grounds situated opposite his home, on the Troy road. Mr. Lundergan devoted his time to the business, which has occupied most of his long and useful life, that of extensive market gardening. His youngest son, Frank, is a dry goods merchant, at New York city. His oldest son, Adrian, manages home affairs. Mr. Lundergan is held in the highest esteem wherever he is known.

Lynch, John H., was born in Albany, N. Y., in 1851; he was educated in the public schools, Christian Brothers' Academy, and Albany Academy, from which he graduated in 1870. While a pupil of the academy he was elected president of "The Beck Literary Society" and served in that capacity for one year. After leaving school he was for five years superintendent of the Albany and Greenbush Ferry Co. He resigned this position to accept a responsible desk in the office of the adjutant-general under the administration of General Franklin Townsend; he occupied this position about a year and resigned to engage in the coal business. On his retirement he was highly complimented for his services by the adjutant general in an autograph letter. He engaged in the coal business on Rensselaer street in 1876 and continued at this location until January, 1896, when he removed to a large and convenient yard corner of Madison avenue and Church street, which he at present occupies. He was one of the founders of the Young Men's Catholic Lyceum and the successor of the late William D. Morange to the presidency; he is also a member of the Dongan Club and for three years was its president. Mr. Lynch has always taken a lively interest in educational matters, was elected a member of the Board of Public Instruction in 1878, and re-elected in 1880. He resigned as a member of the board July, 1883, on account of business engagements. He was again appointed to the board by Mayor Manning in 1893 for a term of six years. In politics Mr. Lynch is a Democrat and although he has never taken a very active part, yet he has twice represented his district as a delegate to State conventions. Mr. Lynch is a director of the German Foot Powder Company.

Lynch, Joseph H., was born in 1845, and his father was James Lynch, born in Ireland, and was a central figure in the early history of the town of Watervliet. Mr. Lynch was thirteen years steamboating and during the war was three years on the tug Tempest in government employ, where he rose from a cabin boy to a captain. Since the war he ran steamboats about Philadelphia and elsewhere, until he settled permanently at West Troy. He is a grocery dealer of West Troy and has been located on the corner of Broadway and Seventeenth streets for twenty-one years.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page