US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "J"

This page was last updated 6 Apr 2016

These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

Jacobson, Peter, was born on his grandfather's homestead, September24, 1842. Jacob, the founder of the family in America, came from Holland before the Revolutionary war and settled in the town of Bethlehem, where he engaged in farming. His wife was Maria Yeeder, whom he married in his native place. They reared six children: Volkert, John, Henry and Simon (twins), Maria, and Jane. Henry, the grandfather, was born in Bethlehem in 1773. He was a lifelong farmer and from the time he was eighteen he lived in Guilderland, where he was fairly prosperous. His wife was Eve, daughter of Henry Apple, who came to America from Germany, and their children were Maria, Jacob L., Harriet, Nancy, Eve, Henry, Simon, Margaret and Jane. He died in August, 1853, and his wife, in 1865. Henry, the father, was born in Guilderland (on the homestead) in 1810, where he spent his entire life. He also purchased another farm where Peter Jacobson now resides. His wife was Susan, daughter of Peter Wormer of Guilderland, and their children were Peter W. and Susan M. His wife died in 1846. His second wife was Catherine Beebe, by whom he had one child, William H. Henry Jacobson died in 1885, and his wife in 1891. Peter W. attended the common schools and remained on the farm, working for his father until his death, when the property was divided and he took his present farm upon which he has since lived, doing general farming and devoting much attention to the breeding of Jersey and other high grade cattle. In 1868 he married Harriet, daughter of Philip Ogsbury of Guilderland, and their children are Charles, Anna, Henry, Susan, and Hattie Rolena. Mr. Jacobson has been treasurer of the Reformed church for eleven years, also has acted as deacon and elder, and has been secretary of the Guilderland Cemetery Association for several years. His wife has been treasurer of the Missionary Society for seven years.

Janes, Franklin H., born in Albany, July 19, 1854, is a direct descendant of Guido de Jeanes, a general of the French Confederation, who accompanied Henry II when he left France to assume the English throne, 1154, and who was rewarded by the grant of the manor of Kirtland, Cambridgeshire, England. William Jeanes or Janes, a descendant of Gen. Guido de Jeanes, was born in England, 1610, came to America and arrived at Boston, June, 1637. He was one of the founders of New Haven, the covenant bearing his signature; also of Northampton in 1656; died September 30, 1690. One of his granddaughters was the grandmother of Samuel J. Tilden. William Janes, the father of William G., Charles H., James E. and Franklin H. was born at Janes Corners, 1806; married Mary A. Hawley; was the founder of Janesville, Wis., and a captain of New York militia under Governor Throop. Franklin H. Janes graduated at the Albany Free Academy, 1872. He studied architecture in Boston and Paris, and succeeded to the business of William L. and William M. Woollett in 1881. He was made a member of the American Institute of Architects in 1886. Mr. Janes has designed many notable buildings throughout the United States, and has sent plans to several cities in Europe. His was one of a dozen names mentioned by the Century Magazine as producing the representative types of modern American architecture. In 1881 he married Laura, daughter of David Boyd McHench of Albany, N. Y., and they have one son, David McHench Janes, born October 10, 1882.

Jaquins, John D., son of Joel and Elizabeth (Parke) Jaquins, was born in Troy, N. Y., April 22, 1864. He was educated in the public schools and took a special course under Principal Veeder. For six years he was a clerk in Pierson Lobdell's hat and furnishing goods store in West Troy, which he bought in 1884, and later moved to his present location on the corner of Broadway and Sixteenth street. Mr. Jaquins is a member of the board of directors of the Y. M. C. A., a member of Evening Star Lodge No. 75, F. & A. M., and a member and financial secretary of the Watervliet Club. November 4, 1889, he married Jessie F.. daughter of Charles H. Mors of West Troy, and they have one daughter, Eleanor M.

Jenison, E. Darwin, was born in Albany, November 38, 1859, being the son of William L. Jenison and a descendant of Robert Jenison, who came to America from Colchester, Essex county, England, in 1630, and settled in Watertown, Mass. Mr. Jenison is therefore of the eighth generation of the Jenison family in this country. His education was obtained at the Albany High School in the class of 1878, and in 1883, after a few years of clerkship, he entered the office of the Commerce Insurance Company of Albany as its cashier. On October 13, 1886, he was promoted to the office of assistant secretary of the company and on May 31, 1890, succeeded Richard V. De Witt as its secretary, a position he still holds. In February, 1886, he became associated in the local fire insurance business with Garret A. Van Allen and R. V. De Witt, under the firm name of De Witt & Co., and in 1890, upon the retirement of Mr. De Witt, the business was continued with Mr. Van Allen under the present name of Jenison & Co. In 1885 Mr. Jenison was married to Miss Anna Van Allen, only daughter of Garret A. Van Allen. In politics Mr. Jenison is a Republican, but he has has never held or sought public office.

Jewett, Frederick G., son of Harry and Loraine (Goodsell) Jewett, was born in Owego, Tioga county. New York, in 1846. His ancestors on both sides were from New England, though his father was born in Putnam county, and his grandfather and great-grandfather in Dutchess county, New York, the latter (John) having been a Revolutionary soldier. Frederick was educated in the public .schools and at the Owego Academy. His first employment after leaving school was in the Owego post-office, which position he left to accept one on the United States Military Railroads m 1864. At the close of the war he accepted service with what was then the Atlantic and Great Western Railway, now a part of the Erie system, where he remained in various capacities until 1883, residing the greater portion of the time at Jamestown, N. Y. Having been engaged in railroad work in Ohio in the mean time, he went to Syracuse, N. Y., in 1890 as manager of the Central New York Car Service Association which was organized by the railroads of the State at that time, and in 1893 came to Albany, the offices of the association having been removed here in September of that year. He is a member of various Masonic bodies; the A. A. O. M. S., and of other fraternal organizations. Mr. Jewett married Lucy, a daughter of Doctor David and Louisa (Ransom) Earll of Tioga county. New York, Mrs. Jewett being a descendant of Samuel Ransom, a captain in the Continental Army, who was killed at the massacre of Wyoming, Pa., July 3, 1778.

Jewett, Rev. Freeborn G., Jr., son of Freeborn G. and Ella Kate (Taylor) Jewett, was born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in 1866. He is a great-grandson of Hon. Freeborn G. Jewett, who was the first chief justice of the Court of Appeals of New York State, and who also was elected to Congress; and agrandnephew of the Hon. George Riddell, United States Senator from Delaware, who was the first senator who died before completing his term of office, and who was buried from the Capitol. Homer A. Nelson, another great-uncle of Rev. Mr. Jewett, was secretary of state of New York and at one time a candidate for the nomination for the office of governor. He was also one of the four Democratic congressmen to vote for the abolition of slavery. Mr. Jewett's step-grandfather Marvin, uncle of Gen. Selden E, Marvin, is the only person living who received a commission from President Jackson. He is judge of the Northern District of Florida. Since 1872 Mr. Jewett's father has been confidential clerk in the office of the secretary of state of New York. Rev. Freeborn G. Jewett, Jr., moved to Albany, N. Y. in 1872 with his parents and completed the course of instruction at the Albany Academy. He then entered Williams College and was graduated in 1888 with the degree of B. A. He received the prize for elocution and while at college did considerable literary work, as the editor of the "Gul" during his senior year and as one of the editors of the Williams Literary Monthly. He was also a member of the Chi Psi fraternity. After completing his college course, he was lay reader at Grace Episcopal church in Albany, meanwhile keeping up his studies and teaching elocution in the Albany Academy during the school year 1888-89. The first term of the fall of 1889 he spent at the Episcopal General Theological Seminary in New York and then entered the Berkeley Divinity School at Middletown, Conn., of which Bishop Williams, the presiding bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in America, is dean. He was graduated from the institution on June 3, 1891, and ordained deacon by Bishop Williams. June 10, 1891, he married Minnie Wasson, daughter of ex-Congressman John M. Bailey of Albany. June 31, 1891, he became assistant minister of St. Paul's church in Albany and on December 17, of the same year, he was ordained priest by Bishop Doane. In February, 1892, he was unanimously elected rector of St. Paul's church and during his pastorate many new branches of church work have been established, among which may be mentioned the Brotherhood of St. Andrew and a chapel in the west end of the city. Mr. Jewett is a member of tlie Board of Visitors of the Albany Female Academy.

Johnson, Edwin S., military storekeeper at Watervliet Arsenal since 1856, was born at Hudson, N.Y., in 1826. His father was William G. Johnson, also an arsenal employee for twenty-five years, from 1840 to 1865. The early life of Edwin S. Johnson was one of considerable adventure, although his boyhood was passed on a farm. He was a sailor on the deep sea for several years, chiefly on coasting vessels, plying between New York, Massachusetts and Virginia ports. He first went into the Arsenal at the outbreak of the Mexican war in 1846, and again in 1860, and received his appointment as assistant military storekeeper on the 10th of May, 1865, and has remained in the same place until the present.

Johnson, James C., is of English and Dutch descent and a son of Peter and Abigail (Verplank) Johnson, and was born in Greene, Chenango county, N.Y., August 28, 1830. His grandfather, Isaac I. Johnson, was a farmer m New Scotland. His mother was a daughter of David I. and granddaughter of Isaac Verplank and a cousin of Hon. C. J. Colvin, the father of Verplank Colvin, the present State surveyor. Mr. Johnson was educated in the common schools of New Scotland, Albany county, where the family settled about 1837, and in Albany, whither they moved in 1843. His father died at Schodack Landing in February, 1881. Pursuing his studies at the Albany Academy he finished his education at a private school kept by Mr. Helm. He read law with Crawford & Phelps of Cohoes, and with Cole & Geissenheimer of New York city, and was admitted to the bar in 1853, in the same class with Chester A. Arthur. He practiced law in New York and Cohoes until 1856, when he came to Albany, where he has since resided, being associated at different times with W. C. McHaig and Hon. Galen R. Hitt. In politics he is a Democrat. In October, 1857, he married Lydia A. Palmerton of Ballston, N. Y., who died in 1866, leaving one child, since deceased. He married, second, in January, 1871, Loretta C. Markle, of New Salem, Albany county, and they have two children: James Howard and Mary Loretta.

Jolley, Hugh, who was born in Galway, Scotland, in 1721, came to this country in 1772. He kept the Abbey Hotel during the Revolutionary war. He had three sons: Samuel, James and Hugh, who was born in Scotland in 1770 and came to this country with his father and was a minister. He had three sons: Henry S., Hugh B. and James W. Henry S. was born in 1807; he married Elizabeth Ten Eyck and settled the place known as the Crystal Hill farm in Bethlehem; he died in 1845, leaving three sons: Samuel, Hugh R. and James H. Samuel was born in 1833; he married Caroline V., daughter of Frederick Rosekrans. He still remains on the farm. He has two sons: Orville H. and Harry S., who is on the farm with his father. Orville H. was born in 1862 and resides in New York city; he has one son: Orville Blaine Jolley.

Jones, Andrew B., son of Benjamin G. and Almira E. (Morhouse) Jones, was born in Whallonsburg, Essex county, N. Y., May 19, 1840, and when very young moved with his parents to Clintonville, Clinton county, where he received a district school education. When thirteen he entered a general store as clerk, and when sixteen spent about six months at the Keeseville Academy. In 1858 he became a clerk in a general store in Shushan, Washington county, and later was a clerk forGeorge Bristol & Co., dry goods dealers in Troy, where in 1862 he became bookkeeper and cashier for Moore & Nims, booksellers, with whom he remained eight years. In the spring of 1870 he engaged in the wholesale millinery business in Albany, as a member of the firm of Heller & Jones, but five years later sold out and became a partner in the Hudson Valley Paper Company, wholesale paper dealers. In the year 1862 Mr. Jones enlisted as a member of Co. G, 24th Regt. N. G. N. Y., and was later appointed successively quartermaster-sergeant, commissary of subsistence, and quartermaster of the regiment. He is a vestryman of St. Paul's P. E. church of Albany. In 1871 he married Alice Louise, daughter of Pomeroy Tucker of Pamyra, N. Y.; she died June 10, 1891, leaving four children: Lucy Elizabeth, Alice Frances, Florence Juliette and Sydney Tucker.

Jones, J. M. Sons, builders of street cars, was established in 1839 in its present location. Since that time there have been improvements and alterations which make the works far different than those which were from time to time built to increase the capacity of the concern, or to take the place of the structures destroyed by fire and worn out by the ravages of time. It is about half a century since the first street car line was constructed in this county, and only since then has the Jones works been engaged in making cars: previous to that they made family wagons and stage coaches. The works now employ nearly 300 men in nearly every branch of industry, and the capacity of the plant is nearly 600 cars a year, sixty having been turned out in May last, the calculation being to complete two cars every working day. Jones' cars may be found in nearly every city in the country, and many have been shipped to foreign lands.

Jones, James, is the eldest son of William Jones, born of Welsh parentage in 1816, who came from England to America about 1832 and soon afterward settled in Al- bany, where he died in September, 1889, having long been engaged in the cooperage business. Mr. Jones's mother, Ellen Cahill, of Irish descent, died in 1861, leaving six children. Mr. Jones was born in Albany, July 4, 1839. He received a public school education and while yet a youth became a clerk in the shoe store of George A. Woolverton & Co. In 1873 he acquired a partnership in the firm and in 1883 succeeded to the old firm and has successfully conducted the business alone, carrying on a large wholesale trade at 330 Broadway. July 29, 1875, he married Catherine, daughter of James Dolan of Albany, and their children are James W. and Mary T. M.

Jones, John H., was born in 1854 and first engaged in the lumber business as an employee of a planing mill, but is now an agent for the Rusches Brewing Company of Troy. Mr. Jones is a local leader in politics and has held various offices. He was alderman of the Third ward from 1883 to 1890. His younger brother, Thomas R., who died in 1885, was also a prominent man. John H. was the elder son of Robert Jones, who, before his death, was the leading shoe dealer of West Troy, and had for fifteen years been an honored citizen of that place.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page