US GenWeb

This biography is from HEROES OF ALBANY, by Rufus W. Clark, D. D.

Sergt. Andrew T. Hotaling
of New Baltimore

Andrew T. Hotaling, Sergeant Company A, Seventh New York Heavy Artillery, was born in New Baltimore July 23, 1838. His father's name is Ephraim Hotaling, and his mother's, Amy Gay.

His character as a citizen was marked by no unusual traits. He was beloved by his friends for his domestic virtues. Losing his mother at an early age, the greater part of his life was spent with an uncle at New Baltimore, for whom he felt a strong allection through life. He joined the army from motives of the purest patriotism.

He entered the United States service, as a recruit, in Company A, Seventh New York Heavy Artillery, November 7, 1862, at Albany, N. Y. He at once joined the regiment, which was stationed in the defences of Washington. He was appointed Corporal, December 1, 1862; then Sergeant, May 1, 1863. His regiment left Washington to join the Army of the Potomac May 15, 1864.

He was engaged in the battles of Spottsylvania Court House, Milford Station, North Anna, Coal Harbor, and the battles in front of Petersburg, of June 16th and 22d.

In the last engagement he was wounded in the foot, and amputation became necessary. After lingering a few weeks, the wound proved fatal, and he died the 26th day of July, 1864, at Lincoln Hospital, Washington.

During his sickness, he was brought to see his condition as a sinner, and to feel his need of a Saviour; and putting his trust in Him, died in the full hope of pardon through His blood. Through the kindness of Mr. Wm. McElroy, Secretary of the Christian Commission, who was at Washington at the time, his body was embalmed and forwarded to his friends.

As a soldier, he was faithful in the performance of his duties, and always acted as though he had the best interests of his country at heart. He was very gentlemanly in his deportment, and kind to all with whom he was associated. His fellow soldiers respected and loved him, and greatly mourned his loss.

The following letter he wrote to his uncle a short time before his death:

Washington, July, 1864.
Dear Uncle—I received a letter from you the other day, and was glad to get it. My foot was taken otf on the 13th of July, and I fear it has not done as well as it might. I had a fever ten days, and it has left me very low. I shall never get well. I have put my trust in Christ ever since the day I was wounded. I believe the Saviour has heard my prayers, and that he is able and willing to take me to himself.

They have telegraphed to my sister, Mrs. J. B. Read. I expect her on here to-night or some time to-morrow. I want to see her very much, and hope she will come. Good bye, dear uncle. If it is God's will that I should not see you again on earth, I hope we may meet in Heaven.

Your affectionate nephew,
Andrew T. Hotaling

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page