US GenWeb

This biography is from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

George Story

George Story is the son of Richard J. and Elizabeth (Rix) Story, both natives of England, and was born in Albany, N. Y., December 15, 1854. His father came to Albany about 1835 and early engaged in the grain trade; eventually he established himself in the malting business, and died in 1892 at the age of eighty-six. His mother also died in 1892, aged eighty.

Mr. Story was educated in School No. 14. on what is known as Trinity place, Albany, and commenced to earn his own livelihood at the age of fifteen. Since then his career has been one of almost unceasing activity and constant effort. With indomitable perseverance, combined with good judgment, sound common sense, and excellent business ability, he rose step by step in responsible capacities and eventually achieved a high place as an enterprising and successful citizen. He overcame difficulties with remarkable adroitness, filled important positions with great credit and satisfaction, and won the respect and confidence of all with whom he came in contact. His independent disposition, his great firmness and directness of purpose, his executive ability, and his energy and force of character enabled him to surmount all obstacles and attain distinction in financial and business affairs.

In 1869 he entered the employ of Churchill & Dennison, photographers, and afterward of Frank Chamberlain, commission merchant, in Albany. In 1873 he entered the Merchants' National Bank of Albany, where he remained until 1885, being advanced through the various positions to that of paying teller. He then engaged in the brewing and malting business in his native city as a member of the firm of Granger & Story, from which he withdrew in 1891 to accept the position, in New York, of first assistant national bank examiner, which he held until 1893, when he was made assistant cashier of the National Bank of Deposit of that city. Soon after, this institution succumbed to the financial depression of that year and went into the hands of a receiver, with whom Mr. Story remained until the business was wound up and every depositor paid in full, with interest. He then became chief clerk of the Third National Bank of New York city, but resigned that position July 1, 1894, to accept a responsible post in the State Banking Department at Albany. His ex- perience in banking affairs, and his thorough knowledge of finance, enabled him to meet and discharge every demand upon his services with unusual satisfaction, especially in the examination of savings banks, to which he was assigned. In the fall of 1895 he again went to New York city and established himself in the manufacturing business, at 62 Reade street, as president and treasurer of the firm of Story, Barber & Co., manufacturers of bicycle lamps, in which he has since continued, maintaining his residence, however, in Albany.

Mr. Story, in connection with Dr. M. J. Lewi and Frank Sabold, founded, in about 1893, the Albany Club of New York city, composed of Albanians, and now one of the prominent social organizations of the metropolis. In 1896 he met with a serious affliction in the loss of his eyesight, caused no doubt by his conscientious devotion to work in the banking department and its action upon his naturally nervous temperament, and since then he has been obliged to relinquish active business.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page