US GenWeb

This biography is from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

John H. Farrell

John H. Farrell was born on the banks of the Hudson River, near Albany, September 1, 1839, and was educated at No. 8 public school in Albany and the Christian Brothers' Academy in Troy. When fifteen he entered the employ of Hugh J. Hastings of the Albany Knickerbocker and remained with him nearly two years; he then entered the employ of Luther Tucker, editor of the Country Gentleman and Cultivator, where he remained until January, 1870. In 1863 he accepted an appointment to edit the telegraphic dispatches for the morning and evening papers in Albany and continued to do this until January, 1870, when he resigned and succeeded Daniel Shaw as city editor of the Albany Argus. The Sunday Press was started m May, 1870, by E. H. Gregory, J. H. Mulligan, John T. Maguire, Myron H. Rooker, James MacFarlane and John H. Farrell. In September, 1870, the first three named persons sold their interests in the paper to Mr. Farrell and on June 1, 1871, he retired from the Argus to devote his energies to the Sunday Press, which was in 1877 made a daily. In August following Mr. Farrell purchased the Knickerbocker and consolidated it with the Daily Press. In March, 1891, after twenty-one years' partnership, Mr. Farrell sold his one half interest in the Press and Knickerbocker and Sunday Press to his partners for $50,000 cash, and after a brief rest purchased the Evening Union. During the summer of 1891 he purchased the Albany Sun and Evening Times and combined the three dailies in one called the Times-Union. Mr. Farrell's ability as a newspaper editor has been acquired by an exceedingly active daily experience, covering the entire period of his manhood. He was one of the founders of the United Press and has been its vice-president, and has also been a member of the executive committee of the New York State Associated Press. He was one of the founders of the American Newspaper Publishers' Association and for several years has been a member of its executive committee. He was president of the New York State Editorial Association in 1895-96; is a vice-president of the Home Savings Bank of Albany; a director in the Albany City National Bank and the Commerce Insurance Company; and is a trustee of St. Agnes Cemetery, St. Vincent Male and Female Orphan Asylums of Albany, and the Albany Hospital for Incurables. He was a charter member of the Fort Orange Club, and is deeply interested either as officer or stockholder in several enterprises in the city of Albany.

In June, 1869, Mr. Farrell was married to Miss Mary V. Gibbons, of New York, and they have three sons and four daughters; James C. Farrell, the eldest son, is manager of the Argus; John F., the second son, is a lawyer, while Joseph A. is on the editorial staff of the Times-Union.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page