US GenWeb

This biography is from HEROES OF ALBANY, by Rufus W. Clark, D. D.

Sergt. Alexander Davidson Rice

Sergt. Alexander Davidson Rice, sixth son of Joseph F. and Jane Cumming Rice, was bom in the city of Albany, N. Y., April 10th, 1837 and died June 28th, 1864, at Harewood Hospital, Washington, D. C.

Sergt. Rice enlisted August 6th, 1862, as private in Company C, Seventh Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery, and was promoted to Sergeant, which position he held until his death. He participated in the battles of Po River, Mine Run, North Anna, Polopotomy Creek and Coal Harbor. The battle of Polopotomy was one of the severest thus far, and there the regiment established its high reputation. It crossed the creek under a heavy fire, and drove the enemy from a strongly intrenched position.

On the morning of the memorable third day of June, 1864, at Coal Harbor, the regiment moved before sunrise to attack the enemy, and was the only regiment that penetrated their works. In the engagement, Sergt. Rice was wounded by a shot from one of the enemy's sharpshooters, the ball entering the right breast and coming out near the spine. After receiving the wound, he laid all day upon the field without surgical aid, as he fell between the fire of the enemy and our own. But in the evening his comrades succeeded in bringing him within our lines. There were previous unsuccessful attempts to accomplish this, in one of which Mr. John Bartlett of the same regiment, was wounded in the shoulder, from the eifects of which he died on the 17th of June.

Sergt. Rice was removed to Harewood hospital, and appeared to be doing well. Indeed his wound seemed to improve sufficiently to justify hopes that he might be with his friends in Albany about the first of July. But an unfavorable change occurred on the 26th of June, and he died suddenly at 8 a. m. of the 28th of the same month. He left a wife and two children.

While at the hospital, he evinced a great desire that his fellow sufferers might be made comfortable, and to this end ordered his nurse to expend the money he had remaining, in the purchase of such little articles as they most needed. His kindness endeared him to those who occupied the same ward with him, and when the sad news of his death was whispered around, many a pillow was wet with tears of profound regret, and many a prayer was breathed, that his freed soul might enjoy that perfect peace, that awaits the righteous in Heaven.

In the hospital his Bible was his most cherished companion, and his spiritual attendant there, Rev. William P. Everett, at his own request, officiated at his funeral, which took place at Albany, July 6th, 1864. His remains were placed in the family grounds at Albany Rural Cemetery.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page