US GenWeb

This biography is from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

William M. Nead, M. D.

Dr. William M. Nead is the second son of a family of three sons and two daughters of Gabriel and Mary (Eckerman) Nead, both natives of Pennsylvania, and was born in the town of Lodi, Medina county, Ohio, November 30, 1859. He is of Dutch descent. His father followed at different times the occupations of photographer, stone mason, and meat dealer, and died in Lodi, Ohio, June 30, 1877, leaving a widow who still survives. Dr. Nead was graduated from the Lodi public and high schools, and for about a year taught the district school at Homerville, Ohio. Soon afterward he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. A. E. Elliott, of Lodi, with whom he remained about two years, pursuing his studies nights and teaching school during the day to pay his expenses. In September, 1882, he entered the Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College and was graduated therefrom with the degree of M. D. in March, 1884. During the next two years he was associated in practice with Dr. W. G. Pope, of Keeseville, Essex county, N. Y. In 1886 he removed to Albany, where he has since practiced his profession with marked success, not only discharging every obligation which he had contracted for his education, but acquiring in the brief space of ten years a handsome competency. In the spring of 1895 he built his present residence and office at No. 205 State street.

Dr. Nead is a member of the medical staff of the Albany City Homeopathic Hos- pital; is a member and in 1895 was president of the Albany County Homeopathic Medical Society; and has been a prominent member of the New York State Homeopathic Medical Society since 1891 and of the American Institute of Homeopathy since 1892. He is also a member and past chancellor of Chancellors Lodge No. .58, K. P.; examining surgeon and past commander of Albany Tent No. 362, of the Maccabees; ex-senator of Albany Senate No. 641, Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order; member of Ancient City Lodge No. 453, F. & A. M.; and a member and trustee of Trinity M. E. church.

On July 24, 1890. Dr. Nead was married to Miss Linnie M., daughter of Rufus Prescott, of Keeseville, Essex county, one of the largest furniture manufacturers and builders in Northern New York. They have two children: Marjone Amanda and Prescott Eckerman.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page