US GenWeb

This biography is from HEROES OF ALBANY, by Rufus W. Clark, D. D.

Corporal William H. Moon

William H. Moon, the only son of Richard and Anna Maria Moon, was born at Albany on the 22d June, 1844.

The most marked traits of his character, during boyhood and youth, were docility and obedience to his parents, united with tenacity of purpose.

He was a member of the Sabbath school of the Second Reformed Dutch Church, where, by his correct deportment and amiable qualities, he won the regard both of his teachers and fellow scholars. From an early age nntil the time of his enlistment, he was a regular and punctual attendant at that school; and in the only furlough he enjoyed dnring a connection with the army of over three years, he showed his attachment by repeatedly visiting his old class. He was also constant in his attendance at church, of which his parents were members.

At the age of fourteen years, he united himself with the Albany Division No. 4 of the order of Sons of Temperance. To his obligations as a member of this society he was always faithful, resisting the numerous temptations which assail a young man in the city or a soldier in the army, to indulge in spirituous drinks.

William had, from boyhood, a strong inclination to military pursuits. He was at one time desirous of entering the military school at West Point, and took some steps toward procuring an appointment, but was not successful.

From the first outbreak of the war he was, although then a mere boy, (less than seventeen years of age,) and by no means of robust frame, very anxious to become a soldier. On the return of a brother-in-law, who went from Albany on the first three months' term of the Twenty-fifth Regiment, his ardor was freshly excited. He plied his mother with solicitations to allow him to enlist. He would say: "I am no better than others, who are the only sons of their parents. Ellsworth was an only son," and he urged that it would be no harder for his mother to spare him, than it had been for Ellsworth's parents. While thus earnest in his purpose to serve his country, he yet expressed his intention not to go to the war, unless his father and mother consented. At length, one day as he was persuading his mother, she said to him: "Well go, my son, and God be with you."

This point gained, he immediately went to his father, at his place of business, to get his acquiescence. The latter reminded him of the hardships and dangers which must be endured, and asked him if he could bear it all. He replied that he could, and the long looked for consent was granted.

He enlisted on the 10th of August, 1861, in Company A, Forty-third Regiment, organized by Capt. John Wilson (afterwards Colonel), whose excellent character had great weight in inducing Mr. and Mrs. Moon to put their son under his care.

Tlie officers bore testimony to William's good qualities. But his letters to his friends show his unflinching determination to do his duty as a soldier, in spite of all hardships, privations and dangers.

He was connected, throughout his whole term of service, with the Army of the Potomac, and was a member of the illustrious Sixth Corps. He was in almost every battle of note, in which that army was engaged: Yorktown, Williamsburg, the seven days' battles on the Peninsula, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Second Bull Run, Antietam, etc., etc. It is remarkable that in describing these battles, he never utters a murmur or a fear. On one occasion, at the charge of the rebel forces on Fort Stevens, near Washington, which the Sixth Corps repelled, he was struck by a bullet, which passed through his pocket, carrying away a part of his wallet, but doing him no personal injury. In writing home of this incident, he expresses his gratitude to God for his deliverance.

As before stated, only once during the three years of his soldier life, did he leave the army. This was at the expiration of his first term of service, when he re-enlisted in the same company for three years longer. He was now promoted to the position of Corporal.

His last battle was on the severely fought and gloriously won field of Winchester, September 19, 1864. He was struck in the head by a shell which killed him instantly. His company were at the time, by order of their commanding officer, lying down, and a comrade near him states that he thought that perhaps William had fallen asleep. But it was the sleep of death.

This same friend buried him on the field near the fatal spot, marking his grave. His remains were afterwards removed and brought to Albany, and interred in the Rural Cemetery.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page