US GenWeb

This biography is from HEROES OF ALBANY, by Rufus W. Clark, D. D.

Lieut. John T. B. Goewey

John T. B. Goewey was born January 17th, 1842. He was the youngest of nine children. His father, Jacob Goewey, was from one of the old Dutch families of Albany, and his mother, Maria Baker, was a descendant of the Puritans of Massachusetts.

He was baptized, in childhood, by the Rev. Dr. Wyckoff, in the Middle Dutch Church, his parents being members of that church.

His health was poor until he was ten years of age. He was naturally of a nervous temperament and quick perceptions. As his father's means were limited, he simply received an ordinary education.

When quite young he had a great desire to go to West Point, but as circumstances would not admit of it, he reluctantly gave up the idea.

He went to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1857, with his parents, and entered a book store as clerk. He also joined the Bible Class in the Second Presbyterian Church, the Rev. Mr. Ellis, pastor. When in that city he joined a military company, called the Cleveland Light Guards. He, with his parents, returned to Albany in 1859. When the war broke out, in 1861, he enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Regiment, but not being of age, his father would not consent to his going.

In the riot of July 12th, 1863, he was one of the thirty members of the Twenty-fifth Regiment that left Albany, and were gone five days on guard at Yonkers. He afterwards enlisted in the Tenth Regiment, but could not get his father's consent to let him go. He often said: "Father, they want another man. Do you know who it is? That one is myself." After waiting patiently for a year, he persuaded his father finally to give his consent, and, with several young members of Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, of which he was a member, he enlisted August 30th, 1864, in the Twenty-third Independent Battery, N. Y. Vols., stationed at Newborn, N. C.

He left Albany, September 9th, and arrived at Newbern one week before the yellow fever broke out. The battery having more men than was requisite, they were transferred to the Eighth New York Heavy Artillery, and left Newbern, June 19th, for Hotchkiss' Run, Petersburg.

He received a commission, dated December 27th, 1865, as First Lieutenant of Company I, in the One Hundred and Seventieth Regiment New York Volunteers, Second Division, Second Army Corps. He was in all the battles from the time of leaving Petersburg, until the surrender of Gen. Lee. His health was good while at Berksville, Va., and at Richmond. But often needing proper food and rest, his constitution was severely taxed. Passing through Richmond, he was much oppressed with the heat, and at night a heavy rain storm came on, and he took a severe cold. A fever set in, and in that condition he was obliged to take command of his company, the Captain being dead.

When he arrived at Fredericksburg, he was conveyed from thence in an ambulance, to a field hospital near Alexandria, three days after which he died. He expired May 18th, 1865, aged twenty-three years, four months and one day. His remains were brought home, and on the 25th of May, 1865, were borne to the Albany Rural Cemetery.

We deeply mourn his loss, as he was an affectionate and dutiful son, a kind brother, a true patriot, a brave soldier, and a warm and sincere friend.

The following deserved tribute was paid to his memory:

"At a special meeting of Protection Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, held Friday evening. May 19th, 1865, the following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted:
''Whereas, The great Creator, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, has removed from among us our late friend and companion, Lieut. John T. Goewey, of the One Hundred and Seventieth N. Y. Vols., while nobly engaged in his country's service:
"Resolved, That while we deplore his loss as an active member, an agreeable companion and warm friend, we bow with submission to the decree of an all-wise Providence, who does every thing for the best.
''Resolved, That we tender to his bereaved family our heartfelt sympathy, and join them in mourning the departure of one, who, in all the social relations of life, proved himself an affectionate son and devoted brother.
"Resolved, That the house of this company be draped in mourning for thirty days, in memory of the deceased, and that a copy of these resolutions be presented to his family, and published in the city papers.
"MATTHEW QUINN, President.
"Robert H. Moore, Secretary."

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page