US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "G"

This page was last updated 6 Apr 2016

These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

Gaffers, Will R., was born on the old homestead in 1863. He is the eldest son of a family of five children and one of the executors of the late William M. Gaffers. The latter was born at Albany in 1825, and began life without capital, achieving substantial success by force of character. He came to Watervliet, now Colonie, in 1850 and purchased a farm, the nucleus of the present large estate of nearly 500 acres. It was he who proposed the name of Colonie for the town, having been largely instrumental in its separation from West Troy in 1895. He died May 11, 1896, leaving a widow and five children, all of whom are of age; the widow now resides on the old homestead. W. R. Gaffers is recognized as a rising young man, having the courage of his convictions and is a fluent speaker, having mastered several languages. He is the fifth generation of the paternal ancestry since the first William Gaffers came from Sippling, Brunswick, Germany, over 100 years ago, and fought gallantly under Colonel Bremen at Bennington.

Gallien, Edward J., is the eldest son of the late Henry Gallien, who came to Albany from the Island of Guernsey when a boy and spent the most of his life in the offices of the canal auditor and State comptroller, covering a period of about thirty years, during fourteen years of which he was deputy State comptroller. Henry Gallien's fidelity under all administrations is a part of the financial history of the State of New York. He died in January, 1884. Edward J. Gallien was born in the town of Watervliet, Albany county, June 13, 1858, was educated in the Albany Academy, Public School No. 11 and the High School. For several years he was a messenger in the State comptroller's office. He was five years assistant bookkeeper for the National Commercial Bank and later accountant for the National Savings Bank. In 1883 he went with several of his brothers to the "Bad Lands" of North Dakota and started a cattle ranch, but soon returned to St. Paul, Minn., as book- keeper for the Germania Bank. Returning to Albany, he became bookkeeper for Barnet Bros. & Aufsesser, wool merchants, and later accountant for the Albany City Savings Institution, of which bank he afterwards became secretary and treasurer. In 1893 he established his present business as a dealer in investment securities. He is a trusteeOf the Albany City Savings Institution and has served for a number of years as a member of its finance committee. He is a member of the Unconditional Republican Club. In November, 1880, he married Jean, daughter of the late J. Wesley Osborn of Albany, and they have five children: Edward J., Jr., Winifred Le Page, Leila Osborn (deceased), Ruth Osborn and Marion Ackroyd.

Gallien, Henry, son of Henry and Eliza M. (George) Gallien, was born in Albany, N. Y., December 3, 1861. His father was born on the Isle of Guernsey and when sixteen years of age came to America and located in Albany, where for thirty years he was in the canal department and State comptroller's office, and for the last fifteen years that he was there held the offices of second deputy and deputy, holding the latter office at the time of his death in 1883. Henry Gallien was educated in the Boys' Academy, State Normal School, Public School No. 11 and the Albany High School, after which he was for a time in C. H. Van Benthuysen's paper warehouse. Subsequently he went to the Albany County Bank and the National Commercial Bank, where he remained eight years, and later was teller at the Park Bank of Albany for two years. From the Park Bank he went to the Exchange Bank, where be held the position of teller for three years, and left in 1894, to engage in business with his brother, E. J. Gallien, dealing in investment securities, with whom he remained one year. Then after a few months' experience as an expert accountant he was appointed by Commissioner Lyman, in April, 1896, auditor of the State Excise Department. Mr. Gallien is a member of Ridgefield Athletic Club, of which he is a trustee, and has held the office of secretary for three years. He was for one term financial secretary of the Albany Bicycle Club and organized the Albany County Wheelmen. He held the office of secretary and treasurer of the organization and subsequently held the offices of president and captain. He represented the Albany Bicycle Club and the Albany County 'Wheelmen for several years in the National Assembly, L. A. W., and is a member of the auditing committee of that body. For two years he has been treasurer of the Albany Press Club and is a director and member of the Albany Musical Association. Mr. Gallien is also a Mason, being a member of Masters Lodge No. 5, F. & A. M.

Garfield, Henry Whiting, was born in Albany, N.Y., November 16, 1848. He is a son of Charles Lyman Garfield. His mother was Eleanor Cole, daughter of the late Judge John O. Cole. Mr. Garfield is a descendant of the Puritans. Three brothers, Garfields, came to America with the earliest settlers and their offsjjring fought in the Colonial and Revolutionary wars. The late President Garfield was a member of the same family. Mayor Whiting, the first mayor of Boston, was an ancestor of Mr. Garfield. Mr. Garfield graduated from the Albany Classical Institute and immediately obtained a clerkship in the Albany City Bank. He subsequently went to the Albany Savings Bank, where he is at present accountant. Mr. Garfield is one of the best known amateur oarsmen and for twelve years was president of the National Association of Amateur Oarsmen, and for twenty-two years he has been a member of its executive committee. He is treasurer of St. Margaret's House and the Albany Historical and Art Society; he is also a member and chairman of the house committee of the Albany Club.

Garland, Jerome, has for eight years held the responsible position of manager of the Cohoes Iron Foundry and Machine Company, to which he came in 1871 as superintendent, having held a like position in the Laconia Company Iron Works, Biddeford, Me., where his boyhood was spent and where he learned the machinist's trade. He was born in Medina, N. Y., in 1833, and is a son of Joseph P. Garland, a lock builder and contractor, and when six months old passed through Cohoes on the canal, but was not of sufficient age to have any personal remembrance of the trip. When a boy he had a predilection for the sea, but one voyage as a sailor changed his mind. He spent one year in California during the gold excitement. Mr. Garland is a Republican, and has served as alderman of the Second ward, and was also a member of the Board of Health and of the Excise Board. He is a master Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F.

Garret, Walter, born of humble parents in Somersetshire, England in 1851, came to Watervliet when eighteen years of age, and has since made it his home. He is a gardener and his specialty is vegetables. At first he rented of the Shaker family, but by his prudence and economy was able in 1894 to purchase a farm of thirty-six acres, eligibly located at Loudonville, and will no doubt succeed in his chosen vocation, since he possesses the qualities which command success.

Garside, John, ex-mayor of the city of Cohoes and one of the foremost business men of that city, was born in Halifax, England, in 1838, and came to America when eight years of age. Mr. Garside has for fifteen years been a heavy dealer in Chicago beef, having first associated himself with the Swifts in 1881, and has been a resident of Cohoes since 1854. He was one of the original promoters of the Cohoes City Railroad and is now vice-president of the concern, having been identified with the management from its inception. Mr. Garside's administration as mayor of the city, from 1886 until 1892, was marked by the good sense and practical qualities for which he is somewhat distinguished. In 1857 Mr. Garside married Miss Elizabeth Wagstaff. They have one daughter, Mary, wife of Harry Green, who is associated with Mr. Garside in the meat business, he having charge of the branch office in Schenectady. They have two children, John and Grace.

Gartland, John L., son of James and Elizabeth Gartland, was born in Manchester, England, July 4, 1853, and was graduated from Kneller Hall, a military school of music in Hounslow, in 1872. Meanwhile he was for ten years a member of the 2d Battalion, 15th Regiment of Foot, English army, which he entered in 1863 and in which he served a part of the time as musician, being stationed at Gibralter, Malta, Jersey (Channel Islands), Aldershot and Gosport. In 1878 he came to Portland, Me., where he followed his profession as a band musician. In 1874 he removed to Johnstown, N. Y., and became leader of the Johnstown Band and a dealer in books and stationery. He came to Albany in 1881 as a member of the old Austin Band and in 1884 was elected leader of the 10th Regt. Band, a position he held ten years. In 1894 he organized Gartland's Military Band of twenty five pieces and has since been its leader and conductor. January 1, 1896, he formed apartnership with Joseph Gioscia and organized Gioscia & Gartland's orchestra of twenty-five members. These two bodies are the leaders in military band and orchestral circles in Eastern New York and have filled many noted engagements. Mr. Gartland is also musical director of the First Lutheran church, and a member of Wadsworth Lodge, Temple Chapter, De Witt Clinton Council, Temple Commandery and Cyprus Temple of Masons. In 1879 he married Josephine, daughter of Charles E. Peckham, of Johnstown, N. Y., and they have one daughter, Elizabeth Peckham Gartland.

Garvin, Martin L. R., son of Martin and Mary (Harvey) Garvin, was born in Charlton, Saratoga county, December 26, 1856. His father was of Irish descent and his mother of New England ancestry. Mr. Garvin was educated in the common schools and worked on a farm until he was twenty-one years of age, when he moved to Schenectady, N. Y., and took a course in Professor Bennett's Business Institute, afterward becoming associated with Professor Bennett in conducting the Institute, having charge of the bookkeeping department. In 1881 he removed to Albany, N. Y., where he obtained a position with E. J. Larrabee & Co., bakers, occupying successively the positions of shipping clerk, foreman and salesman, remaining with them nine years. Subsequently he was salesman for Squire, Sherry & Galusha of Troy, N. Y., and later had the State agency for Barlow Brothers, printers and publishers, of Grand Rapids, Mich. In 1894 Mr. Garvin was made assistant manager of the Albany Terminal Warehouse Company and recently he was elected manager. He is an elder and deacon in the Sixth Presbyterian church of Albany and is a member of the board of managers of the Albany City Tract and Missionary Society. March 16, 1881, he married Rebecca Hogan of Troy and they have one son, Elmer B.

Gatchell, James K., son of William and Louise (Tyndall) Gatchell, was born in Huron, Wayne county, N. Y., March 7, 1865. He was educated at the Sodus (N.Y.) Academy and the Auburn High School, after which he taught school for four years at Alton, Hydes, and North Huron, N. Y. In 1890 he entered the State Normal College at Albany, N Y., and was graduated in 1893. He was then appointed principal of the First Ward school, which position he held until August 14, 1895, when he was appointed superintendent of schools of West Troy, which oflfice he now fills. June 23, 1886, Mr. Gatchell married Eva L., daughter of James Barnes of Huron, N. Y.

Gaus, Major Charles H., son of John H. and Agnes (Boehm) Gaus, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, September 1, 1840, and removed with his parents in 1842 to Brooklyn, N. Y., where he attended the public schools and also received private tuition. In 1857 he came to Albany and engaged in the retail drug business, which he has practically followed ever since. He was first associated with his uncle, Louis Sautter, with whom he was a partner from 1868 to 1872, when he purchased the property on the corner of Washington avenue and Lake street, where he built his present block in 1874. His military record begins with the years 1864 and 1865, when he was detailed, with rank of hospital steward, in charge of the medical stores on Hart's Island in New York harbor. ln 1880 he enlisted in Co. K, 10th Regt., N, G. N. Y., and in October, 1884, was appointed inspector of rifle practice, 10th Batt., by Col. W. E. Fitch; was appointed inspector of rifle practice of the Third Brigade October, 1886 by General Parker, and still holds this position, ranking as major, having been reappointed by General Oliver. He won in 1889, '90, '91 and '92 the Wimbledon Cup, an international trophy originally presented by the National Rifle Association of Great Britain to the National Rifle Association of America, to be shot for annually and to be held by the winner one year. This cup was first won by Major Fulton in 1876, and has been held by American riflemen ever since. In 1890 Major Gaus won the military championship of the United States for rifle practice at Creedmoor, L. I. He is a Republican, was supervisor of the Thirteenth ward in 1874-75, a member of the Board of Public Instruction five years, being president of the same one year, and on August 20, 1894, was appointed by Mayor Wilson, street commissioner of Albany. He is a 32° Mason, a member of the Fort Orange Club, a charter member of the Albany Club, a founder and director of the Park Bank, a director of the Albany Exchange Savings Bank, and a director of the Albany Mutual Fire Insurance Company. In 1869 he married a daughter of Leo Kirchner, of Troy, N. Y., and their children are Edward Leo and Edith Agnes.

Gedney, Samuel, was born in Coeymans in 1820, a grandson of Joshua, who with two brothers came from England and were in the Revolutionary war, and after its close one settled in Dutchess county, one in Orange county, and Joshua in Albany county, at what is now called Stanton Hill. He had four sons, Joshua, Peter, Bartholomew and Absalom, who was a brickmaker, and died in North Carolina in 1838, where he had gone to carry out a contract for opening a yard for the manufacture of bricks. Mr. Gedney began life on the boats of the Hudson River, where he was engineer and captain, and later went to Washington, D. C, where he remained for thirty- two years, first as captain and then as general superintendent of the Potomac River Steamboat Company until 1882, when he retired and returned to Coeymans where he has since resided. In 1846 he married Susan, daughter of Anthony Wolfe, and has one son, Edward C., a farmer, and two daughters, Susie (Mrs. T. J. Corrie) and Mary C. (Mrs. W. B. Holmes) of Coeymans.

Geer, Robert, son of James L. and Prudence Almira (Gallup) Geer, was born in Norwich, Conn., March 23, 1837. His mother died in 1847. His father was a cabinetmaker, a builder, and later was engaged in the auction and commission business. About 1873 he retired and now lives in Norwich. Mr. Geer received a public school education; when fifteen he became a clerk in a drug store in Norwich, and three years later its owner. In 1861 he removed the stock to Syracuse. N. Y., and in 1864 sold out. April 20, 1864, he came to Albany as the local representative of the Salt Company of Onondaga, whose business he has managed ever since, becoming proprietor in 1871. In 1879 he also engaged in the flour and feed trade with Chester F. Bouton, as Bouton & Geer, and continued until Mr. Bouton's death in 1886. Three years later he discontinued this business. In 1892 he formed the Robert Geer Salt company, incorporated, and has since carried on the old salt business under that name as vice-president and manager. Mr. Geer has been prominently identified with several enterprises. He has been a trustee of the Home Savings Bank since 1884 and president of the Homestead Savings and Loan Association since its organization in 1888. A Republican in politics, he was supervisor of the Fourteenth ward of Albany from 1880 to 1886, was candidate for member of assembly in 1885, but withdrew because of a split in the party, and was candidate for senator in 1886, but was defeated by Hon. Amasa J. Parker, although he ran ahead of his ticket. He is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 242, R. A. M., De Witt Clinton Council No. 22, R. & S. M., Temple Conimandery No. 2, K. T., Cypress Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and all the Scottish Rite bodies 32°. He is a trustee of the Y. M. C. A., a member and for four years master workman of Capital City Lodge, A. O. U. W., senior vestryman of St. Paul's church, for fifteen years treasurer and trustee of the Albany Hospital for Incurables, and for the past ten years secretary of the Board of Albany Pier Proprietors. In October, 1860, he married Mary Sophia, daughter of William Gere of Syracuse, who died in 1886, leaving two children: Frederick Lewis and Clara Lovisa. In October, 1869, he married, second, Rhoda Kellogg Shedd, daughter of Ephraim Shedd of Jordan, N, Y. She died in December, 1882, leaving one son, Arthur Hamilton. In April, 1884, Mr. Geer married, third, Julia, daughter of Henry Richmond of Albany.

Getman, Edward M., third son of Charles and Chloe (Hutton) Getman, was born in Troy, N. Y., April 5, 1844. He is a lineal descendant from John Frederick Getman, who came from Germany in 1720 and settled in the present town of Ephratah in Fulton county, N. Y., and whose four sons served in the colonial army under Sir William Johnson in 1755. The grandson, George, had four sons, all of whom were soldiers in the Revolution. One of these sons, George, the great-grandfather of Edward M., had six sons, all of whom served in the war of 1812. In the late war were two sons of Charles Getman, who were at the Watervliet Arsenal: another was on special service up the Yazoo river to General Grant. About 1846 Mr. Getman's parents moved to Watervliet, N. Y., then West Troy. His schooldays were limited to a few sessions in the public schools of that time, which were meagre as compared to the public schools of to-day. At seventeen he was appointed to a clerkship in the Watervliet Arsenal, resigning December 31, 1864. He was one of the two persons who laid the trains blowing up buildings in Troy in the great fire of 1862. In 1863 he was sent as special messenger with a large train of cars filled with munitions of war to Louisville, Ky., for General Buell in the memorable Buell and Bagg race into Kentucky for supplies. January, 1865, he moved to Kentucky and aided in the organization of the Louisville City National Bank, where he continued in the banking business until he was appointed by the government as bank examiner. As an expert he was called by the mayor to examine the sinking fund of Louisville and at a subsequent period was requested to examine the water works of said city, a property of $7,000,000 value and owned by the city. In Februuary, 1878, at the request of Secretary B. H. Bristow, Gen. John M. Harlan (now on the Supreme Bench at Wash- ington, D. C.) and Hon. Martin I. Townsend of Troy, he was appointed a national bank examiner for Kentucky; Tennessee and part of West Virginia were added to his charge late in 1878. In 1879 he was ordered to New Orleans during a panic and suspensions there, rendering valuable service. An official trip through Texas and Arkansas followed. He was then made the special examiner at large for the Central West and on critical cases was sent into Missouri, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan, at the same time giving proper attention to his original district. In 1886 he was transferred to New York State and assigned from Buffalo to New York on the southern tier of counties, and after fourteen years of this service he resigned in December, 1892. He has since been engaged in the lumber business in the city of Watervliet, N. Y. Mr. Getman's father was canal collector one term; his brother, Charles, was a member of the last Connecticut Legislature, and Edward M., national bank examiner, which are the only public offices ever held by the family. Mr. Getman has been an unswerving Republican, casting his first vote in Kentucky for Grant. In 1896 he was nominated for the office of mayor of the city of Watervliet, but was defeated by only a very small majority. September 19, 1867, Mr. Getman was married to Emma, second daughter of John Morris of West Troy, and they have two children: Archie R. and Edith M.

Gibbons, Erastus, born in Coeymans, January 11, 1842, is a son of Erastus and Martha (Wheat) Gibbons. Erastus Gibbons, Sr., was a native of Westerlo and she of Albany; the grandparents, John, came from Dutchess county to Westerlo in pioneer days. Erastus, father of Erastus Gibbons, Jr., was a carpenter by trade and resided in Coeymans for some years, but spent his last days in Westerlo on a farm and died in 1873; Mrs. Gibbons died in 1871. Erastus Gibbons, Jr., was educated at the academy at Coeymans and in 1867 married Carrie E., daughter of Abner Garret, of Westerlo, and to Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons have been born eight children; Mattie, wife of William Fish, of the N. Y. C. R. R., Syracuse, N. Y.; Nettie, Estella and Bertie, now living; Adella, died aged six years; Willie, died age ten years; Jessie, died age ten years, and Erastus died aged two years. Mrs. Gibbons died in 1888. From the farm Mr. Gibbons went into general mercantile business in Dormansville in 1866, and with the exception of two years has carried on the business to the present time. He was postmaster under Cleveland, during his last term. In 1863 Mr. Gibbons enlisted in Co. D, N. Y. Vol. Inf. , but was soon honorably discharged on account of sickness. He is a member of Post S. Evan N. , G. A. R., and a Republican.

Gick, William H., son of Robert, was born on the Isle of Man, March 4, 1848, and came to America with his brother, Robert Gick, Jr., in the spring of 1870, settling in Albany. He had learned the trade of carpenter and joiner in his native country, and coming here followed it as a journeyman about one year, when he became a builder. In the fall of 1878 he formed a copartnership with William Sayles (whose sketch appears in this volume), as Gick & Sayles. This firm has since conducted an extensive building and contracting business in Albany and vicinity, and many noted buildings are due to their skill and enterprise. In 1874 he married Mary E. Bulger of Albany and their children are Annetta E., Alice E. and William H., Jr.

Gilbert, Edmond J., was born in Troy in 1847, and has devoted much of his time to the public service of his country. He is a son of A. J. Gilbert and was left motherless at three years of age. When sixteen years of age he enlisted in Company A, 21st New York Cavalry, and endured all the privations of a soldier. He was captured at Ashby's Ford and incarcerated in Libby prison for three and a half months. After one year in Panama, with the Panama Railroad Company, as a machinist, he enlisted in the regular army artillery in the capacity of sergeant major, remaining for three years. He is a member of the G. A. R , and his private business began with the Gilbert Car Company, in 1870, where he superintended the machine shops; he was for three and a half years in Brazil for the same Company as superintendent of construction. Mr. Gilbert has been collector of the village, and is now president of the tenth district.

Gilbert, Hon. Francis Russell, is a descendant of New England and Scotch ancestors and was born September 20, 1830, in the town of Stamford, Delaware county, N. Y. He is a son of Benjamin Gilbert, who was a farmer residing in the town of Stamford. His mother was Mary Falconer, daughter of Archibald Falconer, a Scotchman. His grandfather, Jesse Gilbert, was a native of Connecticut, born about 1757, and when a young man removed to Dutchess county, N. Y., and during the Revolution served his country most gallantly, engaging in those memorable skirmishes and bloody conflicts with the British, Tories and Indians. He survived the war and lived to be nearly eighty years old, dying on the old Stamford homestead about 1837. Francis R. Gilbert attended the common schools and later a public school at Amherst, Mass. He next attended for two years a select school and academy in the village of Stamford, after which he taught for two or three terms, in the intervals working on the farm until he was twenty-four years old. He then entered the office of Sheldon A. Givens, a prominent lawyer of Harpersfierd, who subsequently practiced law in Catskill, N. Y. After leaving the office of Mr. Givens, he attended the Albany Law School from which he was graduated in the spring of 1856, having been admitted to the bar in the previous fall. Soon afterward he was admitted to practice in the United States Courts. In the fall of 1856 he opened a law office in the village of Stamford, and since that time he has enjoyed a remarkable practice, trying many cases, both civil and criminal, and among all the criminal trials he has defended not one of his clients was ever convicted. Judge Gilbert has always taken a lively interest in political affairs. In 1862 and 1863 he was elected as a Democratic member of assembly from Delaware county. He was a delegate to the National Convention which met in Chicago in 1884, and nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency. In May, 1887, he was appointed by Governor Hill one of the judges of the Sixth Judicial District, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Murray. He was appointed in 1891 a member of the State Constitutional Convention to revise the judiciary article of the State constitutron. In April, 1892, he was appointed deputy attorney-general of the State by Attorney-General Rosendale. Since the expiration of his term of office as deputy attorney-general he has practiced law at No. 51 State street, Albany. In June, 1857, Judge Gilbert married Adelaide, daughter of Ralph and Minna Newell of Stamford. His wife died in August, 1860, leaving a son, Frank N. Gilbert, now practicing law at Binghamton, N. Y. In 1868 he married his second wife, Josephine Crocker, of Augusta, Ga. They have two children, Jesse B. and Minnie E. Judge and Mrs. Gilbert are active members of the Presbyteran church.

Gilbert, Henry S., is one of the leading citizens of Guilderland. He was born in the town of New Scotland, March 5, 1846. His father was Williams Gilbert, born in the town of Bethlehem, April 18, 1823. His paternal grandfather was also Williams, who married first Ora Hart, who bore him eleven children: Glazier, Noah, Elkanah, Maria, Laura, Ann, Bradley, Alvin and Calvin (twins) and Prudence: his second wife was Charity Barber, by whom he had four children: Eliza, Rachel Ann, Joseph and Elisha. Willams, father of Henry S., married Hannah Houghton (born in New- Scotland, April 4, 1831) in December, 1843; she was one of a family of ten children born to David (born January 24, 1878) and Anna (Bryant) Houghton (born February 2, 1777), and granddaughter of John and Dorcas (Lawrence) Bryant; her brothers and sisters were Polly, Lucy, John, Silas, Eli, Catharine, Smith, Sally and Jane Ann; she was the last survivor of her family. Williams followed farming all his life, living some years in New Scotland and in 1856 removing to Guilderland where he bought a farm and resided until 1865, when he sold his farm and removed to Glenville, Schenectady county; there he bought a farm on which he resided until his death, which occurred in September, 1873. The only child of Williams and Hannan (Houghton) Gilbert was Henry S., the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Gilbert survived her husband many years, cared for by her son till the time of her death, January 14, 1895. Henry S. Gilbert attended the district school and remained with his father until the latter's death, when he sold the farm and bought his present one of 100 acres near Fuller's Station, to which he moved in 1874. He has been successfully engaged in dairying, keeping a fine lot of choice cows; he also takes much pride in keeping fine horses. In 1890-91 he engaged in mercantile business at Fuller's Station, where he owned a store, and where he was also postmaster under Harrison's administration, but not liking the business he sold out and returned to his farm, on which he has since resided. He deals in agricultural implements, handling the Johnson harvesting machines; he is a director and stockholder in the Altamont Driving Park and Fair Associations, and was chairman of the committees on fruit and vegetables, and on stock and poultry, also horses. In January, 1867, he married Helen C. Weaver, a native of Glenville, Schenectady county, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah (Clossen) Weaver. They have two children, William W., born January 14, 1868, and Burton H., born April 29, 1876. William W. married Hattie, daughter of Leroy Main, and has one child, Ethel; he remained on the farm with his father until April, 1896, when he removed to Voorheesville where he now resides. Burton A. is at home with his parents.

Gise, Peter, was born in Rensselaer county in 1858, and is the son of Peter Gise (deceased) who came to Bethlehem in 1859 and settled on the farm where Peter Gise now lives, where he is a successful farmer and dairyman, running a large milk route in Albany. He married Anna Dorothy, daughter of George Smith, a gardener of Kenwood, and they have one son and two daughters: Peter, Jr., Carolyn and Lulu.

Glass, Edwin G., was born in the village of West Troy, Albany county, in 1861. He received his early education at the Nassau and Mechanicville Academies, and also completed a commercial course at the Troy Business College, after which he became a partner in the extensive drug and paint establishment of his father, whom he succeeded at the time of his death, which occurred in 1884. Mr. Glass still continues the business, and by careful and judicial management he now enjoys the distinction of being one of the foremost business men in that part of Albany county. At the spring election in the town of Watervliet in 1896 he was solicited by his party to take his initial step in politics, by accepting the Republican nomination for supervisor, and was elected in a Democratic town by an overwhelming majority over his opponent, Hon. Terrence Cummings. In 1884 he married Miss Sadie Benedict, the accomplished daughter of an old and respected citizen.

Gleason, James M., was born in Troy, N. Y., August 25, 1860, and removed to West Troy and Watervliet in 1865, where he has since resided. He was educated in the public schools, Troy Christian Brothers' Academy and Troy Business College. At an early age he became an active member of the West Troy Old Volunteer Fire Department and served as foreman of the J. C. Dayton Hose Company, and as assistant chief of the department until its disbandment in 1883, and is an exempt fireman. Before and since attaining his majority he has taken an active part in politics as an enthusiastic Democrat and is prominent in his party organization in city and county. At the Watervliet town election in 1885 he was nominated and elected to the responsible office of collector of taxes and was re-elected in April, 1886. On January 1, 1887, he was appointed deputy court clerk by Hon. Robert H. Moore, county clerk, and served for three years to January 1, 1890, when he was promoted and appointed by Hon. A. C. Requa, county clerk elect, to the position of deputy county clerk, which he held until the expiration of Mr. Requa's term of office December 31, 1892. On December 4, 1893, he was appointed by Hon. Frank Campbell, State comptroller, a commissioner to make an examination of the papers, books, records and documents in the office of the surrogate of Kings county, N. Y., relating to the enforcement of the inheritance tax laws of the State of New York, and at the expiration of his commission he retired to private life and engaged in business in Albany, N. Y., where he is still located. Mr. Gleason was married February 16, 1886, and resides with his wife, two sons and three daughters, on Sixth avenue, in Watervliet, N. Y.

Gleason, John H., was born in the city of Troy, February 25, 1857, and was educated at the Academy of the Christian Brothers, supplemented by a course at Troy Business College. When about nineteen he began the study of law with A. D. Lyon, of Troy, afterward entering the office of Judge Landon in that city. After three years' association with Hon. Galen R. Hitt, he was admitted to the bar early in 1880, and opened an office at West Troy, where his manifest abilities received early recognition by an appointment to the position of corporation attorney of West Troy, which he filled for three years with much credit. Joining the ranks of the Albanian legal fraternity in January, 1892, he continues the active practice of his profession in the capita! city and is now the city attorney of the new City of Watervliet, where he resides.

Godfrey, James H., was born on the site of his beautiful home, in 1841. He spent his whole life with his father, the late George A. Godfrey, one of the first settlers. Mr. Godfrey is a farmer and a dairyman, and his home is located so as to command extended views of the lovely landscape, of which the Mohawk Valley is widely famed.

Goewey, Dr. W. Irving, son of William J. and Eudora (Lewis) Goewey, was born in Defreestville, Rensselaer county, November 10, 1859, and when fifteen years of age moved with his parents to his mother's farm at East Schodack, N. Y. He attended Hartwick Seminary and the academical department of Beloit College in Wisconsin, and was graduated with honor from Fort Edward Collegiate Institute in this State in 1888. He taught school at Poestenkill, N. Y., for two terms; two years and a half at East Schodack, N. Y., and was principal of the Hartford public school in Washington county for one year, showing exceptional ability as a teacher in all positions. He read medicine with Dr. Arlington Boyce of East Schodack, N. Y., and was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1892, and in March, 1893, began the practice of his profession in Albany at 225 Hamilton street, where he now resides. He is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, the Albany Medical College Alumni Association and the First M. E. church of Albany. February 8, 1893, he married Mrs. Jennie E. Earing, daughter of Mason I. Crocker of Albany, and they have one son: W. Irving, 2d.

Goold, James, was born in Granby, Hartford county, Conn., in the year 1789. When he was four years of age his parents removed to Stephentown, Rensselaer county, where he remained until he was ten or twelve years of age. In the winter of 1804 he went to Troy, N. Y., as an apprentice in the bookbinding establishment of Obadiah L. Penniman & Co. He left Troy shortly after and removed to Pittsfield, Mass., where he entered the carriage factory of William Clark and commenced to learn the trade that was to be his life work. After eighteen months' service, Mr. Clark failed and Mr. Goold engaged himself to Jason Clapp and completed his trade. In August, 1809, he went to Coxsackie, N. Y., where he worked for John R. Vandenburgh. The following winter he attended school at Lebanon, N. Y., and in May, 1810, after visiting New York, Newark and other places, in search of employment, he reached New Haven and worked with various firms until the following December. After a brief visit to his home in Stephentown, he worked for L. Thrall in Troy. April 15. 1813, he moved to Albany, N. Y., and commenced business on the corner of Maiden Lane and Dean street, on ground now occupied by Stanwix Hall. The building was leased from the late Peter Gansevoort; two years afterward, owing to increased business, Mr. Goold leased premises on Division street, below Broadway, then known as South Market street. In 1833 he moved part of his business to new buildings on Union street and in 1836, after having erected a sufficient number of buildings, he moved the entire plant thither. May 25, 1838, the works on Union street were totally destroyed by fire, and such was the feeling of sympathy that a meeting of citizens was called, at which meeting a committee was appointed which tendered to Mr. Goold a loan of a large amount, without in- terest, to enable him to re-establish his business; needless to say, all this money was duly paid back, in the required time. Since the rebuilding at that time the business has been continued uninterruptedly, with the exception that after Mr. Goold's death, the plant was moved from Union street to lower Broadway, where it is now located and doing business under the name of the James Goold Company, William D. Goold being president. In 1814 Mr. James Goold was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel Vail. They lived together to celebrate not only their golden wedding, but the sixtieth anniversary as well. Such was the feeling existing between Mr. Goold and his employees, that when he celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of the business, they presented him with a silver service. He was one of the oldest members of the Young Men's Association and served one term in the Common Council as alderman, having been elected by the Whigs. He was a prominent member of the Second Presbyterian church. He died October 1, 1879, in his ninetieth year, having won the respect and esteem of all who met him, and many were the hearts saddened by his demise.

Goldring, Samuel, son of William, was born December 29, 1864, in West Dean, Sussex, England, and came to America in 1886. He was for two years foreman of the gardening department for W. C. Wilson, on Long Island, and in 1888 he came to Albany and first engaged in the flower business on Western avenue, and six months later formed a partnership with H. G. Eyres as Eyres & Co. They carried on a large floral business until February, 1895, when Mr. Goldring withdrew and formed a co-partnership with his brother, Frederick, under the style ol Goldring Brothers. They have a retail store at No. 30 North Pearl street, and also run the old Font Grove green-houses at Slingerlands, where they have over 77,000 square feet covered with glass; they do both a wholesale and retail business. Frederick Goldring came to America in 1878 and settled in Albany, where he was for eleven years orchid grower for Erastus Corning. Both brothers are members of the Society of American florists and of the Royal Arcanum. Samuel Goldring is district deputy grand regent of the Royal Arcanum and a member of Wadsvvorth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M., Temple Chapter, R. A. M., De Witt Clinton Council, R. & S. M., Temple Commandery, K. T., the Elks and the Albany Press Club. In 1888 he married Miss Etta, daughter of William Potkora, one of the oldest florists in Albany, and their children are Edith Frederica and Jessica Louisa.

Goodwin Albert C. is descended from Ozias Goodwin, who came with his brother, Elder William, in the ship Lion, from Braintree, England, arriving at Boston, September, 1632, with his wife, Mary Woodward. He settled in Cambridge, Mass., and later in Hartford, Conn. The line is (1) Ozias; (2) William; (3) Deacon Nathaniel; (4) Isaac; (5) Uriah1 of Ashfield, Mass., member of the committee of safety 1778, of the committee to raise troops, 1780, and array supplies, 1781, and selectmen and assessor, 1781; (6) Eldad Francis, 1761-1827, born in Hartford, Conn., and was the millwright in the town of his birth for many years, moved to Watervliet, Albany county, and kept hotel, and after the death of his first wife, Lucy Scott, came to Albany; (7) Albert, born in Ashfield, Mass., September 3, 1803, died February 10, 1869, in Albany, where he was alderman, city assessor and mason and builder; (8) Thomas Laing; and (9) Albert C. Albert (7) married, October 13, 1828, Jane Laing, who died May 31, 1835. Of their seven children, Thomas Laing Goodwin, born in Albany, January 24, 1835, married May 23, 1860, Pamelia Batchelder Clark, born August 7, 1841, daughter of Daniel Parsons and Catharine (Russ) Clark. He died in November, 1888; he had three children; Albert C., born February 14, 1861, and two who died young. Educated in the Boys' Academy and learning the lithographic trade with Harry Pease, he formed in 1860 a copartnership with George W. Lewis, which was succeeded by Murray & Goodwin; about 1872 he became sole owner and in 1882 admitted his son, Albert C. under the firm name of Thomas L. Goodwin & Son. Thomas L. was an active, prominent Democrat, foreman of the Volunteer Tivoli Hose Company, member of the Old Guard of the Burgesses Corps and the Fourth Presbyterian church, and a trustee of the Home Savings Bank. In 1886 Mr. Goodwin retired and since then Albert C. has conducted the general lithographic and engraving establishment alone, largely increasing the business, which is the only one of the kind between New York and Buffalo. Albert C. was educated in the Boys' Academy, has passed through the chairs and is the present master of Ancient City Lodge No. 452, F. & A. M., a member of Temple Chapter, No. 5, R. A. M.,and Temple Coramandery, No. 2, K. T. He was secretary and superintendent of the old Menand Mission from 1880 to 1885, and with Rev. Charles Wood organized the Viaduct Mission in 1886, of which he was superintendent several years. He was a trustee of the Fourth Presbyterian church for eight years, until his removal to Menand's in 1895, and has been secretary, treasurer, trustee and president of the Albany County Sunday School Teachers' Association, and director of the South End Bank. In 1839 he married Sarah Alice Higgs, of Brooklyn, daughter of George Henry, and the late Frances (Fisher) Higgs, and their children are Alice Lloyd and Albert C, Jr.

1 Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of Secretary. Revolutionary War Service. Uriah Goodwin;

Uriah Goodwin appears with rank of Sergeant on Muster Roll of Capt. Benjamin Phillips' Co., Lt.-Col. Timothy Robinson's Regt. Enlisted Dec. 23, 1776, discharged April 1, 1777; length of service 3 mos: 10 days. Reported— Hampshire Co. Regt. Dated, In garrison at Ticonderoga, Feb. 24, 1777. Reported— Lame in barracks.--- Vol. 47, 180, and Vol. 22, 79.

Appears in a Descriptive List of men raised to reinforce the Continental Army, for the term of six months, agreeable to resolve of June 5, 1780; age 42 years; stature, 5 feet 4 in.; complexion light; residence, Ashfield; time of arrival at Springfield, July 21, 1780. 23d Division. Marched to Camp July 21, 1780, under command of Capt. Isaac Pope.— Vol. 35, p. 205.

Uriah Goodwin appears on a Pay Roll for six months men raised to the town of Ashfield for service in the Continental Army during 1780. When marched, July 21, 1780; when discharged, Dec. 5, 1780; length of service, 4 mos. 23 days.— Vol. 4, p. 21.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Office of Secretary, Boston, May 1, 1895.
I certify the foregoing to be true abstracts from the Record Index to the Revolutionary Archives deposited in this office.

Witness the Seal of the Commonwealth,

Wm. M. Olin, Secretary.

Goold, Charles B., son of John S. and Abbie (Bridgman) Goold, was born in the town of Macedon, Wayne connty, N. Y., in 1857. When he was about seven years of age his parents moved to Albany, N. Y., and ever since that time Mr. Goold has been an active Albanian. His early education was received at Miss Crane's school on Hamilton street and at Levi Cass's Classical Institute; subsequently he attended the Albany Academy and was graduated from that in 1874. During the school year of 1874 and 1875 he taught at the academy and in the fall of 1875 he entered Amherst College, where he took the Porter Prize for the best entrance examination; the Hutchins Greek Prize for the highest attainment in Greek, and he was one of the contestants for the Hardy Prize for extemporaneous debate. Mr. Goold graduated from Amherst in 1879, and at the commencement exercises represented the Greek department, having been selected for this honor by the head of the Greek department. While at college he was elected a member of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and subsequently a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society. After graduation he returned to the Albany Academy and taught Greek and Latin until 1881, when he went to Germany and studied at Heidelberg and Berlin; after the winter term at Berlin he went south into Italy and Greece, studying the language, habits and customs of the people. He returned to Albany in 1882 and resumed his position as professor of Greek and German in the Albany Academy. The summer of 1887 Mr. Goold spent in Paris, and upon his return in the fall, he assumed charge of the French department at the Albany Academy. He has edited for Ginn & Co. of Boston, a collection of German stories for use in teaching the language. He is now professor of Greek and modern languages at the Albany Academy. In 1883 he received the degree of A. M. from Amherst. He is a charter member of the Albany Chess Club. In 1883 he married Louisa W. Hunt of St. Paul, Minn., and they have three children, Edgar Hunt, John Chester and Katharine Hunt.

Gove, Ralph A., son of Aurelius Gove, the oldest resident of Loudonville, and one of the oldest residents of the old town of Watervliet, was born at Loudonville, July 37, 1849. His boyhood days were spent on his father's farm; he attended district school No. 11 from six years of age until old enough to work. He worked on the farm in the summer and attended school in the winter until 1867, when he attended the Literary and Scientific Institution of New London, N. H. In 1868 he entered the grocery store of James Seamans of Brookline, Mass., as clerk and worked for $100 a year. In 1869 he attended Fulsom's Business College of Albany. In 1871 he opened a grocery store at Loudonville. In 1873 he was appointed postmaster and has held the office until the present date. In 1882 he was elected commissioner of highways for the town of Watervliet; for three years he was elected supervisor, and again in 1889, but prevented from holding office by a fraudulent vote. In 1876 he married Miss Matilda Van Vranken of Watervliet, by whom he has had two children: Florence M., born in 1877, and Ralph, born in 1888. Aurelius Gove, the oldest resident of Loudonville, was born of Quaker parents at Montpelier, Vt., March 28, 1820. His parents moved to Watervliet in 1823 and three years later to Albany, where his father engaged in the stoneware business. In 1832 they moved to Duane, Franklin county; returning in 1832 they moved to Watervliet, of which town Mr. Gove is still a resident. He was educated in the public schools in Albany and was married in 1843 to Hannah S. Everett, and has lived on the farm for fifty-two years which he purchased shortly after his marriage. Mr. Gove has taken an active part in the affairs of the town and has been for several years president of the Colonie Farmers' League, an organization which was largely instrumental in the division of the town of Watervliet, and which has done much for the good government of the new town. Mr. Gove is also well known among boatmen on the Hudson, having been for many years engaged in buying produce for the New York markets, also in bringing glucose meal from Long Island to Albany and Troy.

Grady, Thomas G., is one of the leading merchants of West Troy. In 1881 he first began the merchant tailor business here, where he has since carried on a large enterprise. In 1886 he opened a new store, which has advanced his interest in a most satisfactory manner. He was born in Cincinnati, O., in 1859, and is a son of John A. Grady, a hotel keeper, now of Toronto. At the age of sixteen he learned the tailor's trade at Xenia, O. Mr. Grady is collector of the Society of Royal Arcanum and enjoys wide popularity among his fellowmen.

Graham, Edward J., son of John and Margaret (Kirwin) Graham, was born in Albany, July 25, 1857, attended the public and high schools, graduating in 1874 and read law with Hand, Hale, Schwartz & Fairchild and with Attorney-General Charles S. Fairchild, being also a clerk in the attorney-general's office. He completed his law studies in the office of Hon. Sidney T. Fairchild. counsel for the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. and treasurer of the Hudson River Bridge Company, and was admitted to the bar in 1878. In May, 1885, he went to Washington as private secretary to Hon. Charles S. Fairchild, assistant secretary of the treasury, and remained with him in the same capacity while he was secretary of the treasury, resigning in April. 1889. Returning to Albany, Mr. Graham has since been in the active practice of his profession. In 1883 he was elected a member of the Albany Board of Public Instruction and served until he went to Washington. He was appointed a civil service commissioner by Mayor Manning and held the office about one year, when he resigned. In May, 1893, he was appointed by Comptroller James H. Eckels national bank examiner for the Northern District of New York, and still holds that position. He is a member and trustee of the Catholic Union and is unmarried.

Graham, Hugh, one of Cohoes's most prominent business men, began life without a dollar. He was born in Belfast, Ireland, in 1844. He was brought up to the hardware, seed and grocery business, a son of a farmer in his native county, and upon coming to Cohoes in 1864 he accepted a confidential clerkship in a wholesale grocery. In 1868 he began business for himself on Willow street, as Stanton & Graham. The grocery business became so extensive that a large, handsome store was erected. Later his partner sold out to Mr. Conway, who died in 1896 when Mr. Graham also left the business. In 1888 he purchased the plant of the American Soap Company, and with Mr. Andrae the industry has become an extensive one, now known as the "American Soap & Washoline Company," of which Mr. Graham is president. He is a trustee of the Manufacturers Bank, a member of the City Hall Commission, one of the first commissioners of the Hospital Commission, an organ- izer and director of the Cohoes City Railway, president of the New York State Retail Business Men's Association, 1888, and was re elected again in 1892, and president of the Cohoes Business Men's Association four years, 1888 to 1892.

Graves, Anthony Gardner, was born in Albany, N. Y., October 26, 1840, and has been a resident of the capital city ever since. He received a liberal education in the Albany Academy and the Carlisle Seminary; at the early age of four years he began his career in terpsichorean art, from his father, who for nearly half a century was the leading teacher of dancing in this part of the country, and at the age of sixteen was a valuable assistant to his experienced and talented parent, and so continued until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, in 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, 10th Regt. N. Y. S. M. and was detailed for guard duty at the old barracks on the New Scotland road. This experience gave him a taste for active duty in the field and he accordingly enlisted in the famous 44th Regiment, N. Y. Vols., known as the People's Ellsworth Regiment, and was warranted as third sergeant in Company F, August 3; and October 21, 1861, departed with his regiment for the seat of war. He was seriously wounded at the battle of Hanover Court House, Va., by a gun shot wound entering the left side of his neck and passing through and lodging in the right shoulder. He was sent home and subsequently recovering, rejoined his regiment at Harrison's Landing, where he was promoted to orderly sergeant. He was taken prisoner in the second battle of Bull Run and paroled on the field. January 14, 1863, he was promoted to a second lieutenancy and for meritorious service at the battle of Gettysburg was raised to the commission of first lieutenant. He was again wounded while in command of his company at the battle of North Anna River, May 24, 1864, by a gun shot in right elbow; he found himself again disabled and was obliged to take an honorable discharge, June 30, 1864. After recovering from his wounds and finding his patriotism and military ardor still warm, he hastened again to respond to the governmental call for union troops and November 14, 1864, re-enlisted, as a private, in the 11th Independent Light Battery, known as the Havelock Battery of Light Artillery, and went to Hart's Island, N. Y., where he was detailed to act as orderly sergeant of a company to do infantry guard duty over enlisted and conscripted men. After being relieved of this duty he joined his battery in front of Petersburg, Va. After doing duty with the battery at Forts McKilvery and Welsh, he was promoted to be second lieutenant and placed on detached duty as commanding 2d Corps Artillery Brigade Ambulance Corps with the rank of acting assistant quartermaster, in which capacity he served until the surrender of Lee at Appomattox Court House and the close of the war. He was mustered out of the service at Albany, June 13, 1865. Lieutenant Graves participated in the following battles: Yorktown, Hanover Court House, Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Aldie, Gettysburg, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottsylvania. North Anna, Weldon Railroad, Five Forks, Petersburg and Appomattox Court House. His highly creditable service as a soldier having ended with the end of the war, he returned to Albany to again assist his father in the teaching of dancing and so continued until June, 1867, when he departed for Europe to be insitructed in the art there and so to better qualify himself in the best essentials of his profession. In Paris he received valuable instruction from those celebrated teachers, Monsieurs Cellarious and Boizott. On his return from abroad with his improved equipment, he entered into partnership with his father and so continued until the partnership ended with the retirement of the elder Graves in 1876; since that time Mr. Graves has continued as a master of his art. He has devised and originated many new dances and is recognized by the public and the American Society of Professors of Dancing of which he is an honored and respected member, as being in the foremost rank of American instructors in dancing.

Gray, John Clinton, associate judge of the Court of Appeals of the State of New York, was born in New York city. He received his education in Berlin, at the New York University, and at the Howard Law School. He was admitted to the bar in Boston, Mass., and practiced law in the city of New York from 1866 until his appointment in 1888 to the bench of the Court of Appeals of New York, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Rapallo, and was elected for a full term in the same year. Judge Gray is a cultivated scholar and one of the best writers in the Court.

Gray, Vivian, has been a resident of the vicinity of Watervliet since 1862. He was born in New Jersey in 1857, a son of George Gray, a retired resident of Lansingburgh. He learned the trade of tinsmith and in 1885 established business for himself, carrying a full line of house furnishing goods. Mr. Gray recently added to his business a line of fire insurance. He is also a prominent man in the Masonic fraternity.

Green, Archibald S., born in Oneida county, N Y., October 1, 1825, is a son of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Stephens) Green. The maternal grandfather, Archibald Stephens, was one of the prominent farmers of Coeymans, and was a magistrate appointed by the governor. The paternal grandparents of Mr. Green were Quakers in faith and early settlers of Coeymans, coming from Westchester county. Jeremiah Green was a merchant at Stephenville, now Alcove, N. Y., whence he removed in 1831 to Westerlo and purchased the Moses Smith store and there carried on a general mercantile business until time of death in 1849. He was a Democrat and was justice of the peace a number of years. He was also a Mason, and was a birthright Quaker. Archibald S. Green was educated at Cazenovia Seminary, and Knoxville and Gallupville Academies. He was appointed recruiting officer in the Civil war and enlisted a number of soldiers to the credit of Albany county; was also treasurer for the club of drafted men and others liable to be drafted from the town of Westerlo, and assisted in disbursing several thousand dollars to these drafted members of the club. In 1853 he married Sarah, daughter of Charles Cox of Orleans county. N. Y., and they had three children: George J. and Charles G., who are in business with their father at Westerlo, and William, who died in infancy. Mr. Green has carried on a general mercantile business, succeeding his father; he also has about 1,000 acres of land in Westerlo, which he has to look after. He is a Democrat and was postmaster under Buchanan. His son George J. is at present postmaster at Westerlo.

Green, Col. G. James, son of John R. and Ann C. (Vosburgh) Green, was born in Albany, N. Y., June 4, 1860. His great-grandfather, John, an Englishman, came from Dublin to America and settled in Niskayuna, N. Y., where he married Rebecca Groot. They had a son, Cornelius, who married Gertrude Tymerson. G. James Green received his education in the Albany public and high schools. In 1875 he went into the employ of the D. & H. C. Co. as clerk, and for three years following was paymaster for Curtin & Whalen, railroad contractors. In 1884 he was tendered the position of bookkeeper with McKinley & Co., and remained with that company until 1893, when he resigned to accept a similar position with Weidman & Co. January 1, 1894, he was appointed chief clerk in the oflfice of the inspector-general of the State of New York and on January 3, 1895, he was appointed assistant inspector-general of the State, which position he now holds. Colonel Green enlisted in Co. B, 10th Regt., November 13, 1879; was promoted corporal January 4, 1881; dropped on account of removal from the city, November 30, 1881; taken up as private in Co. B, 10th Battalion, June 6, 1884; promoted corporal September 7, 1885; sergeant, January 18, 1886; first sergeant, May 3, 1886; second lieutenant, October 15, 1887; lieutenant-colonel and assistant adjutant-general, Third Brigade, December 11, 1889. Upon the resignation of Brigadier-General Parker he was placed upon the supernumerary list, at his own request; January 2, 1891, and on August 9, of the same year, he was elected captain of his old company, vice Stacpole promoted major of the battalion. Colonel Green resigned the captaincy of Co. B, January 1, 1895. He is a member of the United Service Club of New York city, the Military Service Institution of the United States and the Unconditional Republican Club of Albany.

Greene, Dr. Frederick R., son of Warren S. and Celia (Randall) Greene, was born June 8, 1863, in Petersburgh, N. Y. He was educated at the district school in Petersburgh and at Hoosick Falls Academy, and after reading medicine one year with Dr. L. B. Newton, of North Bennington, Vt., entered the Albany Medical College in the fall of 1881, graduating in 1884 with the degree of M. D. He practiced in Petersburgh, N. Y., for a year and a half, and in the fall of 1885 located in Albany, where he is now practicing. Dr. Greene is a member of the Acacia Club, Ancient City Lodge No. 452, F. & A. M., Mountaineer Lodge, I. O. O. F., New York Encampment No. 1, K. P., and the Albany County Medical Society. October 6, 1886, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas R. Blackburn, of Albany, and they have one son, Frederick R., Jr.

Greene, Lindsey, is the son of Anson, and the grandson of Daniel, whose father, William Greene, came from Connecticut to Coeymans about 1788 and settled in Coeymans Hollow. He had four sons: William, Russell, David and Anson. Anson Greene was for many years a merchant; he died in 1893 leaving two sons, Stanley and Lindsey, who still carry on the store where their father did business. In 1886 they bought the paper mills at Alcove, where they continued until 1891 when they were destroyed by fire. Mr. Lindsey studied law at the Albany Law School, and was admitted to the bar in 1880, after which he practiced for some years at Ravena, and, though now devoting most of his time to the mercantile business, has some law practice.

Gregory, Hon. Clifford D., judge of the County Court, was born in the city of New York and liberally educated at La Fayette Institute and Columbia College. He became an Albanian in 1873 and a student of the Albany Law School, graduating from that institution two years later. He was for seven years associated with the firm of Parker & Countryman, and in 1894 formed a copartnership with his late brother, George Stewart Gregory, which continued until the death of the latter in 1888. He is a Republican in politics, but a politician of broad guage; his popularity is universal. His ability as a debater and his forcible and fearless advocacy of commendable measures, made him an acknowledged leader in the Board of Aldermen, to which he was first elected in 1888 and again elected without opposition. Judge Gregory is a life member of the Society of Colonial Wars, and vice-president of the Albany Chapter; a life member and president of the Albany Club; a life member of the Fort Orange Club; director of the Albany County Bank; from 1890 to 1894 was president of the Republican Executive Committee of Albany County; and a life member and president of the Ridgefield Athletic Club. He is honored alike in political, professioual and social life.

Grey, W. W., son of William C. and Mary (Burrows) Grey, was born in Bedford, England, in 1851. He received his early education in the Bedford schools and was apprenticed when very young as office assistant to the Howards of Bedford, Eng- land, manufacturers of agricultural implements and the inventors of the iron plow. He remamed there until 1871, when he came to America, having been preceded by his parents. Before leaving England Mr. Grey had been importuned to accept the position of bookkeeper in the office of Coolidge, Pratt & Co., brewers, of Albany. In 1872 the business, which is one of the oldest breweries in America, having been started in 1797, was incorporated under the name of the Albany Brewing Company. Subsequently Mr. Grey became a member of the company, and in 1890 he was elected assistant manager, which office he now fills. Mr. Grey is a 32° Mason and is the potentate of Cyprus Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He has been president of St. George's Society of Albany for two years and was its secretary seventeen years. He was commodore of the Albany Yacht Club for three years and was one of the organizers of the first fencing class in Albany. He is also president of the Erwin Manufacturing Company of Greenbush, N. Y., and was a director of the South End Bank. He is a member of the Press, Acacia and Albany Clubs, and also a member of the Albany Masonic Veteran Association.

Griffen, Edward C., son of Edward and Harriett (Perkins) Griffen, was born in Newark, N. J., September 5, 1868. In 1875 he moved with his parents to Schuylerville, N. Y., where he attended the high school at that place. Subsequently he attended the Albany Business College and graduated from that institution June 6, 1887, when he entered the employ of Henry Russell, flour merchant, and remained with him seven years, rising to the position of bookkeeper. In January, 1894, Mr. Griffen resigned his position with Mr. Russell and opened a store at No. 43 Hudson avenue, where he deals in flour, feed, hay and grain. He is one of Albany's youngest merchants and is respected for his integrity, perseverance and fair dealing. February 10, 1892, he married Harietta Meader of Quaker Springs, N. Y., and they have one son, Chauncey Rider.

Griswold, Stephen B., son of Martin and Hannah (Smith) Griswold, was born in the town of Vernon, Oneida county, N.Y., July 14, 1835. He is descended from old New England families on both the paternal and maternal sides. His grandfather, Matthew Griswold, was one of the first settlers in Vernon, and his great-grandfather, Phineas Griswold of Winchester township, Litchfield county, Conn., was descended from one of the early settlers of Connecticut who came from Warwickshire, England, in 1725, and founded the Griswold family in America. Stephen B. Griswold, the subject of this sketch, worked on his father's farm until 1856, and in the mean time attended the common school and the Vernon Academy. At the age of twenty-two he went West and spent the year 1857 in the State of Minnesota, where he was one of the first white settlers in Meeker county. The following winter and spring he spent teaching school in Winnebago county, Ill. In 1858 he returned East and spent nearly a year at his home in Vernon, when he decided upon the legal profession, and in the fall of 1859 entered the Albany Law School, graduating in the spring of the following year and was admitted to the bar. The two following years he was a student in the law office of Lyman Tremain and Rufus W. Peckham. After leaving the office of Tremain & Peckham, Mr. Griswold practiced law in Albany and Oneida counties until 1868, when he was induced by the late Chancellor John V. L. Pruyn to accept the position of law librarian of the State Library, which position he has held continuously for the past twenty-nine years. In 1868 the number of law books in the library was 20,000; now it is 58,000. In 1863 he prepared a subject index of the law library and a supplement thereto in 1893. which has been pronounced by Sir Frederick Pollock of London and other eminent jurists to be the most satisfactory law catalogue yet published. Many changes have taken place among the officials of the library since Mr. Griswold's connection with it. Not one of the nineteen trustees who were in office when Mr. Griswold was appointed in 1868 is now living. Mr. Griswold is a member of the First Reformed church of Albany, and has served several terms as deacon and elder. He is a member and has held office in the Albany County Sunday School Association, the Y. M. C. A. the Albany City Tract and Missionary Society, and the Albany County Bible Society. In November, 1860, Mr. Griswold married Angeline E. Cornwell of Albany. They have one son, Henry E., who has been for seventeen years sub-librarian of the State Law Library.

Grogan, Michael, was born in Ireland and was brought to America when an infant. John Grogan, having preceded him two years before and who had directly located in West Troy, was a pioneer settler and for years in the employ of the Harrington planing mill. Here Mr. Grogan has spent most of his life, first acquiring the cooper's trade, which he followed for thirteen years. He served one year as clerk in the weighlock and then entered the county clerk's office under John Larkin, acting as clerk for four years. In 1884 he was appointed deputy sheriff, filling the position for eleven years.

Groot, James Bleecker, was born in the city of Albany in 1848. He is the son of Philip Wendell Groot, who was a native of Fonda. Montgomery county, N. Y., and a descendant of the old and widely known Groot family of Amsterdam. He was for many years a broker in New York city. In 1840 he came to Albany and engaged in the dry goods and real estate business but after a time returned to New York city and resumed his operations as a broker. His wife was Deborah Sanders, a native of Schenectady, and a daughter of Barent and Cathalina (Bleecker) Sanders. Mr. and Mrs. Groot reared three children, two daughters and one son; he died about 1870, and his wife survived him eight years. James Bleecker, the subject, spent most of his time in early life traveling about for his health; after a time he studied law and later engaged in the mercantile business for a time in Albany. In 1887 he accepted a position as assistant paymaster on the Delaware & Hudson Canal Railroad which he now holds. In 1888 he erected a residence on the mountain side, above the village of Altamont in the town of Guilderland. In 1893 he erected his handsome and imposing residence on the mountain side, above the village, a picturesque spot, commanding a beautiful view of the valley. At this beautiful residence he and his sisters make their permanent home. In this home they have old pictures, furniture, and rare old china, Japanese and Russian tea sets, comprising hundreds of pieces of the most elegant and antique ware, worth thousands of dollars. All these articles were inherited as the portion of the estates of Groot, Bleecker, Sanders, and Van Rensselaer families, from whom they are descended. Mr. Groot is a natural mechanic and mathematician, and spends much of his time in the manufacture of fine and complicated clocks of his own designing, having a room setoff as his work shop, which he has well stocked with all the finest and modern tools, etc. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Noah Lodge and Noah Chapter of Altamont, and is a thirty-second degree Mason of Albany Lodge.

Guardineer, George H., son of John and Mary (Cathington) Guardineer, was born in Bridgeport, Conn., June 9, 1852, and came with his parents to Albany in 1855. His father, an iron moulder by trade, was for many years assistant superintendent of the old State Capitol. When thirteen Mr. Guardineer, having finished his education in the public schools, entered the photograph gallery of McDonald & Sterry and remained with them and their successor, J. N. McDonald for twenty-seven years, being a traveling salesman for the latter for twelve years. About 1867 Mr. McDonald established in connection with the gallery a photographic supply business, which Mr. Guardineer purchased November 1, 1894, and which he successfully continues, carrying a large stock of all kinds of photographic materials. Mr. Guardineer was the Republican supervisor of the Seventeenth ward in 1888; was a member of the Board of Public Instruction from 1891 until it ceased to exist as an elective board; and is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., Capital City Chapter No. 242, R. A. M., the A. O U. W., the Royal Arcanum, the Albany Burgesses Corps, the Acacia and Unconditional Republican Clubs, the Knights of Pythias and the Uniformed Rank K. of P., in which he is assistant adjutant-general with the rank of colonel for the State of New York. In December, 1873, he married Emma Reid of Voorheesville, N. Y., and their children are Nellie and Frederick.

Guthrie, Alfred A., son of Samuel and Catherine (Minear) Guthrie, was born in Troy, Davis county, la., September 20, 1850, was prepared for college in the academy of his native town and received from the State University of Iowa the degree of A. B. in 1875 and that of A. M. in 1877. After graduating he began the study of law in the office of Hatch & Hatch of Hannibal, Mo., but in 1883 removed to Albany and took a partial course of studies at the Union Law School, receiving the degree of LL. B. and being admitted to the bar of New York in June, 1884. He was associated in practice with his brother, William R. Guthrie and Andrew J. Colvin, until the former's death in 1890, and since then has continued alone. He has always been a Republican, has held several positions of trust and honor, and is pre-eminently a scholar, a lover of books and a thorough student of jurisprudence. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, past commander of Temple Commandery No. 2, K. T., past thrice illustrious master of De Witt Clinton Council, No. 32, R. & S. M., past high priest of Capital City Chapter No. 343, R. A. M,, past master of the Ineffable and Sublime Grand Lodge of Perfection of Albany, a trustee representing his chapter in the New Temple Commission, and a member of the Grand Commandery of New York and has been the representative of the Grand Commandery of Texas. In Odd Fellowship he has from its inception been counsel without compensation for the trustees of the New Odd Fellows Temple of Albany. He was elected grand warden of the Grand Lodge of Odd Fellows of the State of New York in 1893, deputy grand master August 1, 1894, and grand master in August 1895, holding the latter office one year. He is continually called upon to deliver addresses in all parts of the State. December 25, 1877, he married Ella, daughter of Rev. Samuel M. Osmond, D. D., of Philadelphia, Pa., who died in March, 1879, leaving one son: Keith Osmond Guthrie, now a student at Yale College, class of 1899.

Gutmann, John, a native of Albany, born December 14, 1853, is the son of John L., who was born in Doerbach, Prussia, Germany, came to Albany in 1851 and died here in July, 1889; he was a moulder, superintendent and director of the Albany Stove Company and president of St. Joseph's Benevolent Association; his wife, Elizabeth Hensel, died March 8, 1870. John Gutmann was educated in German private schools and the Christian Brothers' Academy, graduating in 1869, and also attended the Albany Business College. He read law with Henry N. Wickes, was graduated from the Albany Law School and admitted to the bar in 1874, and practiced in partnership with Mr. Wickes until 1882. Since then he has followed the profession alone. He was justice of the Justice's Court about four and a half years, police justice from 1884 to 1894, has been delegate to several Democratic conventions and is a member of various German organizations. In January, 1876, he married Theresa Kresser af Albany, who died in 1880, leaving two children: John H. and Julia T. He married second, in 1883, Christine E. Weber, a native of Kingston, N. Y., and their children are: Loretta C., Anna M. and Elizabeth C.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page