US GenWeb

Family Sketches

Surnames Beginning with "F"

This page was last updated 6 Apr 2016

These family sketches are from Landmarks of Albany County, New York, edited by Amasa J. Parker of Albany, N. Y., Syracuse, N. Y.; D. Mason & Co. Publishers, 1897.

Fanning, James O., was born of American parentage in Gorham, Ontario county, N. Y., March 8, 1835. He received a common school and an academical education, the latter being obtained principally at the Franklin Academy at Prattsburg, Steu- ben county, N. Y. Mr. Fanning was a student in the office of Hon. Daniel Morris at Penn Yan, N. Y., and in the law department of the University of Albany, and was admitted to the bar in 1860. After practicing some years, Mr. Fanning served three years as accountant in the Treasury Department atWashington and the same period as financial and engrossing clerk of the State Assembly. He has been connected with the State Board of Charities as assistant secretary for about twenty years.

Fearey, Joseph, & Son. Thomas and Joseph Fearey, natives of England, engaged in the retail boot and shoe business in Albany in 1844 and continued together until 1865, when Thomas and his two sons, George D. and Thomas H., established a shoe manufactory. Joseph Fearey continued the retail business alone and soon admitted his son William H. as a partner, under the firm name of Joseph Fearey & Son, which has ever since remained unchanged. Joseph Fearey died in 1890, and his son, in January, 1895, and since then the business has been carried on by Mrs. William H. Fearey, with William T. McMuUan as manager. The latter has been with the house since 1871, and in 1882 was promoted to his present position. The firm has two large stores in Albany and one in Troy, the latter being opened in 1894.

Featherstonhaugh, J. D., M. D., one of the most scholarly and eminent of the medical profession of Cohoes. He was born at Washington, D. C, in 1845. His father was James D. Featherstonhaugh, a civil engineer. Dr. Featherstonhaugh's boyhood was passed in France and England, where he received his preliminary education. Returning to America he entered Union College at Schenectady in 1863, graduating four years later with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He at once began the study of medicine in the office of the late A. M. Vedder of Schenectady, and was graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the City of New York in 1870, and began the practice of his profession during the same year at Cohoes. He has taken an active part in educational matters and in municipal government, having served for a number of years as curator to the Albany Medical College, as school commissioner for several terms, and is at present secretary of the Public Improvement Commission of Cohoes. The doctor is a member of the Albany County Medical Society, and also of the State organization. He was married in 1892 to Caroline M. Johnston, daughter of the late Robert Johnston, of Cohoes.

Felter, James, was born in Rensselaerville, August 3, 1840, and is a son of Andrew, born April 27, 1808, and Jemima Felter, he born in Rensselaerville and she in Westerlo, Albany county. The grandfather was William, a son of Jacob Felter, a native of Holland who came to America before the French and Indian war and fought in that war; he died in Kingston, Ulster county. The grandfather of Mr. Felter came to Rensselaerville and took up land and there died; his wife was Jane Joy, of English descent, a daughter of John Joy of England, and died in Ulster county. The father was a farmer and lived in Rensselaerville. He sold his first farm and about 1853 bought the farm now owned by Mr. Felter, and died in the village of Rensselaerville in 1894, at the age of eighty-six, and his widow now lives at Rensselaerville, aged eighty-two. He was supervisor for two terms, 1858 and 1859, and was also commissioner of highways and assessor. Mr. Felter was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He is a farmer on the old homestead of 160 acres. In 1868 he married Mary Eckerson of Seward, Schoharie county, by whom he has one son, Charles H., born July 39, 1869, educated in the common schools, and is a farmer by occupation, and also an engineer. February 6, 1892, he married Mary Brown of Albany, and has one son, Frank, born August 18, 1893. Mrs. Felter is a daughter of William Eckerson and Jenette Miller, who lived and died in Schoharie county.

Fennelly, P. E., M. D., a well known and prominent physician of West Troy, began the study of medicine in his native country, Ireland, where he was born in 1848. He was educated at St. Kyran's College, Kilkenny; in 1867 became to America and entered the Albany Medical College, graduating in 1869. He began his successful career as general practitioner here in 1870, and early reached the front rank of the profession. He is a valued member of the various medical societies and has been health officer here many years.

Ferguson, William H., was born in the town of New Scotland in 1845 on the farm he and his brother Andrew now own. The farm was bought by his grandfather, Lot Ferguson, in 1812, who was a native of West Chester county, N.Y., and born in 1764. He came to New Scotland in 1785, where he followed teaching. Here he met and married Miss Anna Bruce, a native of the place; he then purchased and settled on a tract of land on Black Creek; meeting with misfortunes on this farm, he sold it and in 1812 purchased and settled on the farm now occupied by William H. and Andrew Ferguson; here he met with unusually good success and accumulated a large property. His children were William, John, Michael, Hannah and Elizabeth. He died August 17, 1829, and his wife March 5, 1847. William, the father of William H. Ferguson, was born on his father's farm in 1800; after the death of his father he purchased the farm of the heirs and spent his life there. His wife was Jane E., daughter of William and Helen (Murray) Fuller, and their children were William H., Andrew, Ellen, Alice, John, Edmund, Margaret and Ada. He died in 1879 and his wife in 1886. William H. Ferguson attended the common schools, and a select school two terms. He learned the carpenter's and builder's trade, also coopering, wagonmaking and millwright work, studied engineering and learned it practically by running his own engine, and so made himself master of details in running their extensive cider and vinegar factory. William, Andrew and John built a new mill in 1865 and put in better presses with large wooden smashers; the business grew and in 1881-82 the present mill was built, 53 by 54, with a sixteen horse power steam engine to run the machinery, with the latest improved grinders and presses, William taking charge and operating it. In 1882 they put in the quick process for making vinegar and their goods are much sought after. Mr. Ferguson studied chemistry for twelve years and was a close student of the chemical change of cider when passing from the juice to the finished cider or vinegar, and became an expert in that line. He has invented several improvements, which are in use and greatly benefit the manufacturers. He is a regular correspondent for several journals which are devoted to the trade and the manufacture of cider and vinegar, and is considered the highest authority. It is an acknowledged fact that he has defended the cause of the cidermakers of the United States, without recompense, and has done more for them than any other man in America. He is a member of the New York State Cider and Vinegar Association. From 1882 to 1891 he was on the road a portion of each year, selling and erecting vinegar machines. In addition to the cider and vinegar factory the brothers run a box factory, in which they use annually many thousand feet of planed lumber. In 1894 they put in fruit evaporators, with which they are now doing an extensive business, nearly their entire product going direct to Germany and France. The homestead they have changed from a grain and stock farm to a fruit farm. Mr. Ferguson is a member of the Odd Fellows, Voorheesville Lodge, of which he is past grand. In 1868 he married Emma, daughter of Isaac and Lauraetta (Sprung) Morrison of East Greenbush, and their children are Lulu May and Nellie Hendrick.

Filkins, Edward Vincent. The late Edward Vincent Filkins was born in East Berne, on the Filkins homestead, in 1821 of Scotch ancestry. His father, Richard Filkins, was a native of Vermont and came to Berne with his parents about 1792, and later settled in the eastern part of the town on a farm of 200 acres. He also owned and operated a saw mill, and was a soldier in the war of 1812, filling the office of sergeant. He was twice married, and by his first wife six children were born. His second wife was Catharine Angle; to this union were born fourteen children, eight sons growing to maturity. Edward V. was reared on his fathers farm and attended the Rensselaerville and Knoxville Academies, teaching .school to procure means to pay his way. He read law in Delhi and settled in Berne in 1854, where he spent his life practicing his profession with success and distinction. Previous to his entering actively into the law practice, he filled the office of school commissioner. His law practice was extensive, often being retained on cases which carried him before the higher courts in Albany. His wife was Emma E.. daughter of Rev. Thomas L. Shafer and they had three children: Carrie E., Thomas Richard and May S. He died February 13, 1887, and his wife September 23, 1894. The surviving children, Carrie and Thomas, still reside on their father's homestead in the village of Berne, and they own a farm of 400 acres in Iowa. Miss Filkins is a graduate of Temple Grove Seminary of Saratoga, and for some years afterward devoted her attention to teaching.

Fish, Julius, son of Simon and Jeanette (Schuster) Fish, was born in Albany, N. Y., in April, 1853. He received his education in the public schools and after leaving, was "bound over" for three years to learn the trade of stripping tobacco in the factory of Fred Classen on Green street. He worked at the bench in different factories after learning his trade and by hard work and judicious saving was enabled to go into business for himself in 1872. His store was then located on lower South Pearl street; in 1876 he opened a tobacco store and cigar manufactory at No. 14 South Pearl street. In 1896 he sold the store and now confines his attention solely to the manufacture of cigars at the same location. Mr. Fish is very popular in social and fraternal circles, being a member of the Adelphi Club and Gideon Lodge. He has been prominently identified with the Democratic party and is now a member of the general committee. In January, 1897, Mayor Thacher appointed him a member of the Board of Fire Commissioners to succeed Rufus Townsend, deceased.

Fisher, David A., was born in I834, and is the son of Daniel G., who was born in 1808 and died in 1860, and grandson of Duncan, and great-grandson of Daniel Fisher, who was among the first settlers of Berne, in 1770. Mr. Fisher came to Bethlehem in 1856 and to his present home in 1881, where he is a farmer. He married Mary M. Long, and they have four sons and three daughters; Burton (who is a lawyer), Frederick D., Richard L. and David D., Anna, Eleanor and Maria D.

Fitch, Dr. John H., was born in New Scotland, April 2, 1837. His father, Ebenezer A. Fitch, was a descendant in the sixth generation from Rev. James Fitch, who emigrated from England in 1638 and was one of the founders of Norwich, Conn., where he preached over fifty years. The mother of Dr. Fitch was Eliza, daughter of John A. Crounse and granddaughter of David Martin, a soldier of the Revolution. Dr. Fitch received his education at the New York Conference Seminary, Charlotteville, N. Y., and at the New York State Normal School at Albany, from which institution he was graduated in 1858. He spent two years in teaching and in September, 1861, enlisted in Co. D, 48th N. Y. State Infantry. He served three years, seeing much active service and was honorably discharged in 1864. He commenced the study of medicine in 1866 and was graduated from the New York Eclectic Medical College in 1868. He commenced practice in New York city and was house surgeon of its dispensary, demonstrator of anatomy two years and in 1870 was appointed adjunct professor of anatomy. He removed to Albany in 1872, where he was surgeon in the Albany Homeopathic Hospital in 1872-73; since 1873 he has resided in New Scotland Dr. Fitch has been to some extent a contributor to current medical literature, is the author of articles in "The Encyclopedia of Materia Medica Pura," and in conjunction with Dr. R. E. Kinze of New York, of a work entitled " A Monograph on Cactus," published in 1875. He is a member of the Albany Homeopathic Medical Society and of the International Hahnemann Association; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and Masonic fraternity. Dr. Fitch was married in 1874, to Mary, daughter of A. W. Twitchell, of Albany, who died in 1882 and by whom he had one daughter, May. In 1884 he married Melissa, daughter of James McCulloch, of New Scotland.

Fitts, Hon. George H., was born in Cohoes, Albany county, September 29, 1851. He is of English descent and his parents, Lucien and Lemira M. (Slocum) Fitts, were natives of New England. Mr. Fitts was graduated from Dartniouth College in 1873 and from the Albany Law School in 1874. He then commenced the practice of law in Cohoes, where he continued until January 1, 1896, when he assumed the office of surrogate of Albany county, which be now holds. He was in partnership with Charles F. Doyle from January, 1878, to October, 1891, and was a member of the firm of Fitts & Wertime from January 1, 1894, to January 1, 1896. Judge Fitts was city attorney of Cohoes from May, 1888, to January 1, 1896, when he resigned. June 4, 1896, he married Clara B., daughter of the late Henry S. Bogue of Cohoes.

Fitzgerald Brothers, Edward J. and William R., are sons of Edward J. Fitzgerald, who came to Albany from Ireland about 1840 and died here in 1884, aged fifty-four; he was for many years a plumber, carrying on a successful business alone and later under the firm name of E. Fitzgerald & Sons. Edward J. Fitzgerald, Jr., was born in Albany, December 30, 1864, and learned the trade of machinist at Green Island. William R. was born in 1873. In April, 1892, they formed a copartnership under the style of Fitzgerald Brothers and purchased of Peter Kinnear the old brass foundry at the corner of Beaver and Grand streets, which they have conducted with marked success. They manufacture an infinite variety of brass appliances, such as steam engine work, iron turning, brass castings and couplings, copper and composition castings, cocks, brass work for breweries, etc.

Fitzsimmons, James J., is the son of James, a native of Ireland and was born December 6, 1852, in Albany, where his father, a blacksmith, settled in 1826. The latter died here in 1882. Mr. Fitzsimmons attended the public schools, and also the Christian Brothers, was for two years employed in a leather store, and in 1870 was graduated from the Albany Business College. After teaching for a time he entered, in 1872, the employ of the Howe Sewing Machine Company, with whom he remained until 1885, as cashier of the Albany and later of the Bridgeport, Conn., offices. He was then engaged in the retail shoe business in Albany three years. In 1890 he became cashier of the Westchester Telephone Company and in 1893 was elected treasurer of the Hudson River Telephone Company, which position he still holds. He has also been treasurer of the Albany District Telegraph Company since its organization. He was school commissioner from 1889 to 1892; is a member and vice-president of the Catholic Union; and is financial secretary of Cathedral Council, No. 55, C. B. L., and a deputy state chancellor of that order, and a director in the Safety Loan and Building Association. November 30, 1876, he married Margaret T., daughter of John Lamb, of Albany and they have six children living.

Flagler, Peter H., was born in the town of Westerlo, in 1840. John, his grandfather, came from Dutchess county to Albany county and settled in Westerlo on a farm about 1800. He reared seven children: Peter, Daniel, John, Eli, Julia, Kate, and Elizabeth. Peter, the father of Peter H., grew to maturity in the town of Westerlo and was a farmer by occupation. In 1840 he represented his district in the Legislature. He died in 1866; his wife was Letta Lawrence, daughter of William Lawrence of Westerlo. Their children were Chester, Morgan, John, William, Juliaette, Peter, H., and Almira. The mother died in 1893 at the age of eighty-nine. Peter H. spent his early life on his father's farm, and attended common schools and Fort Edward Collegiate Institute. He began for himself as a farmer, which he followed until 1882; in 1866 he came to the town of New Scotland, and removed from his farm to the village of Clarksville in 1882, where he has since resided. For a num- ber of years he was a dealer in agricultural implements, and for five years manufactured shirts by contract, in the village of Clarksville. By profession he is an auctioneer of about thirty years' experience. During President Harrison's administration he received his appointment as postmaster at Clarksville, which came as a surprise to him as he had not applied for it. He takes great interest in educational matters and is school trustee of his district. He is one of the most active workers on the proposed Albany, Helderberg, and Schoharie Electric Railroad, and is also one of the promoters and stockholders of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, from New York to Ogdensburg. In 1860 he married Miss Julia A., daughter of Elsbree Jones of New Scotland, by whom one child has been born, Millie, wife of R. Clinton Bagley, who is a merchant of Clarksville. Mr. Flagler has been superintendent of the M. E. Sunday school for over twenty years, and is also president of the town of New Scotland Sunday School Association. In 1895 he received the appointment of deputy sheriff and court officer of his town for a term of three years, which duties he performed to the entire satisfaction of all. Mrs. Flagler is a member of the Ladies' Aid Society.

Flanders, George Lovell, son of Arthur and Mary (Lovell) Flanders, was born in the town of Parishville, St. Lawrence county, February 29, 1856. He received his education in the Potsdam Normal School and during the years of 1881 and 1882 he was a teacher in the Madrid Union School. He studied law in the ofifice of Parker & Mclntyre in Potsdam, and later was graduated from the Albany Law School and admitted to the bar and to practice in the United States Circuit Court. In the fall of 1883 he removed to Albany and in May, 1884, was appointed assistant state dairy commissioner, at the time of the creation of the department. The title of his office has since been changed to that of assistant commissioner of agriculture, an office which he has retained under every commissioner appointed. Mr. Flanders was one of the first to advocate the creation of the department. He is a member of Ancient City Lodge, F. & A. M., and of the Royal Arcanum. In April, 1885, he married Catharine Southwick, daughter of William Keeler, of Albany, and they have two daughters: Lillian Lovell and Marian Southwick.

Flanigan, Eugene D., was born in Albany, N. Y., September 25, 1863. He received his education in the Christian Brothers' Academy, from which he was graduated in 1888; he then studied law with Nathan P. Hinman and was admitted to the bar in September, 1886. He is a member of the Catholic Union and the Old Guard Albany Zouave Cadets. Mr. Flanigan married Maud N. Edwards in October, 1884, and they have one daughter, Marjorie.

Flansburgh, Alexander, was born in the town of New Scotland, November 28, 1846. He received a limited education and grew to manhood on his father's farm and when twenty one worked for his father by the month. He subsequently began for himself on one of his father's farms, in 1881 purchasing the homestead farm of 160 acres on the Helderberg Mountains, on which he lived seven years, when he removed to his father's farm, which he has since managed. He has devoted much attention successfully to fruit culture. In 1893 he became a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, Clarksville Lodge No. 781, and in the autumn of the same year was elected master of the lodge, which office he now holds. He is the only man in Albany county who is a member of the County, State and National Grange. He has visited many of the higher lodges throughout the country, at his own expense, for the benefit of his home lodge, and through his efforts and support, the Clarksville lodge in the spring of 1896 was enabled to purchase a building in the village to hold their meetings in. In June, 1896, he joined the Patrons of Industry as charter member, was elected president of Clarksville Association No. 515. When Albany County Association P. of I. was organized he was elected treasurer and business manager of the county, and has made it a success for the patrons of the county, of which there are about 1,200 at this writing. Mr. Flansburgh is a Republican and has served one year as collector. In 1872 he married Hattie (a native of New Scotland) a daughter of John and Rachel M. (Moak) O'Bryan, and they have three children; Margaret L. (wife of William G. Moak of Westerlo), Clara C. and Charles. Mrs. Flansburgh is a member of the Clarksville Lodge, Patrons of Husbandry, in which she holds the office of Ceres; their daughter Clara is also a member of the grange and fills the office of Pomona. His wife, Hattie, and children, Clara and Charles, are also members of the Patrons of Industry. Matthew Flansburgh, his father, was born in New Scotland in 1818 and has been a lifelong and successful farmer. His wife was Nancy M. Dunbar and their children are: Emeline, Cordelia and Alexander. John P. Flansburgh, the grandfather of Alexander, was born in the town of Bethlehem, September 23, 1784, and was a lifelong and successful farmer. He lived in Sharon, Albany county, and subsequently settled in New Scotland on the Helderbergs and there spent his remaining days. The last forty-two days of his life was spent fasting, partaking of nothing but water, believing, as he said, his Maker had commanded him to stop eating of the fruit of the vine. He died July 14, 1867. In April, 1803, he married Margaret Kniver, who was a native of Bethlehem, and their children were Peter, David, Jacob, Michael, Maria, Eva, John, William, Elizabeth, Martha, Catharine, Cornelia and Garrett; by his second wife one son was born, James. Jacob, the great-grandfather, was a native of Holland and spent his active life in the town of Bethlehem as a farmer. The second great-grandfather and the parent tree of the family of Flansburgh in America, was a native of Holland and settled in Bethlehem. He was a farmer and was murdered for his money by the tax collector, Schoonmaker, who seeing Mr. Flansburgh had money, returned in the night with an accomplice and asked for cider; while Mrs. Flansburgh was in the cellar after the cider, with an ax, he killed Mr. Flansburgh, secured the money and fled. He was apprehended, tried and executed.

Flansburgh, John, was born in the town of New Scotland, in 1836. Jacob, the great-grandfather, was a native of Holland and of good old Holland ancestry. He came to the United States and settled in the town of Bethlehem, where he spent his life as a farmer. He reared four children: John P., Elizabeth, Sophia and Cornelia. John P., the grandfather, was born in the town of Bethlehem in September, 1784, and died in July, 1867. In 1803 he was married to Margaret Kniver of Bethlehem, and their children were Peter, David, Jacob, Michael, Maria, Eva, John, William, Elizabeth, Matthew, Kate, Cornelia and Garrett. He was married twice, the issue of the last marriage being one son, James. He removed to Sharon, Albany county, thence to the Helderberg in the town of New Scotland in 1809. He was a lifelong farmer, who began poor and by his energy and ambition he accumulated a good property. He was married to Maria Simmons, who was born in New Scotland and daughter of Andrew Simmons, by whom seven children were born: John, Margaret J., Mary Ann, Catherine J., Caroline, Ellen and Rufus. His second wife was Catherine Simmons, a sister of his first wife, by whom two children were born, Harriet and Ida. His second wife died in 1892. John Flansburgh worked on his father's farm and attended the common schools, and when twenty-five years of age embarked in farming for himself. He soon accumulated enough to purchase his present farm, of 150 acres, upon which he has made many improvements. He served his town as excise commissioner and collector. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, Clarksville Grange, of which he is treasurer. In 1860 he married Catherine J., born in New Scotland and daughter of John and Betsey (Brate) Radley. Their children are Peter, who married Ida Relyea and has one child, and Lizzie, wife of Elsbree Jones.

Flansburgh, Rufus, was born in the town of New Scotland, December 31, 1848. The second great-grandfather of Rufus Flanbsurgh, the parent tree of the family in America, was a native of Holland and settled in Albany county, where he was a farmer, and was murdered for his money. Jacob, the great-grandfather of Rufus, was a native of Holland and spent his active life in the town of Bethlehem as a farmer, and his children were John P., Eliza, Sophia and Cornelia. John P. Flansburgh, the grandfather, was born in Bethlehem, September 23, 1784, and was a lifelong and successful farmer, spending his last days in the town of New Scotland. The last forty-two days of his life were spent in fasting, partaking of nothing but water, believing that his maker had demanded him to cease partaking of the fruit of the vine. He died in July, 1867. In April, 1803, he married Margaret Kniver, and their children were Peter, David, Jacob, Michael, Maria, Eva, John, William, Elizabeth, Martha, Catharine and Garrett. Michael Flansburgh, the father, was born in New Scotland, where he too was a lifelong and successful farmer. His first wife was Maria Simmons, a daughter of Andrew Simmons, and their children were John, Margaret I., Mary Ann, Catharine J., Caroline, Ellen and Rufus. His wife died in May, 1851; his second wife was Catharine, a sister of his first wife, and they had two children, Harriett and Ida. He died in 1888 and his wife in 1892. Rufus Flansburgh was educated in the common schools. When twenty-one he began life for himself on a farm belonging to his father-in-law, where he resided until 1888. In connection with farming he dealt to a considerable extent in horses and cattle. He erected him a residence in Voorheesville and in 1890 erected a store in the village, in which he conducted a general mercantile business until 1893, when, to settle the estate of his father-in-law, he purchased the farm of 180 acres, where he had lived so long. He leased his store property and devoted his time to looking after his farming interests, and in the spring of 1896 took personal management of his farm, yet resides in the village. Mr. Flansburgh is a Republican, and while always interested in the political welfare of his town, is not an aspirant to public office, always declining proffered nominations. December 25, 1873, he married Catharine, daughter of Peter and Hannah (Brate) Weidman, of New Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Flansburgh are liberal supporters of all the churches in the village, but are members of none.

Fletcher, Jones A., son of Benjamin and Polly (Kidder) Fletcher, was born April 2, 1835. in Woodstock, Vt. He was educated in the public schools and seminary of Woodstock and learned the trade of painter, which he followed until 1861, when he enlisted in the 8th Conn. Regt., in which he was a sergeant. After the war he settled in Troy, N. Y., where he followed his trade until 1873, when he moved to Green Island, Albany county, and opened a grocery store nearly opposite where he is now located. In 1886 he erected the building in which he is now doing business. Mr. Fletcher is a member of Post Tibbitts G. A. R., of Troy, and Green Island Lodge No. 360, I. O. O. F. In 1860 he married Rachel Van Leuvan, of Troy, N. Y., and they have one son, Fred.

Foley, Edward, has been one of the leading builders and contractors of Cohoes, where he came in 1865 to take charge of the building of the Cohoes Company dam. He was educated in the county schools of Ireland, where he was born in 1831. He also acquired the mason's trade there, and came to America, to New York city, when he was seventeen years old. After two years he came to Albany and there superintended bridge construction and church building, erecting St. Peter's church and other buildings. In Cohoes he built the Harmony Mill, one of the largest in the world, the Episcopal church, and other smaller buildings. By his untiring efforts he has made a financial success, and now lives a retired life. He has five children, the elder son, Edward, Jr., is now a resident of Kansas City, and is engaged in the real estate business.

Foley, James H., one of the trustees of what was then the village of West Troy, was elected in 1886 and has served in that capacity the longest of any of the present officers. He was also elected town clerk in 1894, serving two years. Mr. Foley is a native of Watervliet, born in 1859, and is a son of Denis Foley, a farmer and a milk-man, now retired. Mr. Foley always lived on his father's farm until he engaged in the liquor store at No. 16 Broadway, his present location. He is a member of the Gleason Hook and Ladder Company and was a member of the Volunteer Hose Company until their disbandment.

Fonda, Douw H., son of Garrett T. B. and Rachel (Polhemus) Fonda, was born September 10, 1831, in Fonda, N. Y., which derives its name from the family. The first American ancestor was (1) Jellis Douwse Fonda, who came from Holland and was in Beverwyck as early as 1654. The line is (2) Douw Jellise Fonda, who resided at Lubberdeland (Troy) in 1676; (3) Jellis Adam Fonda, born in 1668, married a daughter of Peter Winne in 1695; (4) Douw Fonda, of Caughnawaga (now Fonda), who served in the Revolutionary war and was killed by the Indians in 1780; (5) Adam; (6) Douw Adam Fonda, member of the Legislature, died in 1855; and (7) Garrett T. B. Fonda, who was born in Fonda in 1808. Douw H. Fonda, after completing a common school education, engaged in railroading. He was then a mere boy. When thirteen he went to New York city as clerk in a men's furnishing store, where he remained two years. Returning home he finally became a clerk in a general store in Rome, N. Y., and two years later engaged in railroading, being ticket agent at Palatine Bridge under the later Hon. Webster Wagner for four years. In September, 1853, he became teller of a bank in Canajoharie and two years later was made cashier, which position he held until 1865, when he came to Albany as a partner in the wholesale drug firm of Fonda & Bagley, the founders of the business being Thomas and Joseph Russell, who were succeeded by a Mr. Pulling, who was followed by J. H. McClure & Co., whom Fonda & Bagley bought out. During all these changes the business has been located at Nos. 70-72 State street and No. 13 Norton street and is the oldest of the kind in the city. In 1877 Mr. Fonda became sole proprietor and in 1879 he formed the firm of D. H. Fonda & Co., by admitting Henry R. Wright and William B. French. In 1889 the Douw H. Fonda Drug Company was incorpor- ated and since then Mr. Fonda has been its president. He is a member of Temple Lodge No. 14, F. & A. M., and has served as school commissioner two terms. He married first at Canajoharie. Mary A. French, and after her death he married Ellen A. Barker of Barry, Vt.

Fookes, Henry H., son of Henry H. and Cynthia (Woodyard) Fookes, farmers, was born in Falmouth, Ky., April 29, 1857, was graduated from the high school at Xenia, Ohio, in 1874 and engaged in the wholesale shoe business in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained until 1893. September 1, 1893, he came to Albany as general sales agent for the National Cash Register Company, which position he still holds. This company was the first in the world to manufacture cash registers and now owns nearly 350 patents and does business in every civilized country on the globe. The manufactory is located at Dayton, Ohio, where about 1,500 hands are employed; all kinds of autographic, manifolding and cash registers are made. The first inventions date from about 1882; the company was the original patentee and owns the foundation patents. The Albany agency was established in 1886 and controls the eastern half of New York State outside New York and Brooklyn, and is the eighth in importance in this country.

Ford, Charles R., is a son of the late George F. Ford of Cohoes, a well known insurance and real estate agent, a man well known for his benevolence and a good citizen. Mr. Ford was born about thirty years ago, and as a boy attended the public schools of the city, from which he left to accept a position with Joseph Stevens, the newsdealer, where he became a clerk and acted as a newsboy. It was not long before he received an appointment as general delivery clerk at the post-office under James H. Masten, the postmaster. Here he served faithfully for two years until called to a position as messenger in the National Bank in 1884. Mr. Ford served as discount clerk and individual bookkeeper through advancement until February 1, 1896, when he received the appointment as treasurer of the Cohoes Savings Institution, one of the most honored positions that can come to a man, especially one as young as Mr. Ford. It is a position of trust, as the 4,800 depositors, representing nearly $2,000,000 of the people's money, is under his direct charge. Mr. Ford, while not holding any political position, takes a deep interest in all public affairs, and is usually found battling for good government. He is recording secretary and a member of the Board of Directors of the Young Men's Christian Association and is one of its charter members. He is also a member of the Business Men's Association. As an active member of St. John's church, he has always taken a prominent part in its advancement, and is connected with many of its societies. Mr. Ford is also a member of the firm of Ford & Sons, real estate and insurance agents, 28 Main street, one of the leading agencies of the city, he having charge of the real estate department.

Foster, E. H., identified with the most successful printing establishment of Albany county, the well known Foster & Co. printing, engraving and binding, of Cohoes, Remsen and Factory streets, is a native of Cohoes. He was born in 1849, and is the son of Samuel H. Foster, a lawyer who came here in 1846 from Albany. The latter was for many years president of the Board of Education here, holding the position at the time of his death. E. H. Foster was educated in the public schools here, and acquired a thorough knowledge of the printing business. He served an apprenticeship on the Cohoes Cataract and afterwards became foreman of the composing room of the Cohoes Democrat. Later he went in business with R. S. Clark of Cohoes; however, the firm was dissolved and Mr. Foster has controlled the establishment himself since 1889. Being a man of unusual enterprise, the house stands second to none in amount or quality of work accomplished. As a citizen Mr. Foster commands the highest respect and is honored by a host of friends. In 1867 he married Mary MacKerlie of Amsterdam, N. Y. They are the parents of seven children, three of whom are living: Fred C., Samuel H. and Eugene A. For four years he was a member of the Board of Hospital Commissioners of the city of Cohoes.

Foster, Henry S., is a son of John Newton Foster, who was born in Utica, N. Y., June 28, 1836, and came to Albany about 1838, his parents having died while he was an infant. John N. was apprenticed to the gilding trade in the family of Lawson Annesley, and later engaged in the picture frame business under the firm name of Chapin & Foster. From about 1873 he was connected with the fire insurance patrol, as superintendent. He was member of assembly in 1878, superintendent of the poor two years, member of Co. A, of the Old Guard, and during the panic of 1873 conducted a store for the relief of distressed families. He died April 13, 1895. He married Mary A. Snyder, who survives, and of their six children Fred H. died December 27, 1895. Henry S. Foster, born in Albany, July 16, 1865, became a clerk at the age of fifteen in the office of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Albany (incorporated 1836), with which he has ever since been connected, serving as bookkeeper, cashier, etc. On the death of George Cuyler in November, 1893, he was elected secretary and general manager. He also represents a number of other large American and foreign fire insurance companies as well as life and accident insurance. He is a local director of the New York Mutual Savings and Loan Association, a charter member (1886) of the Empire Curling Club, and has been secretary of the latter since its incorporation in 1891. He has been prominently identified with, and a subordinate officer in, the Grand Lodge, I. O. O. F., is a member of Temple Lodge. No. U. F. & A. M., the Albany Club, and other local institutions. The following in relation to the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Albany is quoted from "The Industries of Albany":

For sixty years the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of this city has ably demonstrated the beneficence and usefulness of its policy of fire insurance, which being divested of the purest commercial element that attaches to that of the great majority of insurance companies, results in a great saving to its patrons, while at the same time affords them equal safety and positive indemnity in case of loss and damage by fire. This company was organized in 1836, and its busi- ness is a purely mutual one, every policy-holder being a beneficiary in the profits arising from the business. What the savings bank is in banking, the Mutual Fire Insurance Company is in fire insurance, and during its long and honorable career it has saved to its customers over $500,000, while it has paid all just claims for losses that have been incurred. The company insures all desirable property for one or three years on the cash or note plan, and all its risks are carefully placed, the business being conducted with the greatest caution. From the last public statement (dated January 1, 1897, we note that the net cash assets of the company were $183,118.21, which amount would be entirely used for the payment of claims before the premium notes of $319,063.81 would be resorted to. The gross available assets are $502,182.02.) The company's rates are as low as any other first-class company, and as the profits are divided among the policy-holders, are in fact much lower than those obtainable elsewhere. The company's line of business under the able management of the executive committee and of Mr. H. S. Foster, secretary and general manager, has been very desirable.

Fredendall, Henry, was born in the town of Guilderland in October, 1832. His father, Henry, was born in the town of Knox about 1812. He spent his whole life as a farmer. He was quite successful, beginning with nothing, but by hard work accumulated a good property and owned 180 acres. He spent most of his life in Guilderland. His wife was Elizabeth Pitcher, daughter of Peter Pitcher, who was a farmer in the town of Knox; their children were Henry, Caroline, Eliza and Mathias. Mr. Fredendall and his wife were members of the Lutheran church. He died in 1890 and she died in 1889, at the age of seventy years. Mathias, the grandfather, was a successful farmer of the town of Knox; he died in Guilderland. He reared eleven children, five sons and six daughters. Henry Fredendall attended the common schools and lived with his father on the farm, with the exception of three years, up to 1873, when he began for himself on a portion of the farm, where he has since resided, doing general farming, and his efforts have been crowned with success. In 1869 he married Miss Anna E., daughter of Peter Frederick, by whom one child has been born, Carrie, wife of Henry Weraple. Mr. and Mrs. Fredendall are both members of the Lutheran church, in which he has been deacon and elder for twenty years. Mrs. Fredendall is a member of the Ladies' Missionary Society.

Frederick, Charles F., son of Philip and Catharine (Gomph) Frederick, was born in Albany, N. Y., August 21, 1865. He is a grandson of Philip Frederick, who was born in Germany, and who came to Albany in 1830, where he engaged in the furniture business and was one of the best known and most highly respected citizens of Albany. His son, the father of the subject of this sketch, followed his father's business with the addition of the undertaker's business, and gave promise of building up a remarkable business, but was cut off in early manhood. He died in 1874, aged thirty-seven, leaving a family of eight children, all of whom are now living. He was prominent in fraternal and social circles, being a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and Knight of Pythias; he was also an ex-member of the 25th Regiment, and in 1870 represented the then Tenth ward in the Board of Supervisors. Charles F. Frederick, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools and learned the trade of bookbinder with R. G. Hendrie, with whom he remained eight years; at the end of five years he was promoted to the position of foreman of Mr. Hendrie's establishment and held that position when he left Mr. Hendrie's employ. In 1886 Mr. Frederick removed to Washington, D. C, where he obtained an appointment as bookbinder in the government printing office and remained there six years, resign- ing to go into the grocery business in Washington. He was compelled to abandon this business after three years owing to ill health, and in September, 1895, returned to Albany. In January, 1896, he took a course in the United States Embalming College in New York city, from which he received a diploma. In March of the same year he started his present business, that of undertaker and embalmer, at No. 118 Washington avenue. Mr. Frederick is a member of the American Legion of Honor, the International Brotherhood of Bookbinders and Clinton Lodge No. 7, I. O. O. F. November 16, 1887, he married Sarah Furman of Albany, and they have one son, Charles F., Jr.

Frederick, Nathan, was born in the town of Guilderland, August 21, 1851. Michael Frederick, his great grandfather, was a native of Germany, born in 1725, and migrated to America when a young man, settling in the town of Guilderland on a tract of 270 acres, which was then a forest, and there made him a home. Mathias, the grandfather of Nathan Frederick, was born on his father's homestead in Guilderland in 1775. He came in possession of half of his father's farm and there spent his life. His wife was Anna Van Auken, and they had four sons and three daughters. He died June 13, 1848; his wife survived him many years and died September 28, 1875. Peter M. Frederick, the father of Nathan, was born in Guilderland on the homestead in 1818. He was the oldest of his father's sons and after the death of his father took charge of the farm. He and his brother Henry later purchased the farm from the heirs and they subsequently divided. To his share Peter M. added until he owned 153 acres; here he raised his family and lives at the present time, and two of his sons now run the farm. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Hart, and their children are: Ann Eliza, Mary, William, Sarah, Martha, Nathan, Henry, Alfred and Amanda. His wife died in February, 1876, at the age of fifty-five. She was a member of the Lutheran church; Mr. Frederick is also a member of the same church, in which he has officiated as deacon and elder for many years. Nathan Frederick was educated in the common district schools and left home when twenty-three and engaged at farming in the town of Coeymans, where he lived but one year, when he returned to Guilderland and bought a farm in partnership with his brother-in-law, J. Oggsbury. After two years he sold his interest in the farm and removed to Clarksville, and rented the farm of 133 acres which he now owns, and has since been engaged in general husbandry. Mr. Frederick is a staunch Democrat. He is an active member of the Patrons of Husbandry, Clarksville Lodge No. 781, in which he is steward and was one of the leading charter members, the lodge being organized in his house in January, 1893. Mr. Frederick has manifested an active interest in the progress of the proposed Albany, Helderberg & Schoharie Electric Railroad, and was also a worker on the proposed New York, Schenectady & Ogdensburg Railroad, and was with the engineers five months while surveying the line. In 1873 Mr. Frederick married Miss Elena V. A. McCulloch, daughter of William and Maria (Slingerland) McCulloch, and their children are Maria, Peter M., Harrett and Helen. They are both members of the Reformed church, in which Mr. Frederick has filled the office of deacon for ten years. Mrs. Frederick was a teacher in the schools of the town of New Scotland for nine years before her marriage to Nathan Frederick.

Frederick, Stephen V., was born in Guilderland on the farm he now owns, March 17, 1831. Christopher, his father, was born in the same place in 1793. He was one of three sons: Stephen, Christopher and Jacob, and three daughters: Elizabeth, Mary and Esther, born to Michael, a farmer by occupation, who was also born on the same farm. He was a son of Stephen, born in Guilderland. His father, Michael, came from Germany in about 1750 and took up a tract of land of about 900 acres in the town of Guilderland. Christopher, the father of Mr. Frederick, was a successful farmer and a soldier in the war of 1813. His wife was Appolonia Hilton, daughter of James Hilton. They reared three sons and four daughters. He lived to be eighty-seven years old and his wife lived to be seventy-eight. Mr. Frederick received a good common school education, and when twenty-six years of age began to teach school, which he followed for nine years. In 1861 he was elected supervisor and was re-elected for five consecutive years. In the fall of 1866 he was elected county treasurer, which office he filled for three years. He has also filled many minor offices in his town and was often called upon to draw up wills and settle estates. He has added to the original homestead until he now owns 600 acres, and also owns property in Albany, and is an enterprising and successful man. January 14, 1863, he was married to Annie Reid, of New Scotland, and daughter of Alexander Reid. Their children are Margaret, Ada and Lona. Mr. Frederick was taught the Holland language by his mother and still retains a knowledge of that tongue.

Friend, Charles M., was born in Albany, November 10, 1869, and is a son of Meyer and Caroline (Goodman) Friend. Meyer Friend, born in Saxemeinegen, Saxony, Germany, December 4, 1809, came to Albany about 1838, among the first Jewish settlers and died here in 1890. He was a jeweler, one of the organizers, vice-president and trustee of the old Jewish synagogue and a prominent citizen among his race. He had eight children, the younger being the subject of this sketch. Charles M. was graduated from the Albany High School in 1888, read law with and became managing clerk for Eaton & Kirchwey, attended the Albany Law School and was admitted to the bar at Saratoga in 1891. He remained with his preceptors until January, 1893, when he was made assistant to the second deputy under Attorney-General Simon W. Rosendale, a position he held until December 81, 1898. He was then associated with Hon. James M. Eaton, district attorney of Albany county, until March, 1895, when he opened an office for himself. He is an active Democrat, a member of the Albany Democratic club, secretary of the Adelphi Club, president of Gideon Lodge, No. 140, L O. B. B., a member of Capital City Lodge, No. 440, I. O. O. F. , and treasurer of Beth Emeth Sunday School. In 1896 he was appointed special law examiner in the civil service department of the State of New York.

Frost, J. Sheldon, was born in the town of Rensselaerville, Albany county, December 1, 1864. His parents were John D. and Phebe (Sheldon) Frost. Early in the seventeenth century, three Frost brothers came from England and settled on Long Island. Afterwards the branch of the family from which James Sheldon Frost is descended removed to Dutchess county, N. Y., and in 1805 they removed to the town of Rensselaerville. The property they took in 1805 is still in the possession of the family. Mr. J. Sheldon Frost's great-great-grandfather, Isaac Frost, had fourteen children, eight of whom lived to be over eighty years of age. Mr. Frost's great-great-grandfather on his mother's side was a sea captain and spent a part of his life exploring Africa. All his ancestors were members of the Society of Friends. Mr. Frost was educated at public and private schools and at Friends College at Locust Valley, Long Island. Later he attended the Albany Business College, and in 1888 was graduated from the Albany Law School and in May of the same year was admitted to practice. He began his study of law in the office of Draper & Chester and after Mr. Draper's withdrawal he remained with Judge Chester until 1890, since which time he has successfully practiced his profession in Albany. Mr. Frost is a member of Wadsworth Lodge No. 417, F. & A. M., Court Schuyler No. 1754, I. O. F., and of Jay Chapter, Phi Delta Phi fraternity; also a member of Albany Senate No. 611, K. A. E. O. In 1893 Mr. Frost was one of a committee of three to investigate the affairs of the Western Farm Mortgage Trust Company of Denver, on behalf of eastern holders, and represents large holdings in litigation now pending in the Federal Courts.

Fuller, Aaron, a prominent landmark, was born in the town of Guilderland, within a mile of where he now resides, in 1832. He is the son of Major John Fuller, who was born in New Scotland; one of the four sons and two daughters born to Aaron, and of Scotch ancestry. He was a farmer in New Scotland and his wife was Margaret McMillin. Major John was a great military man and a member of the State militia. By vocation he was a farmer. He settled in the town of Guilderland and on this land was later located Fuller's Station. He was an active and public spirited man and was interested in all town enterprises, and was the founder of town insurance, and through his efforts were established the first town insurance organizations in the State of New York. He was a member of assembly in 1847; his wife was Harriet Moak, daughter of William Moak; she was born in New Scotland; they reared six daughters and one son. Mr. Fuller died m 1883, aged eighty and his wife in 1861, aged fifty-eight. Aaron Fuller attended the common schools and spent two years at the Schoharie Academy, and as he was the only son, he remained with his father for many years, and then embarked for himself by purchasing his present farm, and for the past thirty years has been engaged extensively in the hay and straw business at Fuller's Station, where he now resides, having leased his farm. He has held many important town offices, having served as supervisor of the town for four years, and one term as commissioner. In the fall of 1881 he was elected to represent the Second Assembly district of Albany county in the Assembly. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Noah Lodge, No. 754, and was formerly a member of Temple Lodge, No. 14, of Albany, and has been a member for forty years. In February, 1862, he married Ada Fitch, who was born in New Scotland, a daughter of Ebenezer A. Fitch; she died in August of the same year.

Fursman, Jesse William, son of William H. and Elizabeth (Rastall) Fursman, was born in Schenectady, N. Y., December 4, 1865, and is descended from a long line of English ancestors who settled in Westchester county in the early part of the seventeenth century. On the maternal side, Mr. Fursman is descended from Johannes Halsaerdt of Holland, who came to America in 1690; many of the descendants of this Hollander are now living in Washington county. Jesse W. Fursman was educated in the Rome Free Academy, from which he was graduated in 1883; after leaving the academy he was employed in Rome four years as traveling salesman for the Aland Patent Blower Co. He left this position to accept a similar one with a trunk and bag house of Herkimer, N. Y., and after two years he moved to Oswego, N. Y., where he learned shorthand in the business college, subsequently being employed by T. Kingsford & Son as stenographer for three years. From Oswego Mr. Fursman moved to Syracuse, N. Y., where he was employed for a time by the Sherwood Harness Co., and for the past five years he has been engaged with the Albany branch of the Smith-Premier Typewriter Co. Mr. Fursman is very popular with the young men of Albany and is a member of Temple Lodge, F. & A. M., the Knights of Pythias and Co. B, 16th Batt., N. G. N. Y. October 20, 1891, he married Kate Dwyer of Herkimer, N. Y., and they have two children. Edgar Seward and Marian.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page