John N. Briggs is a son of Albert N. and a grandson of Newton Briggs, who came to Coeymans, Albany county, from Sherman, Conn., in 1804. Mr. Briggs was born in Coeymans, N. Y. , in 1838, and received a practical common school education. In 1866 he married Elizabeth M. , daughter of James and Maria Trego, of New Baltimore, N. Y. He has always been a resident of his native town. In 1865 he purchased his father's business, viz., general store and North River blue stone, which he successfully continued for ten years. In 1877 he sold out his mercantile business at Coeymans and engaged in the coal trade at Albany, N. Y., which he has since conducted, having yards in both Coeymans and Albany. In 1879 he purchased and fitted up Baerena Park, a beautiful plat of ground on Baeren Island, near Coeymans Landing, which he has made popular and attractive as a summer resort for picnickers and excursionists. In 1881 he engaged in the ice business, and has facilities for storing 100,000 tons of ice annually in his houses in Coeymans, which he sells at his own depots in New York city. He has invented and patented several valuable facilities for the use of ice men, which have come into general use throughout the ice producing belt. Mr. Briggs is general superintendent of the ice cutting tools and machinery of the Consolidated Ice Company of New York city, which harvests and sells annually over 2,000,000 tons of ice. Is one of the incorporators and president of the Callan Road Improvement Company of Albany, and is a dealer in North River blue stone. He is a man of sound judgment, of quick and accurate perception, of indomitable energy and devotes to each of his various business enterprises personal supervision. He has been uniformly successful in business, is highly esteemed and respected by all who know him. He is a charter member of Onesquethau Lodge No. 804, F. & A. M., of Coeymans, and as a citizen is public spirited, progressive and influential.
Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page