William Beattie, of the well known Beattie Machine Works, located on Amity street, Cohoes. Cohoes, with his rare genius, has contributed to mechanics new inventions which have opened an era of possibilities heretofore unknown in their business. This benefactor of his fellow men was born at Albany in 1851. He was the son of Walter Beattie, a machinist. He acquired his knowledge of machinery with John Rogers & Son, manufacturers of engines and other machinery at Albany, N. Y. After coming to Cohoes in 1871, he was associated with several of the leading machine shops and mills until 1891. In 1891 he established the present enterprise, the products of which are demanded throughout the United States, Canada and many foreign countries. Mr. Beattie is sole manufacturer of Beattie's patent loopers, and other valuable patents on machinery used in the manufacture of the Norris patent turning machines for shirt bosoms, collars and cuffs, tabs, bands, etc., McCreary's rib-cutter, experimental work and and knitting machinery. In 1895 he erected a new and commodious building fully equipped with all requisite machine tools, operated by steam power. He makes experimental work a specialty, and has taken out five patents himself. Mr. Beattie has been water commissioner for twelve years, and was a member of the Board of Health prior to that time. He is a member of Cohoes Lodge and Chapter, also a member of Apollo Commandery of Troy. He was married January 1, 1872, to Ellen Ayres of Cohoes. They have three children: Walter J. is draughtsman and bookkeeper in his father's establishment, William H. and Grace M.
Go Back to Albany County Biographies
Go Back to Home Page